Re: Setting up a double brake lever:

Mark Janeba

Guest
!Jones wrote:

> When setting up a double cable lever (Mafac) on a tandem with a hub
> brake, does one usually set up the cantilevers on the double and the
> hub on the single pull?

I think that's the common setup, yes.

> I can see an advantage to that; however, I like to have the wheels
> brake independently, also. Generally, I put the drag brake on the
> stoker's bars, but with such a neat lever, I'd like to use it.

That's what I've always done (hub brake under stoker control), so what
follows is memory from the words of those who've tried it, and
speculation (Hey! This is R.B.T.!) Note: here I am using "hub brake"
as interchangeable with "disk brake;" granted this may not be common usage.

> Can it be set up successfully running the rear cantilever and the drag
> brake on one lever? ... in your opinion, of course. Most anything
> *can* be done; however, some things are better candidates than others.
> I'm thinking about setting the drag to hit first with an in-line
> spring.

I think you've identified the main problem here - one type of brake has
more travel than the other to reach a certain level of tension/braking.
IIRC, the word was that this was a tricky thing to get right. Watch
for the rim brakes wearing and changing the "balance" in this system.

Another widely recommended setup (which again I've not tried) is to
connect the hub brake to a (spare) shift lever, under either rider's
control, since these auxiliary hub brakes are used so often as drag
brakes on long downhills. A bar-con on the stoker's bars might do this
dandy; I've been meaning to try it.

Mark "Wrote a FAQ on tandem disk brakes, many years ago" Janeba

!Jones wrote:

> This is an old drum. It's odd; it's clearly engraved "Phil Wood" but
> it's obviously an Aria... I guess I'm spelling it correctly.

Look again- it's probably an "Arai" drum brake, threaded onto a Phil
Wood hub.
This is a premium setup- enjoy it.

Two different manufacturers, living together in complete harmony- whoda
thought?

Jeff