Re: Saddle sore, how to prepare for century?

Tom Sherman

Guest

<http://www.ransbikes.com/F508.htm>.

> A random cyclist wrote:

> > I've registered for an upcoming century and have two weeks to go.  I was
> > about to start increasing my daily mileage (from ~30), but as my luck
> > would have it I recently developed a raised sore spot where the padding
> > in my cycling shorts ends.  I've stayed off of the bike for four days
> > now and it's not going away.  The skin isn't broken, but I'm still
> > afraid to ride any more and potentially inflame it.  I've tried
> > neosporin, bag balm, and just plain keeping it clean and dry.  Any other
> > approaches/advice?   Ride through it?

Amazing! I climbed on a brand new custom Cannondale Upright (16lbs)
owned by the son of a friend just two weeks. It was black with gold
highlighs. I looked awesome. Yet I could not believe the seat or the
riding position. The seat was a virtually unpadded RAIL and
significanty higher than the drop steering! Hello! I thought this is
F!@#$4 nuts! Why would anyone who wants to cycle for fun, fitness,
and/or transportation want to endure that seat and riding position for
5 miles let alone 100!

Jim Reilly
Reading, PA

stratrider wrote:

> Amazing! I climbed on a brand new custom Cannondale Upright (16lbs)
> owned by the son of a friend just two weeks. It was black with gold
> highlighs. I looked awesome. Yet I could not believe the seat or the
> riding position. The seat was a virtually unpadded RAIL and
> significanty higher than the drop steering! Hello! I thought this is
> F!@#$4 nuts! Why would anyone who wants to cycle for fun, fitness,
> and/or transportation want to endure that seat and riding position for
> 5 miles let alone 100!

Image, speed, possibly both.

Look at the clothes and shoes lots of folk endure on a daily basis just
to project a certain image, and that's all day, day in, day out, not
just on bike rides.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

stratrider wrote:
>> A random cyclist wrote:

>>> I've registered for an upcoming century and have two weeks to go. I
>>> was about to start increasing my daily mileage (from ~30), but as
>>> my luck would have it I recently developed a raised sore spot where
>>> the padding in my cycling shorts ends. I've stayed off of the bike
>>> for four days now and it's not going away. The skin isn't broken,
>>> but I'm still afraid to ride any more and potentially inflame it.
>>> I've tried neosporin, bag balm, and just plain keeping it clean and
>>> dry. Any other approaches/advice? Ride through it?

> Amazing! I climbed on a brand new custom Cannondale Upright (16lbs)
> owned by the son of a friend just two weeks. It was black with gold
> highlighs. I looked awesome. Yet I could not believe the seat or the
> riding position. The seat was a virtually unpadded RAIL and
> significanty higher than the drop steering! Hello! I thought this is
> F!@#$4 nuts! Why would anyone who wants to cycle for fun, fitness,
> and/or transportation want to endure that seat and riding position for
> 5 miles let alone 100!

Any bike can be a torture device if it's not set up for a given rider.
Jumping on someone else's ride will feel very strange 9 times out of 10.

stratrider aka Jim Reilly wrote:
>> A random cyclist wrote:
>>> I've registered for an upcoming century and have two weeks to go. I was
>>> about to start increasing my daily mileage (from ~30), but as my luck
>>> would have it I recently developed a raised sore spot where the padding
>>> in my cycling shorts ends. I've stayed off of the bike for four days
>>> now and it's not going away. The skin isn't broken, but I'm still
>>> afraid to ride any more and potentially inflame it. I've tried
>>> neosporin, bag balm, and just plain keeping it clean and dry. Any other
>>> approaches/advice? Ride through it?

> Amazing! I climbed on a brand new custom Cannondale Upright (16lbs)
> owned by the son of a friend just two weeks. It was black with gold
> highlighs. I looked awesome. Yet I could not believe the seat or the
> riding position. The seat was a virtually unpadded RAIL and
> significanty higher than the drop steering! Hello! I thought this is
> F!@#$4 nuts! Why would anyone who wants to cycle for fun, fitness,
> and/or transportation want to endure that seat and riding position for
> 5 miles let alone 100!

Hey Jim, get bent!

(Oh wait, Jim is already 'bent). ;)