Re: Snow-riding?

Edward Dolan

Guest
"NY Rides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:c%[email protected]...
> OK, I need to get my blood going again or I'm going to be a lump of pure
> fat
> by spring time.
>
> The streets out here on Long Island are still thick with snow in most
> places. Has anybody here used studded winter tires for purely
> recreational
> riding? What I mean to ask is, if I don't NEED to use my bike to get
> somewhere (ie: commute to work), is the experience of riding on snow worth
> the cost of a set of studded tires?
>
> Also, has anybody made their own set of these?

I did what you are thinking of many years ago and it really doesn't work
very well. Sooner or later you are going to encounter a slippery patch
(usually ice) and down you go. It is not worth breaking your hip to ride in
snow and ice. If you want to be safe I suggest you get a recumbent trike.
You will never have to worry about falling on a recumbent trike and you can
get plenty of good exercise on them.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Kurt,
The NoCom is a racing bike. Some of the A.R.B,R. regulars do not like to talk about cycling and are threatened by bike talk and active lifestyle. I say buy a NoCom and you can not go wrong. Do not pay attention to some of the people at A.R.B.R. that do not like the NoCom.

Roger Nolan

Kurt Richter
Guest

What is this Velokraft NoCom? I was going to buy a trike but after reading this post I decided to hold off and buy a fast machine. Does anyone have any photos or links?

Kurt Richter
[email protected]

Edward Dolan wrote:

> "NY Rides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:c%[email protected]...
>
>>OK, I need to get my blood going again or I'm going to be a lump of pure
>>fat
>>by spring time.
>>
>>The streets out here on Long Island are still thick with snow in most
>>places. Has anybody here used studded winter tires for purely
>>recreational
>>riding? What I mean to ask is, if I don't NEED to use my bike to get
>>somewhere (ie: commute to work), is the experience of riding on snow worth
>>the cost of a set of studded tires?
>>
>>Also, has anybody made their own set of these?

> I did what you are thinking of many years ago and it really doesn't work
> very well. Sooner or later you are going to encounter a slippery patch
> (usually ice) and down you go. It is not worth breaking your hip to ride in
> snow and ice. If you want to be safe I suggest you get a recumbent trike.
> You will never have to worry about falling on a recumbent trike and you can
> get plenty of good exercise on them.

However, it is possible to flip a trike (or other multi-track vehicles)
if one slides sideways on a low coefficient of friction surface (e.g.
ice) onto a higher coefficient of friction surface (e.g. dry pavement).
This may seem unlikely to happen, but recumbent trikes (at least
tadpoles) tend to bring out the crazy side in many people.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

I never ridden in snow but I found an interesting website that
specializes in winter riding.

http://www.icebike.com/Default.htm

Tom Sherman wrote:

> Edward Dolan wrote:
>
>> "NY Rides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:c%[email protected]...
>>
>>> OK, I need to get my blood going again or I'm going to be a lump of
>>> pure fat
>>> by spring time.
>>>
>>> The streets out here on Long Island are still thick with snow in most
>>> places. Has anybody here used studded winter tires for purely
>>> recreational
>>> riding? What I mean to ask is, if I don't NEED to use my bike to get
>>> somewhere (ie: commute to work), is the experience of riding on snow
>>> worth
>>> the cost of a set of studded tires?
>>>
>>> Also, has anybody made their own set of these?

>> I did what you are thinking of many years ago and it really doesn't
>> work very well. Sooner or later you are going to encounter a slippery
>> patch (usually ice) and down you go. It is not worth breaking your
>> hip to ride in snow and ice. If you want to be safe I suggest you get
>> a recumbent trike. You will never have to worry about falling on a
>> recumbent trike and you can get plenty of good exercise on them.

> However, it is possible to flip a trike (or other multi-track
> vehicles) if one slides sideways on a low coefficient of friction
> surface (e.g. ice) onto a higher coefficient of friction surface (e.g.
> dry pavement). This may seem unlikely to happen, but recumbent trikes
> (at least tadpoles) tend to bring out the crazy side in many people.

> I also hear that a used (or new) bicycle inner brake / gear cable can
> be wrapped around the tire and act like chains on car tires.
> Experiment and ride slowly until you are confident of the performance.

I would suggest not trying the above with rim brakes!

--
Tom Sherman - Earth