Re: Sashimi vs. sushi quality

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Amarantha, Jan 4, 2005.

  1. Amarantha

    Amarantha Guest

    Mite <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I think I saw once beef carpaccio referred to as sashimi
    > too.

    I believe this is known as tataki. Lovely dipped in raw egg yolk :)

    nil illegitimi carborundum

    Tags:

  2. Mite

    Mite Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Amarantha <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Mite <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >

    > > I think I saw once beef carpaccio referred to as sashimi
    > > too.
    > >

    > I believe this is known as tataki. Lovely dipped in raw egg yolk :)

    Actually, tataki is minced raw meat.

    My favorite: Tataki of horse mackerel (Aji no tataki)

    Take sashimi-grade horse mackerel fillet (without bones & skin) and chop
    it roughly. Cut finely some green onion and grate some fresh ginger
    root. Then "beat" (= tataku) together with a good knife the horse
    mackerel, green onion and ginger until they are well mixed and minced.
    Refrigerate 1 hour. Serve with soy sauce, and eventually lime. Eat with
    cooked Japanese rice.

    See the detailed recipe at http://www.TheRecipeDatabase.com

    Mite
    http://www.shopncook.com

  3. Clay Irving

    Clay Irving Guest

    On 2005-01-11, Mite <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Actually, tataki is minced raw meat.

    All tataki preparations I've seen (beef or tuna) are pieces of meat cut a
    little thicker than sashimi, seared on the outside, and served with Ponzu.
    Both usually has black pepper "beat" or "patted" into the meat.

    This is a different recipe I found from the city of Kochi Web site:

    Katsuo Tataki

    Bonito fish is cut into thirds and then smoked over a fire of straw.
    A mixture of vinegar, soy sauce and salt is then rubbed into the surface
    which is then lightly tenderized by patting with the hand or with the
    flat of a knife. It is then sliced a bit more thickly than sashimi.

    Tataki is served with sliced spring onion, Japanese basil, myoga
    (Japanese ginger), and garlic. Tataki is truly the king of Sawachi
    in Tosa. Tataki can also be made from fish other than bonito.

    --
    Clay Irving <[email protected]>
    I don't know if it's what you want, but it's what you get. :)