Re: Snowmelt season begins

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
> Per vey:
>> I wear it even when I am not out cycling if I get
>> hot and I wore it into a restaurant once. Turns out that there was a
>> club of Multiple Sclerosis sufferers meeting there and they kept coming
>> up to the table asking me how long I had "it." Took me a bit to

> I'm guessing that you store it in a freezer overnite or
> something.
>
> How long does it keep you cool once you've put it on and gone
> outside on a, say, ninety-degree day?

I store it in the meat drawer.

How long it lasts depends on how heavy the work is. It lasts about 1.5
hours while working hard in the yard directly in the sun on a 90 degree
day. I don't ride that hard and long toodling around town on my bike
running errands on shady streets in the summer, so it lasts about
2.5-3.0 hours for me doing that. Sometimes longer.

The best way to recharge it is in ice water, which takes about 20-25
minutes. In the fridge, it takes about an hour. Freezer doesn't speed it
up too much since it freezes at 50 degrees, but it is a little faster.

If I wanted all-day use, I would buy an extra set of packs, but I don't
spend all day outside, just a morning or an afternoon.

Zoot Katz wrote:

> It seems a couple of those small lunch box coolers tucked into jersey
> pockets, right over your kidneys, would cool your blood for the
> duration of a "training ride".

I read somewhere that this wouldn't be a good idea, but I don't remember
why.

The vest keeps the packs high and tight, and above the kidneys, but I
don't know why. The back heats up faster than the front one, if that
helps explain what is happening.

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
> Per vey:
>> I wear it even when I am not out cycling if I get
>> hot and I wore it into a restaurant once. Turns out that there was a
>> club of Multiple Sclerosis sufferers meeting there and they kept coming
>> up to the table asking me how long I had "it." Took me a bit to

> I'm guessing that you store it in a freezer overnite or
> something.
>
> How long does it keep you cool once you've put it on and gone
> outside on a, say, ninety-degree day?

BTW, I usually only wear it through the end of July or beginning of
August and only when it gets over 85 or so.

By August, I have been acclimated, but the packs really help me until I
get acclimated. I really get grouchy when it gets hot in the spring.

vey wrote:
> Zoot Katz wrote:
>

>> It seems a couple of those small lunch box coolers tucked into jersey
>> pockets, right over your kidneys, would cool your blood for the
>> duration of a "training ride".

> I read somewhere that this wouldn't be a good idea, but I don't remember
> why.
>
> The vest keeps the packs high and tight, and above the kidneys, but I
> don't know why. The back heats up faster than the front one, if that
> helps explain what is happening.

I remember now why it is not a good idea. Stones.

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 19:35:08 -0400, vey <[email protected]> wrote
regarding:
/
>>> http://www.50degree.com/

/
Tom Sherman replied:
>> Cool! (pun intended).
>>
>> I may have to get one of the vests and head coolers for our miserably
>> hot Upper Midwestern summers.
>>

>Ho! Somebody finally noticed my post! I dunno about the head thing. The
>point of the front and back packs in the vest is to keep the heart and
>other innards cool so cooled blood is pumped to the extremities.

It seems a couple of those small lunch box coolers tucked into jersey
pockets, right over your kidneys, would cool your blood for the
duration of a "training ride".

Of course, if ones lower back is in contact with the bike's rider
support device, the hard lumps might prove uncomfortable.
--
zk

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 22:17:41 -0400, vey <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Zoot Katz wrote:
>>

>>> It seems a couple of those small lunch box coolers tucked into jersey
>>> pockets, right over your kidneys, would cool your blood for the
>>> duration of a "training ride".

>>I read somewhere that this wouldn't be a good idea, but I don't remember
>>why.
>>
>>The vest keeps the packs high and tight, and above the kidneys, but I
>>don't know why. The back heats up faster than the front one, if that
>>helps explain what is happening.

> Dear Vey,
>
> One reason is that lots more air hits the front pack, cooling it as
> long as the air temperature is less than body temp.
>
> Another reason is that if the rider leans over the bars, his back is
> more likely to get the sun, while his front is shaded.
>
> If you wanted an efficient body cooler, you'd cold-pack your head,
> where the greatest heat loss occurs--enormous circulation and area.
>
> That's why hats are so useful in cold weather. Reducing the heat loss
> from your head pays off better than anything else of comparable size.

I've used one of these (not on a bike or motorcycle) and it seemed to work
well:
http://tinyurl.com/3aclna
Couldn't remember the name of the company that makes it, so as I was
searching, came across:
http://www.gizmag.com/go/4935/
for those who think helmets aren't enough (heading for cover now).
Kerry

In article
<cf0535f4-e6bd-4f6b-b4fa-462114c7a02b@q78g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
datakoll <[email protected]> wrote:
>On Mar 19, 7:52 pm, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
>>In article <[email protected]>,
>> Harry Brogan <hbrogan57_AT_NOSPAM_DOT_YAHOO_DOT_COM> wrote:

>>>There are low humidity areas in Texas????.....hmmmmmmm

>>I spent a year and a half in El Paso. Loved it.

>you get VD?

Very, _very_ drunk.

--
Michael Press

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 22:17:41 -0400, vey <[email protected]> wrote:

>Zoot Katz wrote:
>

>> It seems a couple of those small lunch box coolers tucked into jersey
>> pockets, right over your kidneys, would cool your blood for the
>> duration of a "training ride".

>I read somewhere that this wouldn't be a good idea, but I don't remember
>why.
>
>The vest keeps the packs high and tight, and above the kidneys, but I
>don't know why. The back heats up faster than the front one, if that
>helps explain what is happening.

Dear Vey,

One reason is that lots more air hits the front pack, cooling it as
long as the air temperature is less than body temp.

Another reason is that if the rider leans over the bars, his back is
more likely to get the sun, while his front is shaded.

If you wanted an efficient body cooler, you'd cold-pack your head,
where the greatest heat loss occurs--enormous circulation and area.

That's why hats are so useful in cold weather. Reducing the heat loss
from your head pays off better than anything else of comparable size.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 22:17:41 -0400, vey <[email protected]> wrote:

>Zoot Katz wrote:
>

>> It seems a couple of those small lunch box coolers tucked into jersey
>> pockets, right over your kidneys, would cool your blood for the
>> duration of a "training ride".

>I read somewhere that this wouldn't be a good idea, but I don't remember
>why.
>
>The vest keeps the packs high and tight, and above the kidneys, but I
>don't know why. The back heats up faster than the front one, if that
>helps explain what is happening.

Your front side is in the wind stream to help cooling. Your back is
exposed to the sun. Working hard in hot weather I notice more sweat
around my solar plexus than around my lower back. Maybe we have more
sweat glands on our belly.

I'd think that with all of your blood passing through your kidneys it
would be a good place for trying to modify blood temperature.

I've an insulated cycling jacket with fleece for its lining over the
lower back only. It's also where the zippers for a large single rear
pocket act as vents. With the front and rear pockets zipped the
jacket is noticeably warmer.
--
zk

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 20:48:57 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>If you wanted an efficient body cooler, you'd cold-pack your head,
>where the greatest heat loss occurs--enormous circulation and area.

The white hard shell kayak hat keeps the air space over my head well
ventilated and partially shaded. A wetted cotton skull cap under it
works a treat.
--
zk

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 18:01:40 -0500, Tom Sherman
<[email protected]> wrote:

>datakoll aka gene daniels wrote:
>> WEATHER IS CRITICAL.
>>

>INDEED!

bulldadda. People are critical of the weather.

The weather is largely indifferent.
--
zk

vey wrote:
> I remember now why it is not a good idea. Stones.

'Hot Rocks' is Stones
'Birth of the Cool' is Miles Davis
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Edward Dolan wrote:

> [...]
>>> It is impossible to enjoy the out of doors unless the temperature is at
>>> least in the 20's, preferably the 30's. But if the wind is blowing it has
>>> got to be in the 40's. All those pictures of kids playing in the snow is
>>> pure fantasy. You can only do that if it is fairly warm. I have always
>>> hated the cold and the snow all of my life. There is no one in this world
>>> who hates Minnesota more than I do!
>>>

>> I used to ride my bicycle to school every day in Wisconsin, and only wore
>> a toque, jeans, sweatshirt and windbreaker in winter, as anything more was
>> too hot.

> Yeah, I had a paper route when I was a kid and never knew how to dress for
> the weather either. I would come back from my route with frozen feet, a
> really painful experience. I can still remember hopping about trying to
> restore some circulation.

People would also be concerned that I was not wearing a heavy jacket,
but I would have sweated like a pig if I had ridden wearing one, even at
-20°C.

>>> The Scandinavians have a saying that there is no such thing as bad
>>> weather, only inadequate clothing. But who wants to bundle up like an
>>> Eskimo just to venture out of doors. You can have Minnesota, I'll take
>>> Panama!
>>>

>> We Scandinavians know how to dress for the winter. Duh!

> Scandinavians may very well know how to dress for winter, but not those
> living in the US. The folks hereabouts regardless of their ancestry do not
> have a clue about how to dress for winter. I see that all the time as they
> run from the house to the car to the store without any head covering,
> scarves or mittens - or anything else that is sensible to wear when it is
> cold. Americans have become as dumb as posts about how to dress for cold
> weather.

butbutbut, they will mess up their hair!

I see that all the time where the children down the street are waiting
for the bus. They have parkas heavy enough for a expedition to the
Antarctic, but nothing covering their heads.

I have an Outdoor Research polymer fleece cap with Gore Windstopper®
that is great at keeping my head warm in the winter.

Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Edward Dolan wrote:
>>> "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...
>>> [...]
>>> Here is a bozo who belongs in Barrow, Alaska. The polar bears can chase
>>> him while he runs about the town.
>>>

>> Denmark in the summer is a wonderful place, since 25°C is a hot day.

> A temp in the 70's is too cool for me. It must be in the 80's before any
> place can be considered wonderful. If there is no humidity, I prefer the
> temp to be in the 90's.

I am usually the first to complain about the heat and humidity and the
last to complain about the cold on a group ride.

>>> What's with all this KM and C ****? Only jerks like TS write that
>>> gobbledygook.

>> Long live Le Système International d'Unités!

> TS must have some very fancy computer fonts in order to get those French
> letter markings.

Type as "Long live Le Syst{ALT0232}me International d'Unit{ALT0233}s!"

>> P.S. The abbreviation of kilometer is "km", not "KM".

> TS just does this **** in order to **** me off!

Yay!

In article <7a655893-be89-4478-9329-e15b0d1b6e42@n75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
datakoll <[email protected]> writes:

> Those midwest rides are all downwind, right?

From what I've been hearing on this NG, all midwest
rides are upwind, no matter what direction in which
one rides. Maybe it's a Tornado Alley thing.

> I'm swimming on Monday.

Somethin' wrong with yer bike?

Anyways, watch out for the 'gators. At least maybe
take along a flat repair kit. And a 2-foot length
of broom-handle. Maybe two of 'em fer just in case.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

Per vey:
>By August, I have been acclimated, but the packs really help me until I
>get acclimated. I really get grouchy when it gets hot in the spring.

Couple years back, a guy got dead on a really hot summer day.
They found him laying on the trail, still astride his bike.
--
PeteCresswell

Zoot Katz wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 20:48:57 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>
>> If you wanted an efficient body cooler, you'd cold-pack your head,
>> where the greatest heat loss occurs--enormous circulation and area.

> The white hard shell kayak hat keeps the air space over my head well
> ventilated and partially shaded. A wetted cotton skull cap under it
> works a treat.

It would have to be something cold. Wet cloths become hot and wet and
stay hot and wet when the humidity is 90%. They work fine in low
humidity, but we see so little of that here in Florida.

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
> Per vey:
>> By August, I have been acclimated, but the packs really help me until I
>> get acclimated. I really get grouchy when it gets hot in the spring.

> Couple years back, a guy got dead on a really hot summer day.
> They found him laying on the trail, still astride his bike.

Sure. Heat stroke. Seems to happen more out west?

They say to drink water, but even when I'm fully hydrated, until I get
acclimated, all I do is sweat hard and since the humidity is around 90%
all the time in the summer (100% at night) sweating won't cool me off.

Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Edward Dolan wrote:

> [...]
>>> A temp in the 70's is too cool for me. It must be in the 80's before any
>>> place can be considered wonderful. If there is no humidity, I prefer the
>>> temp to be in the 90's.
>>>

>> I am usually the first to complain about the heat and humidity and the
>> last to complain about the cold on a group ride.

> From this I deduce that you are a fat chubby sort of person. You may deduce
> from my preferred climate settings that I am a thin scraggly sort of person.
> Not even Death Valley in the summertime is too hot for me. When I die, I
> WANT to go to Hell if it is well heated!

I was the same way in high school when I was 1.8 meters (m) tall and had
a mass of 55 kilograms (kg).

>>> TS must have some very fancy computer fonts in order to get those French
>>> letter markings.
>>>

>> Type as "Long live Le Syst{ALT0232}me International d'Unit{ALT0233}s!"

> I never use any keyboard shortcuts or longcuts. If I can't click it with my
> mouse, screw it! Besides, I hate the French and their freaking language.
> Voila!
> [...]

That should be "Voilà" [1], although on Usenet the deliberate use of
"Viola" [2] is acceptable. ;)

[1] Or "Voil{ALT0224}"
[2] Yes, spelled like the fretless musical instrument.