Re: Setting up a double brake lever:

Sheldon Brown

Guest
!Jones wrote:

> When setting up a double cable lever (Mafac) on a tandem with a hub
> brake, does one usually set up the cantilevers on the double and the
> hub on the single pull?

Drum brakes generally require more cable pull, so when this is done, it
is usually to run both cantis from the double lever.

However, I consider this a Very Bad Idea because it doesn't allow
independent control of the front brake.

This is particularly dangerous if you ever ride the tandem without a
stoker. The light rear end is all too easy to lock up, with a high risk
of fishtailing and loss of control.

For more details, see my article on Tandem Brakes:

http://sheldonbrown.com/tandem-brakes.html

Sheldon "One Brake At A Time" Brown
| Good health is nothing but the |
| slowest way to die. -Les Barker |