Re-sealing Frogs

M. Chandler

Guest
I tried refreashing the grease in my Speedplay Frog pedals, and noticed
that some of the grease was leaking out between the body halves (instead
of merely coming out around the axle). I suspect it's time to re-seal
the body, and was wondering if anyone had any pointers for which gasket
material to use.

Thanks,

--mc
--
Mark Chandler
Superior, CO

Steve Knight

Guest
On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 10:32:37 -0700, "M. Chandler" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I tried refreashing the grease in my Speedplay Frog pedals, and noticed
>that some of the grease was leaking out between the body halves (instead
>of merely coming out around the axle). I suspect it's time to re-seal
>the body, and was wondering if anyone had any pointers for which gasket
>material to use.

they are just somewhat glued together. myself unless you have some replacement
screws don't do it. the heads stripped on mine so they were not tight enough and
got all sloppy. I said the hell with it (I had two cleats break in 6 months) and
bought some bee bops.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Don't worry about Stripping the bolts or anything, I think you'd have
to be seriously overzealous to do so, I've done mine plenty of times
with no problems. I just bought some 'liquid gasket' from my local car
maintenance shop, it's probably just like silicone sealant but it puts
my mind at rest. Put a bead round the edge of one half of the pedal,
then put them back together again (don't tighten the bollocks off of it
or the gasket won't seal, and you might strip a bolt :-/ ) Never had
any problems doing it myself.

Hope that helps

Steve Knight

Guest
On 15 Feb 2005 01:45:30 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>Don't worry about Stripping the bolts or anything, I think you'd have
>to be seriously overzealous to do so, I've done mine plenty of times
>with no problems.

well I could not get them tight enough to stop wobbling. it took very little
effort for them to strip. the bolts are junk and way too soft. maybe the older
ones are better then the new ones.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

RonSonic

Guest
I'm sorry, but every time I scroll past this thread on my news reader I am
alarmed by leaking Frenchmen.

Ron

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 01:03:11 GMT, RonSonic
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm sorry, but every time I scroll past this thread on my news reader I am
>alarmed by leaking Frenchmen.
>
>Ron

Dear Ron,

Re: Re-sealing Frogs?

Hmmm . . . I've heard of rere-mice, but not rere-frogs,
sealing or otherwise.

Titania

S o r n i

Guest
RonSonic wrote:
> I'm sorry, but every time I scroll past this thread on my news reader
> I am alarmed by leaking Frenchmen.

I keep picturing a French restaurant, and what they do with the amputee frog
torsos after serving up a heap 'o legs.
--
Changed user name just to ******** [email protected]

David L. Johnson

Guest
On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 18:29:31 -0700, carlfogel wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 01:03:11 GMT, RonSonic
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>I'm sorry, but every time I scroll past this thread on my news reader I am
>>alarmed by leaking Frenchmen.
>>
>>Ron
>>

> Dear Ron,
>
> Re: Re-sealing Frogs?
>
> Hmmm . . . I've heard of rere-mice, but not rere-frogs,

French sodomites?

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Deserves death! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve
_`\(,_ | death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to
(_)/ (_) | them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.
-- J. R. R. Tolkein

Jim Smith

Guest
"David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> writes:

> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 18:29:31 -0700, carlfogel wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 01:03:11 GMT, RonSonic
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>I'm sorry, but every time I scroll past this thread on my news reader I am
>>>alarmed by leaking Frenchmen.
>>>
>>>Ron
>>>

>> Dear Ron,
>>
>> Re: Re-sealing Frogs?
>>
>> Hmmm . . . I've heard of rere-mice, but not rere-frogs,

> French sodomites?

Is there another kind?

I kid, I kid!

David L. Johnson

Guest
On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 22:58:34 -0600, Jim Smith wrote:

> "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> writes:
>
>>> Re: Re-sealing Frogs?
>>>
>>> Hmmm . . . I've heard of rere-mice, but not rere-frogs,

>> French sodomites?

> Is there another kind?

Of Frenchman?

> I kid, I kid!

Moi, aussi.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not
_`\(,_ | certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to
(_)/ (_) | reality. -- Albert Einstein

Bob C

Guest
news:p[email protected]

>>> French sodomites?

>> Is there another kind?

> Of Frenchman?
>>
>> I kid, I kid!

> Moi, aussi.

What you're an Australian?
Bob C

> --
>
> David L. Johnson
>
> __o | As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not
> _`\(,_ | certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to
> (_)/ (_) | reality. -- Albert Einstein

Roy Zipris

Guest
A similar experience: after I regreased my Frogs, a small amount of
grease continued to seep out along the spindle as the pedals are
turned, whether by riding or manually in the stand. Initially, it was
only the right that did this, but just recently, the left also began to
leak.

Pedals are only a year old, with about 4,000 miles on them, and the
seepage continues, now hundreds of miles after the regreasing. I
suspect it's the o-ring, but I'm a mechanical nitwit. Any help? Thanks.
--Roy Zipris

Luke

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, Roy
Zipris <[email protected]> wrote:

> A similar experience: after I regreased my Frogs, a small amount of
> grease continued to seep out along the spindle as the pedals are
> turned, whether by riding or manually in the stand. Initially, it was
> only the right that did this, but just recently, the left also began to
> leak.
>
> Pedals are only a year old, with about 4,000 miles on them, and the
> seepage continues, now hundreds of miles after the regreasing. I
> suspect it's the o-ring, but I'm a mechanical nitwit. Any help? Thanks.

Slight seepage at the spindle is normal. This interface is not meant to
be completely impermeable; if it was the old grease would have no exit
point whenever fresh lubed was pumped into the Frogs. Also, as you've
pointed out, the pedal's rotation facilitates the lube creep.

The variance between your two pedals' creep may also be attributed to
the difference in the amount of grease pumped into each pedal.

luke

The original post was concerned with grease exiting the seam of the
Frog's (two plastic) body halves. This should NOT occur.

Frank Knox

Guest
"M. Chandler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I tried refreashing the grease in my Speedplay Frog pedals, and noticed
> that some of the grease was leaking out between the body halves (instead
> of merely coming out around the axle). I suspect it's time to re-seal
> the body, and was wondering if anyone had any pointers for which gasket
> material to use.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --mc
> --
> Mark Chandler
> Superior, CO
> http://www.MileHighSkates.com

Pull the pedals apart and clean them thoroughly. Buy gasket sealant from an
auto parts store and use that.