General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: Sit and reach and Running

Started by Prisoner at War · · Last activity · 3 posts · 1,030 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
28 November 2007
Last activity
2 December 2007
Original author
Prisoner at War
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,030
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Quoted message said:

    I have a police physical fitness test coming up in January. I'm
    fairly well off with the benchpress, situps, and pushups. The only
    problems I have are with the running and sit and reach.

    I have been running for about a year now and can run the 1.5 mi run in
    about 12 min 30 sec. I need to get that down to around 11. As for
    sit and reach, I can just reach my toes before I feel the tightness of
    the muscles under my knees/thighs stopping me. I thought sit and
    reach was supposed to be a measure of lower back muscle flexibility?
    My legs seem to be stopping me from going any further.

    Any ideas to speed up my run and improve my sit and reach? I just
    started stretching recently as I didn't know it was a part of the
    test. As for running, I'm not sure how to improve that - I seem to be
    at some kind of plateau where I can't go any faster without running
    out of breath.

    Thanks.

    Do sprints up moderate inclines; it's a proven technique of elite
    athletes, helping them improve their best times. The key is to do
    them on moderate inclines, but to give it your all for those ten or
    fifteen seconds. Do a few reps (do runners call them "reps," too?),
    with like a three minutes' rest in-between each. Incorporate them
    into a weekly jogging routine. Assuming you have no other issues,
    like morbid obesity, you should be able to shave off a whole minute,
    if not more, off your time. Hopefully, you have a few months' time to
    spare until the test!

    Improving flexibility should be even easier. You should see results
    within a month, no more than two months, of due diligence. Stretch
    every day, and force yourself just a few centimeters more every other
    day, and to hold for a few seconds more...as a bonus, improving
    flexibility should also help with your run.

    My suspicion is that you either haven't been trying hard enough, or
    you have a health issue preventing your making more progress...are you
    obese, for example, like most cops? While obesity in itself doesn't
    mean you can't be flexible (look at Samo Hung) or fast (there was a
    big old fat guy who used to post good results in the Death Valley
    Marathon), it's often a factor in limited progress and performance
    plateaus....

  2. Prisoner at War said:
    Quoted message said:

    I have a police physical fitness test coming up in January. I'm
    fairly well off with the benchpress, situps, and pushups. The only
    problems I have are with the running and sit and reach.

    Quoted message said:

    I have been running for about a year now and can run the 1.5 mi run in
    about 12 min 30 sec. I need to get that down to around 11. As for
    sit and reach, I can just reach my toes before I feel the tightness of
    the muscles under my knees/thighs stopping me. I thought sit and
    reach was supposed to be a measure of lower back muscle flexibility?
    My legs seem to be stopping me from going any further.

    Quoted message said:

    Any ideas to speed up my run and improve my sit and reach? I just
    started stretching recently as I didn't know it was a part of the
    test. As for running, I'm not sure how to improve that - I seem to be
    at some kind of plateau where I can't go any faster without running
    out of breath.

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks.

    Do sprints up moderate inclines; it's a proven technique of elite
    athletes, helping them improve their best times. The key is to do
    them on moderate inclines, but to give it your all for those ten or
    fifteen seconds. Do a few reps (do runners call them "reps," too?),
    with like a three minutes' rest in-between each. Incorporate them
    into a weekly jogging routine. Assuming you have no other issues,
    like morbid obesity, you should be able to shave off a whole minute,
    if not more, off your time. Hopefully, you have a few months' time to
    spare until the test!

    Improving flexibility should be even easier. You should see results
    within a month, no more than two months, of due diligence. Stretch
    every day, and force yourself just a few centimeters more every other
    day, and to hold for a few seconds more...as a bonus, improving
    flexibility should also help with your run.

    My suspicion is that you either haven't been trying hard enough, or
    you have a health issue preventing your making more progress...are you
    obese, for example, like most cops? While obesity in itself doesn't
    mean you can't be flexible (look at Samo Hung) or fast (there was a
    big old fat guy who used to post good results in the Death Valley
    Marathon), it's often a factor in limited progress and performance
    plateaus....

    I'm not obese, but I was before I started training. I guess that
    probably slowed down my progress. Thanks everyone for the very
    informative tips - I'll give them a try.

  3. PaW has some pretty good suggestions.

    Regarding running, if you are a heel striker, meaning landing on the
    heel and rolling to the forefoot, then you are overstriding. If you
    check out www.chirunning.com or www.posetech.com you'll see that if you
    march in place you land ball then heel. If you continue to march in
    place and lean from the ankle, everytime you place a foot down you are a
    few inches ahead as you are now using gravity to help you run.

    I talk a little about heel strike is due to our fear of falling after an
    early fall in childhood caused us to walk differently and that impacts
    the way we run after that initial fall:
    http://www.mindfulness.com/blog/mindful-running/?p=26

    Both Pose and Chi talk about running at 180 steps/minute. You can
    check out http://www.mindfulness.com/blog/mindful-running/?p=16 How to
    make 180 steps/minute feel really slow.

    PaW's training using slight uphill can also be used in reverse. To get
    a faster leg turnover without tiring yourself too quickly you can use a
    gradual downhill to learn to run faster using the downhill as a way of
    coasting. The idea is to start down the hill slowly keeping your
    cadence steady. The idea is you have only to put your feet down as the
    hill is falling away. Keeping the same lean as you do on level ground,
    you'll find that the added slope of the hill increases your speed. If
    you keep the same cadence, every step is slightly longer due to the
    diagonal being longer than the base of a rectangle.

    The trick is to go down the hill slowly first keeping the same cadence.
    That way you feel the power of the hill in helping you go down. If you
    don't place your foot down quickly enough, you'll overstride and land on
    the back of the heel of the shoe.

    After several of these coasting runs down the gradual slope, you can
    lean from the ankle a half degree more and you begin to use the slope of
    the hill and the increased lean of the body to find that you can coast
    down the hill faster.

    Regarding the stretch and reach, the idea is that if you keep the body
    erect or straight as you lean forward from the hips, what will be
    stopping you from reaching further will be your hamstrings.

    The best exercise for stretching the hamstrings will be to stop
    slouching when you sit. The backward tilt of the pelvis not only
    shortens the hamstrings, it also shortens the psoas. Sitting erect
    while driving your car and sitting erect during your working day has a
    great impact on your hamstrings. I talk about Improper Stretching :
    http://www.mindfulness.com/mindful_running/articles/oi_article1.php

    When you do a stretch think of your body as a jackknife and not a
    U-bolt. As you lean forward and you hunch forward from the waist, the
    pelvis tilt backwards and doesn't give the hamstring a good stretch when
    you keep the body erect and lean forward as if the upper body is the
    blade of a jack knife closing.

    In health and on the run,

    Ozzie Gontang
    [email hidden]
    Maintainer - rec.running FAQ
    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/by-newsgroup/rec/rec.running.html
    Director, San Diego Marathon Clinic, est. 1975

    Mindful Running http://www.mindfulness.com/mr.html

    Quoted message said:


    I'm not obese, but I was before I started training. I guess that
    probably slowed down my progress. Thanks everyone for the very
    informative tips - I'll give them a try.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.