Re: Seatpost offset and Brooks saddle

Mike

Guest
On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 17:23:24 -0400, Mike <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>A couple of months ago I bought a Brooks B66 for my Raleigh 3-speed.
>Now that is is broken in a bit, it feels really great on my sit bones,
>but the seat is just too far forward, and I have it pushed backed as
>far is it will go. I am using an old-style straight seatpost with the
>Brooks clamp for the 2-rail saddle.
>

>1) Is there a relatively inexpensive (say, < USD50) solution for
>moving the saddle back by changing the seatpost or clamp?
>
>2) If I swap the B66 for a different Brooks model, perhaps a
>single-rail model, will I be able to get it any further back?

Received no replies to this post, so I am following up myself. I
couldn't find anything useful currently available. Bill Laine of
wallbikes suggested I try ebay.

Bingo! The keyword to look for is "layback". Apparently, these
seatposts were popular on bmx style bikes. Most of them come in 7/8"
diameter, but there were a few 1" diameter which fit the Raleigh
frame. It's basically just a standard seatpost with a 30 degree bend
about 4 inches from the top.

It gives me the setback I need, plus it also looks very sleek (that
aerodynamic bend, you know).

Still haven't decided if I will keep the B66, but at least I am now
in the right position relative to the frame.

Mike

Mike wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 17:23:24 -0400, Mike <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>A couple of months ago I bought a Brooks B66 for my Raleigh 3-speed.
>>Now that is is broken in a bit, it feels really great on my sit bones,
>>but the seat is just too far forward, and I have it pushed backed as
>>far is it will go. I am using an old-style straight seatpost with the
>>Brooks clamp for the 2-rail saddle.
>>

>>1) Is there a relatively inexpensive (say, < USD50) solution for
>>moving the saddle back by changing the seatpost or clamp?
>>
>>2) If I swap the B66 for a different Brooks model, perhaps a
>>single-rail model, will I be able to get it any further back?
>>

> Received no replies to this post, so I am following up myself. I
> couldn't find anything useful currently available. Bill Laine of
> wallbikes suggested I try ebay.
>
> Bingo! The keyword to look for is "layback". Apparently, these
> seatposts were popular on bmx style bikes. Most of them come in 7/8"
> diameter, but there were a few 1" diameter which fit the Raleigh
> frame. It's basically just a standard seatpost with a 30 degree bend
> about 4 inches from the top.
>
> It gives me the setback I need, plus it also looks very sleek (that
> aerodynamic bend, you know).
>
> Still haven't decided if I will keep the B66, but at least I am now
> in the right position relative to the frame.

Most seatposts had layback until the early 1990s weight-saving craze set
in with MTB riders. USE and others realised you could lose a few grams
by not having the layback, and saddle manufacturers had to make rails
longer to compensate...