Re: Seat post awesomeness:

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by Fuego, Oct 25, 2004.

  1. Fuego

    Fuego Guest

    Ok, so here's the story:

    a while ago, my brother broke his KH seat. badness ensued. he had been
    bending the tongue on the seatpost routinely, and bending it back into
    shape, and now he broke the seat. A little while later, I bent and broke
    the seatpost on my brand new trials uni. I was pissed. luckily, we had a
    spare seatpost laying around, so I could still uni. now, we were
    determined to fix this problem. thanks to a picture posted by johnfoss,
    we got the idea to make a reenfoced ├╝ber-seatpost. so, here is the
    finished product, in all its wonderful glory and awesomeness.

    | Attachment filename: img_4471.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/243489|

    Fuego - Ride to Ruin, and a Red Dawn!

    "Unicycling is more about the center of concentration than the center of
    balance."

    If you don't want us riding on your concrete, don't make it in such damn
    interesting shapes!
    Fuego's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6983

  2. Fuego

    Fuego Guest

    here it is before painting:

    | Attachment filename: img_4475.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/243490|

    Fuego - Ride to Ruin, and a Red Dawn!

    "Unicycling is more about the center of concentration than the center of
    balance."

    If you don't want us riding on your concrete, don't make it in such damn
    interesting shapes!
    Fuego's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6983

  3. Fuego

    Fuego Guest

    and here is mine, with sexy holes:

    | Attachment filename: img_4477.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/243491|

    Fuego - Ride to Ruin, and a Red Dawn!

    "Unicycling is more about the center of concentration than the center of
    balance."

    If you don't want us riding on your concrete, don't make it in such damn
    interesting shapes!
    Fuego's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6983

  4. Fuego

    Fuego Guest

    and finally, a bottom view with the seatpost attached to the seat:

    | Attachment filename: img_4476.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/243492|

    Fuego - Ride to Ruin, and a Red Dawn!

    "Unicycling is more about the center of concentration than the center of
    balance."

    If you don't want us riding on your concrete, don't make it in such damn
    interesting shapes!
    Fuego's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6983

  5. sabin_a.

    sabin_a. Guest

  6. DigitalDave

    DigitalDave Guest

    Way to go there ...

    Looks sturdy to me :D

    Now you need to copywrite that puppy before someone else does.
    (I'm serious)
    I think theres money to made here ...

    --
    DigitalDave - scabless

    'nf7-s ~ xp2400mobile'
    (http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=21988)
    '19,748 3dm01' (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8191641)

    DigitalDave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8003

  7. I'm with DigitalDave on this one. You might be able to sell the design.
    It looks like a heavy piece of equipment, but it also looks like
    neither the seat nor the seat post has any chance of breaking.

    Excellent work!

    --
    onewheelwizzard - Upenn's "That Guy"

    "Joe is a Pirate Captain Shao-Lin Robot Kung-fu Indian War Dancing
    rapscallion." - Brennan Lee Mulligan
    onewheelwizzard's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3955

  8. daino149

    daino149 Guest

    Nice. I really like it. Did you use the setpost that broke, or are
    those new ones?

    As it happens, I just broke seatpost today. It's a stock Torker LX post
    that I was using with my Summit trials. The only reason I was using
    that one was that I wanted to use my Torker (Miyata) seat with my Summit
    uni.

    [image:
    http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albums/Broken-Post/DSC00509.sized.jpg]

    Would you guys be willing to make one for me? How much would you
    charge?

    Good job,
    Daniel

    --
    daino149 - On Vacation - till i find a job

    Check out my pics: www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino Updated: 04.10.19
    Seatpost and rail adapter
    'My Xanga' (http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=fingerpies)
    I need to find a job

  9. Catboy

    Catboy Guest

  10. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    Looks beautiful. I'd like a chrome one! This is the way to go for
    non-adjustable angle posts. You can stick any additioinal handle onto
    the front of that seat and post, and you should never have to worry
    about stiffness or breakage of the post.

    *Lightness:*My original one was aluminum. That was sweet. It was on my
    super-light, super-custom track unicycle, which was stolen at Unicon X.
    I think that one had the seat post base plate running all the way up to
    the front bolts. Miyata seats have changed since then. It was still very
    light.

    My current one is steel, but has less metal in it. Definitely heavier
    than the racing one though. But if you want non-breakage, you have to
    put up with a little extra weight too...

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

    "It's good to find something that makes boys into men and men into boys,
    my opinion is that unicycling fits the bill." -- Lloyd Johnson

    "Read the rules!"
    'IUF Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/)
    'USA Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)

  11. dubmuni2004

    dubmuni2004 Guest

  12. Fuego

    Fuego Guest

    After riding it, it feels VERY different. I need to get used to the
    stiffness, but I think it added about an inch to my hop height, which is
    great. it probably could be made lighter by putting in more holes or
    something, but I don't notice it too much.

    Dave: I should sell it to bedford or something...:p that'd be great.. I
    need to figure out the copyright stuff, though. it was john's idea,
    though, right?

    Daino: I don't think I could make you one, because that would require a
    miyata seatpost, and also I'm not really looking to go into business.

    Aaron: I got it welded at a local welding place, because i don't know
    how to weld. I don't know how much that cost, but I doubt it was much.

    Over all, i'm very happy with the finished product, and I think it
    should be very strong indeed. The only way I can see it breaking is if
    it crushed the seatpost tube in at the corner of the weld, though that
    would be pretty crazy. If that ever happens, I'm gonna be sure to send
    you pictures. :p

    --
    Fuego - Ride to Ruin, and a Red Dawn!

    "Unicycling is more about the center of concentration than the center of
    balance."

    If you don't want us riding on your concrete, don't make it in such damn
    interesting shapes!
    Fuego's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6983

  13. Goatman!

    Goatman! Guest

  14. DigitalDave wrote:
    > *Way to go there ...
    >
    > Looks sturdy to me :D
    >
    > Now you need to copywrite that puppy before someone else does.
    > (I'm serious)
    > I think theres money to made here ... *

    In all seriousness I am feverently against doing stuff such as
    copywriting. It breeds an environment of competition and hostility. This
    is too small a market to start trying to prevent others from seeing
    designs. I think unicycling should stay open, allowing people to make
    whatever they want. Also, you didn't even create the design, so why
    would you go and copywrite it? That is exactly why people copywrite
    things in the first place, so to not steal the design and copywrite it
    means that noone else has to. If everyone is fostering to open design
    sharing, then everyone benefits.

    Otherwise a very cool design. Does it help with seat out?

    --
    gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

    Don't you think it's a cruel irony that acting like a G.I. Joe in the
    army can get you a Medal, while playing with one can get you thrown
    out?

    "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful. They will stop at nothing
    to hurt us and our people, and nethier will we"-Dubya
    Vote Kerry. Yeah, they both suck, but Kerry sucks less.

  15. munimanpete

    munimanpete Guest

  16. unisk8r

    unisk8r Guest

    This is exactly what excites the heck outta me...we have so much room
    for improvement and innovation in every uni part.
    Beautiful work Fuego!!! And continuing props to Foss too for his great
    ideas!

    --
    unisk8r - One Wheel Wander
    unisk8r's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4660

  17. tomsey

    tomsey Guest

  18. DigitalDave

    DigitalDave Guest

    gerblefranklin wrote:
    > In all seriousness I am feverently against doing stuff such as
    > copywriting. It breeds an environment of competition and hostility.
    > This is too small a market to start trying to prevent others from
    > seeing designs. I think unicycling should stay open, allowing people
    > to make whatever they want. *Also, you didn't even create the design,
    > so why would you go and copywrite it?* -That is exactly why people
    > copywrite things in the first place, so to not steal the design and
    > copywrite it means that noone else has to. If everyone is fostering to
    > open design sharing, then everyone benefits.-
    >
    > Otherwise a very cool design. Does it help with seat out?

    I really would like to post the same negativity back at you, but, I
    wont.
    Copywrighting does not mean the designs are not shared within an
    industry. I think you are confused.

    --
    DigitalDave - scabless

    'nf7-s ~ xp2400mobile'
    (http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=21988)
    '19,748 3dm01' (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8191641)

    DigitalDave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8003

  19. Fuego

    Fuego Guest

    well, I forgot about this thread, so I'm bumping it with a report on
    preformance:

    I can't really feel the weight differance yet, but I think it's not too
    much. We used a rather thick piece of steel, so it probably could be
    slimmed down a bit, not to mention the holes I drilled for sexyness
    could be larger/more, that would shed some weight. However, I cant feel
    too much of the differance.

    It's really a LOT stiffer. (As in no bend at all). so it takes some
    getting used to. I still can't quite hop as high i think, but on the
    other hand, all my unicycling has been to and from school with a
    backpack of books, so that changes a lot. :p

    The one bad side I did notice is that a stiffer seat seems a bit less
    comfortable, though this is a small sacrifice.

    LITTLE, BAD TUTORIAL:

    On the whole, it wasn't too hard to make. All we did was cut a thin
    cardboard pattern that fit the countours of the individual seat, (this
    is important. all the angles will screw it up if you don't get it right.
    not PERFECT right, but it has to fit. Then, I etched the pattern in with
    a punch. (not hard at all. I'm making a tutorial here, ok? bear with me.
    SOMEBODY doesn't know how to do it.) I cut it out with a hacksaw, which
    was medium hard, and time consuming. (oil your saw and notch. it helps.)
    I made it fit well on a grinding wheel that we recently acquired, and
    smoothed it out with a file. The grinding might be the single hardest
    thing for people who don't have equipment. You could probably get it to
    work with a file, but that would be a lot of work. I really don't know
    how else you would do it, though. Then we took it down to a welding
    shop, where we got it welded. This cost $10 per seatpost, so it wasn't
    that expensive at all. Then, all I had to do was paint it, and you can
    do this however you want. Personally, I just spraypainted it over a coat
    of primer, because it was easy.

    --
    Fuego - Ride to Ruin, and a Red Dawn!

    "Unicycling is more about the center of concentration than the center of
    balance."

    If you don't want us riding on your concrete, don't make it in such damn
    interesting shapes!
    Fuego's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6983

  20. toddw9

    toddw9 Guest