Re: Semi-OT: Mountain lion attacks hiker.

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.soc' started by Mike Vandeman, Jun 29, 2004.

  1. On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 12:40:47 -0300, Chris Phillipo
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    ..In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    ..says...
    ..> Stephen Baker wrote:
    ..>
    ..> > Wel, CNN has it all here
    ..> >
    ..> > http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/West/06/27/mountain.lion.attack.ap/index.html
    ..> >
    ..> > It seems we should now outlaw hiking in all wild areas, since hikers are now
    ..> > upsetting the wildlife enough to be attacked.
    ..> >
    ..> > I won't stoop to the cheap shot, "a mountain-biker would have had a chance of
    ..> > outrunning it..." So forget I said that.
    ..> >
    ..>
    ..> Shit, I was going to spend a long weekend solo up in the southern
    ..> sierras, maybe I better bring along a friend.
    ..>
    ..> Greg
    ..>
    ..>
    ..
    ..Make it a 9mm or .45 friend and you can still go solo :)

    Wouldn't have helped the mountain biker attacked from behind. Or anyone else,
    probably. The moral: stick to paved roads.
    ===

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

    Tags:

  2. > Wouldn't have helped the mountain biker attacked from behind. Or anyone
    else,
    > probably. The moral: stick to paved roads.

    You are a raving lunatic!

    Does your parole officer know you are posting again?

  3. Eugene Miya

    Eugene Miya Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
    >The moral: stick to paved roads.

    Why brilliant advice.
    I saw my first mountain lion on a paved road near a resevoir East of Fresno.
    The second mountain lion was on the Military Pass dirt road near Shasta.

    --

  4. cc

    cc Guest

    > On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 12:40:47 -0300, Chris Phillipo
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > .In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    > .says...
    > .> Stephen Baker wrote:
    > .>
    > .> > Wel, CNN has it all here
    > .> >
    > .> >

    http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/West/06/27/mountain.lion.attack.ap/index.html
    > .> >
    > .> > It seems we should now outlaw hiking in all wild areas, since hikers

    are now
    > .> > upsetting the wildlife enough to be attacked.
    > .> >
    > .> > I won't stoop to the cheap shot, "a mountain-biker would have had a

    chance of
    > .> > outrunning it..." So forget I said that.
    > .> >
    > .>
    > .> Shit, I was going to spend a long weekend solo up in the southern
    > .> sierras, maybe I better bring along a friend.
    > .>
    > .> Greg
    > .>
    > .>
    > .
    > .Make it a 9mm or .45 friend and you can still go solo :)
    >
    > Wouldn't have helped the mountain biker attacked from behind. Or anyone

    else,
    > probably. The moral: stick to paved roads.

    That's right Mike. Those dickheads sure learned their lesson. I did too.
    Screw mountain biking. You need a webmaster, MV?

    Love,
    cc

  5. Gary S.

    Gary S. Guest

    On 29 Jun 2004 23:45:33 -0700, [email protected] (Eugene Miya)
    wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    >Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>The moral: stick to paved roads.

    >Why brilliant advice.
    >I saw my first mountain lion on a paved road near a resevoir East of Fresno.
    >The second mountain lion was on the Military Pass dirt road near Shasta.

    I saw a moose a couple of weeks ago. On the road. Somewhat dead (must
    have been a tractor-trailer).

    Yup, the human-animal interactions on roads are so much better.

    Happy trails,
    Gary (net.yogi.bear)

    Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

  6. Gary S.

    Gary S. Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 01:04:03 -0700, "cc" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]

    >> .Make it a 9mm or .45 friend and you can still go solo :)
    >>
    >> Wouldn't have helped the mountain biker attacked from behind. Or anyone

    >else,
    >> probably. The moral: stick to paved roads.

    >That's right Mike. Those dickheads sure learned their lesson. I did too.
    >Screw mountain biking. You need a webmaster, MV?

    Mikey would take an incident with a mountain biker being hurt on Wall
    Stree in downtown Manhattan, and twist it into a reason why mountain
    bikers should never ride off pavement.

    The same pavement he used to fight against.

    In Mikey World, everything bad is the direct result of mountain
    bikers.

    Happy trails,
    Gary (net.yogi.bear)

    Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

  7. claudel

    claudel Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Eugene Miya <[email protected]> wrote:
    >In article <[email protected]>,
    >Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>The moral: stick to paved roads.

    >Why brilliant advice.
    >I saw my first mountain lion on a paved road near a resevoir East of Fresno.
    >The second mountain lion was on the Military Pass dirt road near Shasta.
    >
    >--

    One of my cow-orkers saw one smashed in the I680 freeway
    in Milpitas, Ca. 10 years ago...

    Claude

  8. On 29 Jun 2004 23:45:33 -0700, [email protected] (Eugene Miya) wrote:

    ..In article <[email protected]>,
    ..Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
    ..>The moral: stick to paved roads.
    ..
    ..Why brilliant advice.
    ..I saw my first mountain lion on a paved road near a resevoir East of Fresno.

    You lived to tell about it. That proves my point.

    ..The second mountain lion was on the Military Pass dirt road near Shasta.

    ===

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  9. Eugene Miya

    Eugene Miya Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>The moral: stick to paved roads.

    >>Why brilliant advice.
    >>mountain lion on a paved road
    >>mountain lion on dirt road

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Gary S. <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I saw a moose a couple of weeks ago. On the road. Somewhat dead (must
    >have been a tractor-trailer).

    You can see moose at Los Anchorage or Los Fairbanks airports.

    Mostly saw cariboo on the Haul Road.
    Did see 3 biking trips in progress arriving and a trip or two
    departing all headed for the Arctic Ocean.

    >Yup, the human-animal interactions on roads are so much better.

    Not all.
    Hard to see wolverines near roads.

    --

  10. Eugene Miya

    Eugene Miya Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
    >On 29 Jun 2004 23:45:33 -0700, [email protected] (Eugene Miya) wrote:
    >.In article <[email protected]>,
    >.Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
    >.>The moral: stick to paved roads.
    >.
    >.Why brilliant advice.
    >.I saw my first mountain lion on a paved road near a resevoir East of Fresno.
    >
    >You lived to tell about it. That proves my point.

    Nope: doesn't constitute proof.
    Roads are merely incidental.

    If you wanted to be effective, you would convince them in an areal fashion.

    --

  11. "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On 29 Jun 2004 23:45:33 -0700, [email protected] (Eugene Miya) wrote:
    >
    > .In article <[email protected]>,
    > .Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
    > .>The moral: stick to paved roads.
    > .
    > .Why brilliant advice.
    > .I saw my first mountain lion on a paved road near a resevoir East of

    Fresno.

    > You lived to tell about it. That proves my point.

    The hiker in your original post also lived to tell her story, which by your
    own logic disproves your logic. My, you really are an idiot!

  12. "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On 29 Jun 2004 23:45:33 -0700, [email protected] (Eugene Miya) wrote:
    >
    > .In article <[email protected]>,
    > .Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
    > .>The moral: stick to paved roads.
    > .
    > .Why brilliant advice.
    > .I saw my first mountain lion on a paved road near a resevoir East of

    Fresno.

    > You lived to tell about it. That proves my point.

    The irony in this is that you spent some unknown amount of time fighting
    auto dependence AND road construction. Now you say people should actually
    use the roads you fought so hard to prevent.

    Not only are you and idiot, you are a schizophrenic idiot. Make up your
    bipolar mind, are roads good or are roads bad?

    > ===
    >
    > http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  13. PMH

    PMH Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:

    > Make up your
    >bipolar mind, are roads good or are roads bad?

    Yes and no.

    Pete H

    --
    Either everyone has rights or some have privileges.
    It's really that simple.

  14. Gary S.

    Gary S. Guest

    On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 19:35:51 -0400, PMH <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >>
    >> Make up your
    >>bipolar mind, are roads good or are roads bad?
    >>

    >Yes and no.
    >
    >Pete H

    But on the third hand . . .