Re: Setting up a double brake lever:

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Sheldon Brown, Jan 2, 2005.

  1. !Jones wrote:

    > When setting up a double cable lever (Mafac) on a tandem with a hub
    > brake, does one usually set up the cantilevers on the double and the
    > hub on the single pull?

    Drum brakes generally require more cable pull, so when this is done, it
    is usually to run both cantis from the double lever.

    However, I consider this a Very Bad Idea because it doesn't allow
    independent control of the front brake.

    This is particularly dangerous if you ever ride the tandem without a
    stoker. The light rear end is all too easy to lock up, with a high risk
    of fishtailing and loss of control.

    For more details, see my article on Tandem Brakes:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/tandem-brakes.html

    Sheldon "One Brake At A Time" Brown
    | Good health is nothing but the |
    | slowest way to die. -Les Barker |