Re: Safety:- Cycling on the pavement v cycling on the road.

Geraint Jones

Guest
Matt B <"matt.bourke"@nospam.london.com> wrote:
| It is though similar to the way motorists are expected to behave on
| roads which too are currently shared by more vulnerable users.

I tell you what, let's make car drivers use the pavements and leave
the roads for a straight fight between heavy goods, public transport
and cyclists.

Geraint Jones wrote:
> Matt B <"matt.bourke"@nospam.london.com> wrote:
> | It is though similar to the way motorists are expected to behave on
> | roads which too are currently shared by more vulnerable users.
>
> I tell you what, let's make car drivers use the pavements and leave
> the roads for a straight fight between heavy goods, public transport
> and cyclists.

Or better still, turn all urban/village social road space into
"pavement", and let pedestrians, cyclists, and motorists share it
equally. Let's call it "Shared Space". Ah, it's already been thought
of, and, apparently, virtually eliminates serious road casualties /and/
reduces congestion.

Should we support it, even if it might mean that "commuter cyclists"
would have to tolerate and respect other road users?

--
Matt B

"Matt B" <"matt.bourke"@nospam.london.com> wrote

[snip]

> Or better still, turn all urban/village social road space into
> "pavement", and let pedestrians, cyclists, and motorists share it
> equally. Let's call it "Shared Space". Ah, it's already been
> thought of, and, apparently, virtually eliminates serious road
> casualties /and/ reduces congestion.
>
> Should we support it, even if it might mean that "commuter
> cyclists" would have to tolerate and respect other road users?

I suggest that before suddenly modifying ***all*** road space, we
start by trying it on one road, to see if it really does work.
Exhibition Road, South Kensington, London, looks as if it is to be
the pilot scheme.

To my awestruck eye, the plan looks as if it is to include all the
road right down to South Kensington tube station. If it works where
Exhibition Road crosses Cromwell Road it ought to work anywhere,
Cromwell road being the main conduit for traffic out of London to all
points west. Whether it works or not, it should be pretty
interesting to see what happens the first day

Jeremy Parker

"Jeremy Parker" <[email protected]> a écrit:

> I suggest that before suddenly modifying ***all*** road space,
> we start by trying it on one road, to see if it really does work.
> Exhibition Road, South Kensington, London, looks as if it is
> to be the pilot scheme.

> To my awestruck eye, the plan looks as if it is to include all the road
> right down to South Kensington tube station. If it works
> where Exhibition Road crosses Cromwell Road it ought to
> work anywhere, Cromwell road being the main conduit for
> traffic out of London to all points west.

They're using the pedestrian tunnel that joins South Kensington station to
the museums to link the two separate zones. You can see the "travelators" on
most of the artists' impressions:

http://www.rbkc.gov.uk/environmentalservices/general/ex_road_concept.asp

Cromwell Road

A new pair of inclined travelators will link the southern section
of the road into the renovated subway, allowing visitors to pass
underneath the busy and polluted Cromwell Road whilst still
enjoying the new above-ground environment on Exhibition Road.

http://www.alwaystouchout.com/project/110

Still, it's a start.

James Thomson