Re: Shifting on Trek 1000, Year 2005

vchu7105

May 31, 2005
Sora Shifters: Trek 1000 Stock, Year 2005 Sora 8 Speed with "Tweaks"

I have a problem shifting in the front derailer or front shifter. I am a newbie but have been riding for about 30 min everyday for 2 weeks. I am having trouble shifting. I cannot with any consistentcy shift down to th middle gear. When I shift up from the smallest gear to the middle gear, I have a much better chance of hitting it. To Shift up, I usually push the left brake halfway in to get that. My question is, should one full short click down on the lever shift down to the middle gear on the front crank? Or should I be using two full clicks. I cannot seem to get any combination of lenght and Number of times pressing the lever to get down to the middle gear.

I've brought it back to my dealor and he has worked on it several times. I've had front shifting problems from day one. When he puts it up on the bike holder without weight, You can press on the lever once and it shifts fine but once I put weight and ride it, this problem occurs. Could the Front shifter or Front derailer be bad?? Is there any adjustment anyone could recommend to solve this problem??

Victor

vchu7105 said:
Sora Shifters: Trek 1000 Stock, Year 2005

I have a problem shifting in the front derailer or front shifter. I am a newbie but have been riding for about 30 min everyday for 2 weeks. I am having trouble shifting. I cannot with any consistentcy shift down to th middle gear. When I shift up from the smallest gear to the middle gear, I have a much better chance of hitting it. To Shift up, I usually push the left brake halfway in to get that. My question is, should one full short click down on the lever shift down to the middle gear on the front crank? Or should I be using two full clicks. I cannot seem to get any combination of lenght and Number of times pressing the lever to get down to the middle gear.

I've brought it back to my dealor and he has worked on it several times. I've had front shifting problems from day one. When he puts it up on the bike holder without weight, it shifts fine but once I put weight and ride it, this problem occurs. Could the Front shifter or Front derailer be bad?? Is there any adjustment anyone could recommend to solve this problem??

Victor
Repair section at www.parktool.com has derailer adjustment drill.start at the beginning.Learn to do it yourself.Triples can be tricky. It should only take one click of the lever to get the middle ring from the big.It's also possible you have cable or casing issues or even a bad shifter. A LBS guy that can't sort it out is a nose picking moron, you shouldn't have to put up with.

boudreaux said:
Repair section at www.parktool.com has derailer adjustment drill.start at the beginning.Learn to do it yourself.Triples can be tricky. It should only take one click of the lever to get the middle ring from the big.It's also possible you have cable or casing issues or even a bad shifter. A LBS guy that can't sort it out is a nose picking moron, you shouldn't have to put up with.
The dealor dosent even bother to ride it, or rides the bike for like 10 seconds and proclaims its working. When he puts it up on the rack, and tries it, he states it looks fine. My dealor doesnt seem to be very good.

Thanks for your help.