Re: Shimano Nexus Inter-3 hub gear

davek

Guest
Peter Clinch wrote:
> 3 speeds is enough for me to get around Dundee on the Brom, despite

some
> good quality Real Hills (TM).

How does the gearing on the Brompton compare to a bike with larger
wheels? Does it affect the gearing range significantly?

, and as long as he hasn't
> decided that More Must Be Better (in which case I'd be inclined to

let
> him have what he wants, as he's more likely to get out and ride it

and
> his knees will take mashing at this point)

I think he is quite open to guidance from me (on this issue, not as a
general principle, and only because he thinks I know a bit about
bikes). That said, I totally agree that What I Want is the most
important consideration, which is why he is getting a bike with gears
at all - if I had it all my way, he'd be riding a fixer. ;-)

d.

In message <[email protected]>,
davek <[email protected]> writes
>Peter Clinch wrote:
>> 3 speeds is enough for me to get around Dundee on the Brom, despite

>some
>> good quality Real Hills (TM).

>How does the gearing on the Brompton compare to a bike with larger
>wheels? Does it affect the gearing range significantly?

no, you just have to size the sprocket and chain wheel appropriately.

--
Chris French, Leeds

davek wrote:

> How does the gearing on the Brompton compare to a bike with larger
> wheels? Does it affect the gearing range significantly?

Not with careful selection of chainwheel and sprocket. In fact, I think
the standard gearing on a Brom is higher than it ought to be: I have the
-18% standard option (bigger sprocket and smaller chainwheel) and
there's a -12% option too.

47"/63"/84" is the standard set. I'm tempted to get it Schlumpfed next
time I have a suitable wodge of cash, but it's not like I'm not getting
by without it.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

chris French wrote:
> no, you just have to size the sprocket and chain wheel appropriately.

Yes, I guessed that, but I was making all kinds of bizarre assumptions
based on my limited understanding of these things...

However, I've just checked it out on a gear calculator - for a bike
with the same size sprockets and chainrings, the gears are smaller on a
bike with smaller wheels, but the differences between the gears are the
same.

Don't know what I was thinking, really.

d.