Re: So, uh....

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by [email protected], Jan 30, 2005.

  1. Madelaine wrote:
    > Mike Edey wrote:
    >
    > > Anyone done much swimming recently?
    > >
    > > --Mike

    > I go to the pool and what do you know but the pool is closed because

    of
    > a swim meet. Those people think just because they swim 20-30 hours

    per
    > week to improve their times that they can interfere with my workout!
    > The nerve!

    Such is life. The one here "shuts" for a lot of reasons. Ladies hour
    being one of them (-:
    I've not had a swim lately. First I can not as yet translate (into
    English) all the displayed pool information and asking at the reception
    drew a blank. I am being very careful. This time last year a guest
    nearly went off her trolly when I suggested eating cookie (at home).
    Aparantly it was not the proper time of day to eat such a thing. People
    are very nice, but they do have their cultural barriers and so I feel
    I'm constantly tippy-toeing. So there's no way I feel like popping
    along for a swim until such time as I have sufficient Dutch to tackle
    any uspets I might inadvertantly create.
    e.g. A couple of years ago a lady friend told me she had heard the mens
    changing rooms in our gym had open showers. "So?" I asked not able to
    understand why she was asking in such a shocked manner". She gringed
    "But what's wrong?" I asked and then put it to her that I for one
    couldn't be bothered putting on everything just to take it all off
    again onece I got behind some shower door.
    That led to a question as to how I go from the locker to the showers.
    To me, I don't see the problem, but may well encounter a problem here
    and have no way of smoothening off the concerns.

    > It did give me an idea for a more challenging meet--have randomly

    placed
    > very slow swimmers as obstacles and no lane lines. This could make
    > swimming a spectator sport. Plus, I'd get my workout in.
    > Madelaine

    Apart form concerns of cultural ethiquete my interest in swimming is
    not for fitness, weight loss, or racking up mileage. It's initially
    purely for the sensory experience of being in such water and how I can
    alter or highlight the experience. I also like to explore the
    challenges of limitations on movement within water. And so I've worked
    out for myself how to do the frontcrawl whilst travelling backwards,
    ditto the backstroke and just about any stroke. (the buterfly being
    udsidedown whilst travelling feet first)
    Clearly when I first do get into the pool here I'll have to subdue that
    interest by quite a bit.
    I see they have lanes for lane swimmer. From experices at my previous
    pool, I wonder how often a lane swimmer will hammer up and down outside
    the lanes, which are empty, and then moan about the likes of me and you
    getting in his royal way!

    Tags:

  2. [email protected] wrote:
    > Madelaine wrote:
    >
    >>Mike Edey wrote:
    >>

    >>>Anyone done much swimming recently?
    >>>
    >>>--Mike

    >>I go to the pool and what do you know but the pool is closed because

    > of
    >
    >>a swim meet. Those people think just because they swim 20-30 hours

    > per
    >
    >>week to improve their times that they can interfere with my workout!
    >>The nerve!

    > Such is life. The one here "shuts" for a lot of reasons. Ladies hour
    > being one of them (-:
    > I've not had a swim lately. First I can not as yet translate (into
    > English) all the displayed pool information and asking at the reception
    > drew a blank. I am being very careful. This time last year a guest
    > nearly went off her trolly when I suggested eating cookie (at home).
    > Aparantly it was not the proper time of day to eat such a thing. People
    > are very nice, but they do have their cultural barriers and so I feel
    > I'm constantly tippy-toeing. So there's no way I feel like popping
    > along for a swim until such time as I have sufficient Dutch to tackle
    > any uspets I might inadvertantly create.
    > e.g. A couple of years ago a lady friend told me she had heard the mens
    > changing rooms in our gym had open showers. "So?" I asked not able to
    > understand why she was asking in such a shocked manner". She gringed
    > "But what's wrong?" I asked and then put it to her that I for one
    > couldn't be bothered putting on everything just to take it all off
    > again onece I got behind some shower door.
    > That led to a question as to how I go from the locker to the showers.
    > To me, I don't see the problem, but may well encounter a problem here
    > and have no way of smoothening off the concerns.
    >
    >>It did give me an idea for a more challenging meet--have randomly

    > placed
    >
    >>very slow swimmers as obstacles and no lane lines. This could make
    >>swimming a spectator sport. Plus, I'd get my workout in.
    >>Madelaine

    > Apart form concerns of cultural ethiquete my interest in swimming is
    > not for fitness, weight loss, or racking up mileage. It's initially
    > purely for the sensory experience of being in such water and how I can
    > alter or highlight the experience. I also like to explore the
    > challenges of limitations on movement within water. And so I've worked
    > out for myself how to do the frontcrawl whilst travelling backwards,
    > ditto the backstroke and just about any stroke. (the buterfly being
    > udsidedown whilst travelling feet first)
    > Clearly when I first do get into the pool here I'll have to subdue that
    > interest by quite a bit.
    > I see they have lanes for lane swimmer. From experices at my previous
    > pool, I wonder how often a lane swimmer will hammer up and down outside
    > the lanes, which are empty, and then moan about the likes of me and you
    > getting in his royal way!

    Why were you arguing about swimming through heavy surf?

  3. Martin W. Smith wrote:
> [...]

    > > challenges of limitations on movement within water. And so I've

    worked
    > > out for myself how to do the frontcrawl whilst travelling

    backwards,
    > > ditto the backstroke and just about any stroke. (the buterfly being
    > > udsidedown whilst travelling feet first)
    > > Clearly when I first do get into the pool here I'll have to subdue

    that
    > > interest by quite a bit.
    > > I see they have lanes for lane swimmer. From experices at my

    previous
    > > pool, I wonder how often a lane swimmer will hammer up and down

    outside
    > > the lanes, which are empty, and then moan about the likes of me and

    you
    > > getting in his royal way!

    > Why were you arguing about swimming through heavy surf?

    Why not? Am I not entitled to wonder about such a challenge?
    (or was that another 'I'm just bored' question?)

    It looks like my next swim will more likely be in sea water. That's on
    my mind. It was an interesting question you raised. I wondered about
    the limitations of movement in such circumstances. Couldn't quite
    figure the 100m reference... seemd far to close to me on reflecting the
    force of that wave, but had no data to know for sure. Was I arguing? I
    hadn't thought so. Just trying to get the big picture. But I found I
    had to drag out the information and it was kicking and screaming the
    whole way, and with such tenacity that if that alone meant survival,
    then no problem.