Re: Semi-Homemade with Sandra Lee: Picnic of Doom 2

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Dave Smith, Feb 5, 2006.

  1. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Ubiquitous wrote:

    > The show begins with Sandra wearing an oversized doily holding those flowers
    > she pilfered in the previous episode. She still has that nasty cold that make
    > her sound like Kirsty Allie (Oh, now THAT'S a pleasant thought...) and is
    > dragging a four foot high wicker hamper full of the raw materials needed to
    > make her concoctions. Who the hell does that? Wouldn't it be easier to make it
    > at home and THEN bring the finished goods to the picnic?

    Maybe I should do a cooking show.

    It would start off around noon with me sticking my head in the freezer to see what
    sort of meat there is to take out and thaw. Then it would shift to about an hour
    before dinner .... cocktail time,... when I stick my head in the fridge to see what
    sort of veggies there are that would be good to go with it. At that point I can
    make an informed decision about what I am going to make. And then I know whether it
    is something that I should get started on so that I can sit down and have a drink,
    or if I should sit down and have a drink before coming back to throw something
    together.

    Tags:

  2. Dave Smith wrote:

    >Ubiquitous wrote:
    >

    >>The show begins with Sandra wearing an oversized doily holding those flowers
    >>she pilfered in the previous episode. She still has that nasty cold that make
    >>her sound like Kirsty Allie (Oh, now THAT'S a pleasant thought...) and is
    >>dragging a four foot high wicker hamper full of the raw materials needed to
    >>make her concoctions. Who the hell does that? Wouldn't it be easier to make it
    >>at home and THEN bring the finished goods to the picnic?
    >>

    >Maybe I should do a cooking show.
    >
    >It would start off around noon with me sticking my head in the freezer to see what
    >sort of meat there is to take out and thaw. Then it would shift to about an hour
    >before dinner .... cocktail time,... when I stick my head in the fridge to see what
    >sort of veggies there are that would be good to go with it. At that point I can
    >make an informed decision about what I am going to make. And then I know whether it
    >is something that I should get started on so that I can sit down and have a drink,
    >or if I should sit down and have a drink before coming back to throw something
    >together.

    Sounds a bit like Nigella, but she gets away with it because of her
    looks! Are you darkly handsome and willing to stare in a sultry fashion
    at the viewers?

    Christine
    No prizes for guessing the only TV cooking show hubby watches of his own
    volition!

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] wrote:

    >Dave Smith wrote:
    >
    >>Ubiquitous wrote:
    >>

    >>>The show begins with Sandra wearing an oversized doily holding those flowers
    >>>she pilfered in the previous episode. She still has that nasty cold that

    make
    >>>her sound like Kirsty Allie (Oh, now THAT'S a pleasant thought...) and is
    >>>dragging a four foot high wicker hamper full of the raw materials needed to
    >>>make her concoctions. Who the hell does that? Wouldn't it be easier to make

    it
    >>>at home and THEN bring the finished goods to the picnic?
    >>>

    >>Maybe I should do a cooking show.
    >>
    >>It would start off around noon with me sticking my head in the freezer to see

    what
    >>sort of meat there is to take out and thaw. Then it would shift to about an

    hour
    >>before dinner .... cocktail time,... when I stick my head in the fridge to

    see what
    >>sort of veggies there are that would be good to go with it. At that point I

    can
    >>make an informed decision about what I am going to make. And then I know

    whether it
    >>is something that I should get started on so that I can sit down and have a

    drink,
    >>or if I should sit down and have a drink before coming back to throw

    something
    >>together.
    >>

    >Sounds a bit like Nigella, but she gets away with it because of her
    >looks! Are you darkly handsome and willing to stare in a sultry fashion
    >at the viewers?

    I saw this for the first time this evening. What a riot! Whatever cold medicine
    they had her on at least slowed her down a little, so she wasn't as annoyingly
    spastic as usual. The dress was awful -- loved the way they had to keep cutting
    to a different camera angle because the screen was filled with sleeve and you
    couldn't see the food. That tablescape was a riot. Yeah, I'm sure you thought
    of Shakespeare as a theme for your picnic and that caused you to drag heavy
    library-style furniture into a park and then set a poetry book on fire. And
    isn't it illegal to cut flowers in a park? Not to mention unsanitary if you
    use them as a garnish.

    That trench-cake was absolutely hilarious. Of all the times that it would have
    made sense to put the filling INto a plastic bag to pipe it INto the cake. But,
    no, there's SL, smearing it in with two serving spoons. What an idiot.

  4. Ubiquitous

    Ubiquitous Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    >I saw this for the first time this evening. What a riot! Whatever cold medicine
    >they had her on at least slowed her down a little, so she wasn't as annoyingly
    >spastic as usual. The dress was awful -- loved the way they had to keep cutting
    >to a different camera angle because the screen was filled with sleeve and you
    >couldn't see the food. That tablescape was a riot. Yeah, I'm sure you thought
    >of Shakespeare as a theme for your picnic and that caused you to drag heavy
    >library-style furniture into a park and then set a poetry book on fire. And
    >isn't it illegal to cut flowers in a park? Not to mention unsanitary if you
    >use them as a garnish.

    I still can't get over her burning poetry books to make napkin holders and
    not only hanging on a tree, but putting lit candles in that chandelier.

    --
    WARNING!!!
    Use of these recipes may be hazardous to your health, food budget,

  5. On Wed 22 Mar 2006 06:40:17p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    Ubiquitous?

    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >>I saw this for the first time this evening. What a riot! Whatever cold
    >>medicine they had her on at least slowed her down a little, so she
    >>wasn't as annoyingly spastic as usual. The dress was awful -- loved the
    >>way they had to keep cutting to a different camera angle because the
    >>screen was filled with sleeve and you couldn't see the food. That
    >>tablescape was a riot. Yeah, I'm sure you thought of Shakespeare as a
    >>theme for your picnic and that caused you to drag heavy library-style
    >>furniture into a park and then set a poetry book on fire. And isn't it
    >>illegal to cut flowers in a park? Not to mention unsanitary if you use
    >>them as a garnish.

    > I still can't get over her burning poetry books to make napkin holders
    > and not only hanging on a tree, but putting lit candles in that
    > chandelier.

    I didn't see the show, and I can't argue about her burning poetry books,
    but we did have a crystal chandelier for many years in which we always
    burned candles, along with matching wall sconces and candleticks. The
    totally candlelit dining room was lovely, and it was always safe.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  6. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote

    > On Wed 22 Mar 2006 06:40:17p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    > Ubiquitous?
    >
    >> [email protected] wrote:
    >>
    >>>I saw this for the first time this evening. What a riot! Whatever cold
    >>>medicine they had her on at least slowed her down a little, so she
    >>>wasn't as annoyingly spastic as usual. The dress was awful -- loved the
    >>>way they had to keep cutting to a different camera angle because the
    >>>screen was filled with sleeve and you couldn't see the food. That
    >>>tablescape was a riot. Yeah, I'm sure you thought of Shakespeare as a
    >>>theme for your picnic and that caused you to drag heavy library-style
    >>>furniture into a park and then set a poetry book on fire. And isn't it
    >>>illegal to cut flowers in a park? Not to mention unsanitary if you use
    >>>them as a garnish.

    >> I still can't get over her burning poetry books to make napkin holders
    >> and not only hanging on a tree, but putting lit candles in that
    >> chandelier.
    >>

    > I didn't see the show, and I can't argue about her burning poetry books,
    > but we did have a crystal chandelier for many years in which we always
    > burned candles, along with matching wall sconces and candleticks. The
    > totally candlelit dining room was lovely, and it was always safe.

    In a park? (smile)

    nancy

  7. On Wed 22 Mar 2006 07:04:38p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nancy
    Young?

    > "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote
    >
    >> On Wed 22 Mar 2006 06:40:17p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    >> Ubiquitous?

    >>> I still can't get over her burning poetry books to make napkin holders
    >>> and not only hanging on a tree, but putting lit candles in that
    >>> chandelier.
    >>>

    >> I didn't see the show, and I can't argue about her burning poetry books,
    >> but we did have a crystal chandelier for many years in which we always
    >> burned candles, along with matching wall sconces and candleticks. The
    >> totally candlelit dining room was lovely, and it was always safe.

    > In a park? (smile)

    LOL! Does jungle wallpaper count?

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o