Re: Shimano Ultegra 9-speed Still Available New?

Diablo Scott

Guest
Steve Sr. wrote:

> Bike Folks,
>
> I am working on putting together a semi-custom road bike and looking
> for available groupo components. I don't really see the need for
> 10-speed and I understand that the rear triangle spacing is the same
> for both 9 and 10-speed. I am wondering if Shimano Ultegra
> (preferably) or Dura-ace is still available in 9-speed. I also have
> another bike which is 9-speed so I would have a souce of redundant
> spare parts.
>
> Now here comes the custom part. I am looking for a tripple crank with
> 170mm crank arms. I am also wanting a wide range 12-27 or so cassette
> in back. I don't know if this will require a special wide-range rear
> deraileur or not. Also the front deraileur has to accommodate a 31.6mm
> seat tube.
>
> Am I or my local LBS going to find this groupo or will I have to go
> with the new 10-speed setup?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Steve

1. It's "gruppo"
2. It's "triple"
3. It's "derailleur"
4. It's available just about everywhere for now.

--
My bike blog:
http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

In article <1109635385.7b93c2ed1a60189832cd992142e1b0a9@teranews>,
Diablo Scott <[email protected]> wrote:

> Steve Sr. wrote:
>
> > Bike Folks,
> >
> > I am working on putting together a semi-custom road bike and looking
> > for available groupo components. I don't really see the need for
> > 10-speed and I understand that the rear triangle spacing is the same
> > for both 9 and 10-speed. I am wondering if Shimano Ultegra
> > (preferably) or Dura-ace is still available in 9-speed. I also have
> > another bike which is 9-speed so I would have a souce of redundant
> > spare parts.
> >
> > Now here comes the custom part. I am looking for a tripple crank with
> > 170mm crank arms. I am also wanting a wide range 12-27 or so cassette
> > in back. I don't know if this will require a special wide-range rear
> > deraileur or not. Also the front deraileur has to accommodate a 31.6mm
> > seat tube.
> >
> > Am I or my local LBS going to find this groupo or will I have to go
> > with the new 10-speed setup?
> >

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Steve
> >

> 1. It's "gruppo"
> 2. It's "triple"
> 3. It's "derailleur"
> 4. It's available just about everywhere for now.

Praise be to Allah, a fellow pedant!

1. It's only "gruppo" in Italy or if you are a poseur. Otherwise, in
English-speaking environs, it's "group".

2. Yep.

3. It's only "derailleur" if you happen to be speaking French.
"Derailer" is the English word, and a better one, because the word
explains what it does.

4. Yep, again.

--
Ted Bennett
Portland, OR

Ted wrote:
> In article <1109635385.7b93c2ed1a60189832cd992142e1b0a9@teranews>,
> Diablo Scott <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Steve Sr. wrote:
> >
> > > Bike Folks,
> > >
> > > I am working on putting together a semi-custom road bike and

looking
> > > for available groupo components. I don't really see the need for
> > > 10-speed and I understand that the rear triangle spacing is the

same
> > > for both 9 and 10-speed. I am wondering if Shimano Ultegra
> > > (preferably) or Dura-ace is still available in 9-speed. I also

have
> > > another bike which is 9-speed so I would have a souce of

redundant
> > > spare parts.
> > >
> > > Now here comes the custom part. I am looking for a tripple crank

with
> > > 170mm crank arms. I am also wanting a wide range 12-27 or so

cassette
> > > in back. I don't know if this will require a special wide-range

rear
> > > deraileur or not. Also the front deraileur has to accommodate a

31.6mm
> > > seat tube.
> > >
> > > Am I or my local LBS going to find this groupo or will I have to

go
> > > with the new 10-speed setup?
> > >

> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Steve
> > >

> > 1. It's "gruppo"
> > 2. It's "triple"
> > 3. It's "derailleur"
> > 4. It's available just about everywhere for now.

> Praise be to Allah, a fellow pedant!
>
> 1. It's only "gruppo" in Italy or if you are a poseur. Otherwise, in
> English-speaking environs, it's "group".
>
> 2. Yep.
>
> 3. It's only "derailleur" if you happen to be speaking French.
> "Derailer" is the English word, and a better one, because the word
> explains what it does.

Where did you get this information? "Derailer" is the Sheldon Brown
word. No one else has ever used the word "derailer" to describe a
bicycle derailleur except Sheldon Brown. If you go to an English
dictionary, you will find the word derailleur listed. You will not
find the word "derailer". "Derailer" is not an English word. It is a
made up word.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer.html

[email protected] wrote:

> Where did you get this information? "Derailer" is the Sheldon Brown
> word. No one else has ever used the word "derailer" to describe a
> bicycle derailleur except Sheldon Brown. If you go to an English
> dictionary, you will find the word derailleur listed. You will not
> find the word "derailer". "Derailer" is not an English word. It is a
> made up word.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer.html

Actually, it's made-up _spelling_ of an existing word. The article
linked above explains my reasons for wanting to anglicize the
faux-french spelling.

A quick Google search finds 29,000 references to "derailer." I'm a
prolific poster, but not _that_ prolific.

Only 2350 hits for "stokid" a word I did actually make up, as opposed to
"derailleur/derailer" where I'm trying (with considerable success) to
change the standard spelling.

Sheldon "It Seems To Be Working..." Brown
| The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the |
| unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world |
| to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the |
| unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

> Ted wrote:
> > In article <1109635385.7b93c2ed1a60189832cd992142e1b0a9@teranews>,
> > Diablo Scott <[email protected]> wrote:

> looking

> same

> have

> redundant

> with

> cassette

> rear

> 31.6mm

> go

> > > 1. It's "gruppo"
> > > 2. It's "triple"
> > > 3. It's "derailleur"
> > > 4. It's available just about everywhere for now.

> > Praise be to Allah, a fellow pedant!
> >
> > 1. It's only "gruppo" in Italy or if you are a poseur. Otherwise, in
> > English-speaking environs, it's "group".
> >
> > 2. Yep.
> >
> > 3. It's only "derailleur" if you happen to be speaking French.
> > "Derailer" is the English word, and a better one, because the word
> > explains what it does.

> Where did you get this information? "Derailer" is the Sheldon Brown
> word. No one else has ever used the word "derailer" to describe a
> bicycle derailleur except Sheldon Brown. If you go to an English
> dictionary, you will find the word derailleur listed. You will not
> find the word "derailer". "Derailer" is not an English word. It is a
> made up word.

Yebbut, the dictionary is wrong. There's been majority rule long enough
around here.

--
Ted Bennett
Portland, OR

Ted wrote:

> 1. It's only "gruppo" in Italy or if you are a poseur. Otherwise, in
> English-speaking environs, it's "group".

"poseur" ??? Your puerile pedantry lacks consistency.

--

In article <1109745158.8a5caf952df86b474bdc6c070fca61b1@teranews>,
Diablo Scott <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ted wrote:
>

> > 1. It's only "gruppo" in Italy or if you are a poseur. Otherwise, in
> > English-speaking environs, it's "group".

> "poseur" ??? Your puerile pedantry lacks consistency.

OK, you got me. I was waiting for that.

--
Ted Bennett
Portland, OR

Martyn Aldis wrote:

> Why go for soo-doe phonetics on just one word simply because it forms a
> descriptive English word?
>
> Metres to Meters
> Cafe to Cafay
>
> How do you say it over there Antraprenuwer?
>
> No thanks. Since English spelling is so irrational let's give these
> words the right to speak about where they came from.
>
> I see no need for an anglicised spelling, apart from some amusing
> gullibility testing (where Sheldon has clearly scored a serious success).

The tragic consequences of being Hooked On Phonics. Just Say No.

Dave Lehnen

Ted Bennett wrote:

> Yebbut, the dictionary is wrong. There's been majority rule long enough
> around here.

Is "Yehbut" from the "English Language Dictionary Edited by Gene Daniels"?

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

In article <[email protected]>,
<[email protected]> says...

> Ted wrote:
> > In article <1109635385.7b93c2ed1a60189832cd992142e1b0a9@teranews>,
> > Diablo Scott <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Praise be to Allah, a fellow pedant!
> >
> > 1. It's only "gruppo" in Italy or if you are a poseur. Otherwise, in
> > English-speaking environs, it's "group".
> >
> > 2. Yep.
> >
> > 3. It's only "derailleur" if you happen to be speaking French.
> > "Derailer" is the English word, and a better one, because the word
> > explains what it does.

> Where did you get this information? "Derailer" is the Sheldon Brown
> word. No one else has ever used the word "derailer" to describe a
> bicycle derailleur except Sheldon Brown. If you go to an English
> dictionary, you will find the word derailleur listed. You will not
> find the word "derailer". "Derailer" is not an English word. It is a
> made up word.
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer.html

To further the pedantry...

Aren't all words made up?

--
Greg Estep

Sheldon Brown wrote:

> A quick Google search finds 29,000 references to "derailer." I'm a
> prolific poster, but not _that_ prolific.
>
> Only 2350 hits for "stokid" a word I did actually make up, as opposed

> "derailleur/derailer" where I'm trying (with considerable success)

> change the standard spelling.
>
> Sheldon "It Seems To Be Working..." Brown

Personally, I prefer "chain shifter thingy", but I don't think it'll
catch on.

Jeff "Pedantic Iambeter" Wills