Re: Seatpost suffering a minor setback

Ron Ruff

Guest
Ivar Hesselager wrote:
> I have for long been wanting a seatpost with a major setback; just half an
> inch more than what I have, would be fine (for the steepest climbs.)

I'm surprised that you want more setback for climbs... I'd prefer just
the opposite; less setback for climbs and more for descents.

If you are currently sliding rearward on the seat (and the seat is
level), then moving it forward should help. The reason why you are
sliding rearward is because your weight is well behind the pedals, and
your power stroke is pushing you that way. If you could get more on top
of the pedals this effect would be less.

In article
<[email protected]>,
"Ron Ruff" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ivar Hesselager wrote:
> > I have for long been wanting a seatpost with a major setback; just half an
> > inch more than what I have, would be fine (for the steepest climbs.)
> >

> I'm surprised that you want more setback for climbs... I'd prefer just
> the opposite; less setback for climbs and more for descents.
>
> If you are currently sliding rearward on the seat (and the seat is
> level), then moving it forward should help. The reason why you are
> sliding rearward is because your weight is well behind the pedals, and
> your power stroke is pushing you that way. If you could get more on top
> of the pedals this effect would be less.

I agree. Look at the geometry. On a level road you want
your weight balanced over your pedal stroke. On a climb
you want your weight balanced over your pedal stroke, but
now the bicycle is tilted relative to flat ground and you
must move your weight forward with respect to the bicycle
compared to level ground. If you climb a lot you want to
cheat the saddle forward relative to its ideal flat ground
position.

--
Michael Press

11 Dec 2005 17:56:52 -0800, Ron Ruff <[email protected]> skrev:

> If you are currently sliding rearward on the seat (and the seat is
> level), then moving it forward should help. The reason why you are
> sliding rearward is because your weight is well behind the pedals, and
> your power stroke is pushing you that way. If you could get more on top
> of the pedals this effect would be less.

I'm not a natural born grimpeur, so I must learn to climb as long as I
live. But if Ron is right in assuming that it would solve my problem to
move the saddle FORWARD, I will be surprised - or rather: flappergasted.

I will have to try to "get on top of the pedals" as soon as the weather
suits my racer.

Nevertheless I still want a seatpost with more setback. I sit on a Brooks
Swift, which is known to have short rails - i.e. limited adjustment option.

My present seatpost(Max's system/Summit ??)has a 2.5 cm setback -
according to Phil's definition - and I want at least another cm.

Thanks to all for suggestions
Right now the choice stands between a Easton EC70 and a FSA K-Force
Ivar

Thanks to all for suggestions. I am

--
Sendt med Operas banebrydende nyhedsgruppe-
og e-postklient: http://www.opera.com/m2/

Per Ivar Hesselager:
>Right now the choice stands between a Easton EC70 and a FSA K-Force

Also there is at least one device that sits between the seatpost and the saddle,
allowing extra fore-aft adjustment.

Maybe somebody else will come up with a link.
--
PeteCresswell