Re: Skoda Bikes

John Burns

Guest
> Some people like the image associated with certain brands of car. Off
> the top of my head, other car makers that have started selling bikes are
> Porsche, Mazda and either Range Rover or Land Rover. I don't think
> Peugeot really counts, being a bike maker that also sells cars :)

BMW have been doing a range of VERY expensive bikes for about five
years. Never seen one in the flesh.

--
Who needs a life when you've got Unix? :)
Email: [email protected], John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland

On Tue, 17 May 2005 10:14:18 +0100, John Burns <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> Some people like the image associated with certain brands of car. Off
>> the top of my head, other car makers that have started selling bikes are
>> Porsche, Mazda and either Range Rover or Land Rover. I don't think
>> Peugeot really counts, being a bike maker that also sells cars :)

> BMW have been doing a range of VERY expensive bikes for about five
> years. Never seen one in the flesh.

Spotted one at L2B last year, very sleek looking, and surprisingly
understated. Didn't get a change to make a judgement about the driver,
er, rider though ;-)

While we're on the subject Cadillac have just launched a bike range
in the US: http://www.cadillacbicycles.com/

Apparently they're ****. The Cadillac name is licensed by GM to a
manufacturer called Kent, notable for their "My Little Pony" range
of bikes.

--
jc

On Tue, 17 May 2005 11:18:43 +0100, Jeremy Collins
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Tue, 17 May 2005 10:14:18 +0100, John Burns
> <[email protected]> wrote:

>> BMW have been doing a range of VERY expensive bikes for about five
>> years. Never seen one in the flesh.

> Spotted one at L2B last year, very sleek looking, and surprisingly
> understated. Didn't get a change to make a judgement about the driver,
> er, rider though ;-)

Would it be terribly bad form to add that I also overtook the expensive
BMW bike and left him far behind, riding only a £90 Halfords "MTB"? [1]

[1] My "pop into town" hack bike - the only bike I had to ride at the time;
it got nicked shortly after it started to crumble into bits. I don't miss
it.

--
jc

One of the Hummer bikes was on ebay last month, quite something!
Aparently designed for the Marines, it's a folder and can be stored in
the Hummer. I suspect the Marine's version doesn't use the bright yellow
colours that seem to be standard on the civilian version ;-) Very
unusual looking design.

--
Who needs a life when you've got Unix? :)
Email: [email protected], John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web : http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!

> Would it be terribly bad form to add that I also overtook the expensive
> BMW bike and left him far behind, riding only a £90 Halfords "MTB"? [1]

Maybe it was only the normal BMW version and not the faster //M Technic
(sorry, bad BMW insiders joke!) ;-)

--
Who needs a life when you've got Unix? :)
Email: [email protected], John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web : http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!

Roedd <<John Burns>> wedi ysgrifennu:

> One of the Hummer bikes was on ebay last month, quite something!
> Aparently designed for the Marines, it's a folder and can be stored in
> the Hummer. I suspect the Marine's version doesn't use the bright
> yellow colours that seem to be standard on the civilian version ;-)
> Very unusual looking design.

It's a re-badged Montague Paratrooper (www.militarybikes.com) with an extra
$100 on the price tag and a spash of yellow paint.

--
Rob

http://www.asta51.dsl.pipex.com/webcam/

John Burns wrote:
> One of the Hummer bikes was on ebay last month, quite something!
> Aparently designed for the Marines, it's a folder and can be stored in
> the Hummer.

I'd always assumed that possibly only benefit of owning a hummer would
be that you could fit in a full size /non-folding/ bike.

On Tue, 17 May 2005 19:18:45 +0100, Not Responding
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I'd always assumed that possibly only benefit of owning a hummer would
>be that you could fit in a full size /non-folding/ bike.

Don't know about the luggage capacity of a Hummer, but I am
continually surprised by the lack of usable space in some quite large
vehicles.

The last surprise was the difficulty in getting a bike in the back of
a Multipla. Unbelievable awkward.