Re: So what's so good in a legume?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Neryl Chyphes, Apr 17, 2006.

  1. "David R. Throop" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > Over in sci.life-extension <[email protected]>, Doug Skrecky
    > <[email protected]> posts an article about how legume
    > consumption is the best predictor (of the foodgroups studied) of
    > survival in the elderly.
    >
    > Peas? Peanuts? I hardly eat them any more. They are starchier than
    > I like. I'm trying to keep my carbs low, and I don't think of the
    > legumes of having much of anything in the way of phytonutrients. So
    > where's the benefit coming from?
    >
    > David Throop

    Peanuts != legumes. Legumes = complex carbs maybe 90%, protein, low fat,
    fibre, iron. Flavour when you know how to cook...

    The combination of essential amino acids complements what is in grains.
    So, beans plus grain = one combination that works for proteins.

    My private theory is that legume eaters are people who know how to cook,
    hence their health is because they understand dietary choice and food
    preparation. The natural things that go with legumes in terms of flavour
    are also good for you, especially with legumes.

    [Soaking legumes also provides reflection time].

    N.

    Tags:

  2. W. Baker

    W. Baker Guest

    In alt.support.diabetes Neryl Chyphes <[email protected]> wrote:

    : "David R. Throop" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    : > Over in sci.life-extension <[email protected]>, Doug Skrecky
    : > <[email protected]> posts an article about how legume
    : > consumption is the best predictor (of the foodgroups studied) of
    : > survival in the elderly.
    : >
    : > Peas? Peanuts? I hardly eat them any more. They are starchier than
    : > I like. I'm trying to keep my carbs low, and I don't think of the
    : > legumes of having much of anything in the way of phytonutrients. So
    : > where's the benefit coming from?
    : >
    : > David Throop

    : Peanuts != legumes. Legumes = complex carbs maybe 90%, protein, low fat,
    : fibre, iron. Flavour when you know how to cook...

    : The combination of essential amino acids complements what is in grains.
    : So, beans plus grain = one combination that works for proteins.

    : My private theory is that legume eaters are people who know how to cook,
    : hence their health is because they understand dietary choice and food
    : preparation. The natural things that go with legumes in terms of flavour
    : are also good for you, especially with legumes.

    : [Soaking legumes also provides reflection time].-Not for me. I use it
    as sleep time:)

    I had kind of abandoned legumes , except peanuts in the form od a little
    peanut butter on a wasa cracker for a snack, until recently, after reading
    on this group.

    I have started to eat lentil soup agian, but I now prepare it a bit
    differently than I used to. I use about half the lentils I used to and
    find that in moderate (not tiny) portions, it does not spike me, so I can
    encorporate it into my diet. I often have a cup of it at a local
    restarant which makes it vey well adn doesn't artificially thicken it with
    carby stoff, as they do their slit pea soup. I will have this with a
    bunless freshly cooked , real hamburger or turkeyburget, lettice and
    onion, to make a very satisfying meal that doesn't spike me.

    A large serving of legumes, mostly alone 9but in a tasty sauce0 I cannot
    manage, but a spoonfu or so along with my meal works fine. I should
    experiment with low bean chili recipes as I do miss that:) Again, as I
    have said so many times before, we are not on diets here, but on a
    lifetime eating plan and to totally do without a liked food makes it more
    likely tht we will have a breakdown and eat too much, so I try to find a
    way to encorporate thee things into my WOE adn recipe bag.

    Wendy

  3. Juhana Harju

    Juhana Harju Guest

    Neryl Chyphes wrote:

    : [Soaking legumes also provides reflection time].

    Do you watch them soak?

    --
    Juhana

  4. Julie Bove

    Julie Bove Guest

    "W. Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I had kind of abandoned legumes , except peanuts in the form od a little
    > peanut butter on a wasa cracker for a snack, until recently, after reading
    > on this group.
    >
    > I have started to eat lentil soup agian, but I now prepare it a bit
    > differently than I used to. I use about half the lentils I used to and
    > find that in moderate (not tiny) portions, it does not spike me, so I can
    > encorporate it into my diet. I often have a cup of it at a local
    > restarant which makes it vey well adn doesn't artificially thicken it with
    > carby stoff, as they do their slit pea soup. I will have this with a
    > bunless freshly cooked , real hamburger or turkeyburget, lettice and
    > onion, to make a very satisfying meal that doesn't spike me.
    >
    > A large serving of legumes, mostly alone 9but in a tasty sauce0 I cannot
    > manage, but a spoonfu or so along with my meal works fine. I should
    > experiment with low bean chili recipes as I do miss that:) Again, as I
    > have said so many times before, we are not on diets here, but on a
    > lifetime eating plan and to totally do without a liked food makes it more
    > likely tht we will have a breakdown and eat too much, so I try to find a
    > way to encorporate thee things into my WOE adn recipe bag.

    When I make chili, I add lots of onions, peppers and celery. I also add
    meat sometimes. Last night I made Spanish rice using corn, ground beef (you
    could use other meats), chilies, green pepper, lots of onion, tomato and
    salsa, some kidney beans and a little bit of rice. And for Easter, I made
    baked beans in the crockpot. I soaked some navy beans overnight them put
    them in the crockpot with a TON of chopped onion that had been caramelized
    first in a skillet with some olive oil. This part is the trick. They add
    bulk to the dish so you use less beans and they also make it very sweet. I
    then added a bit of mustard, some low carb ketchup, a bit of molasses, some
    salt and a ton of black pepper. You could also add green pepper but I didn't
    because my parents can't eat it. I had this as my main source of protein
    and carbs for the meal along with a green salad. BG was fine after eating
    it.

    --
    See my webpage:

  5. "Juhana Harju" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > Neryl Chyphes wrote:
    >
    > : [Soaking legumes also provides reflection time].
    >
    > Do you watch them soak?

    Watch AND listen!

    :)

  6. Michelle

    Michelle Guest

    W. Baker wrote:

    > I had kind of abandoned legumes , except peanuts in the form od a little
    > peanut butter on a wasa cracker for a snack, until recently, after reading
    > on this group.
    >
    > I have started to eat lentil soup agian, but I now prepare it a bit
    > differently than I used to. I use about half the lentils I used to and
    > find that in moderate (not tiny) portions, it does not spike me, so I can
    > encorporate it into my diet. I often have a cup of it at a local
    > restarant which makes it vey well adn doesn't artificially thicken it with
    > carby stoff, as they do their slit pea soup. I will have this with a
    > bunless freshly cooked , real hamburger or turkeyburget, lettice and
    > onion, to make a very satisfying meal that doesn't spike me.
    >
    > A large serving of legumes, mostly alone 9but in a tasty sauce0 I cannot
    > manage, but a spoonfu or so along with my meal works fine. I should
    > experiment with low bean chili recipes as I do miss that:) Again, as I
    > have said so many times before, we are not on diets here, but on a
    > lifetime eating plan and to totally do without a liked food makes it more
    > likely tht we will have a breakdown and eat too much, so I try to find a
    > way to encorporate thee things into my WOE adn recipe bag.
    >
    > Wendy

    It seems so many on the newsgroup have trouble with legumes, and I
    count myself lucky that *so far* I don't. My one hour pp BS is always
    <110 after beans or lentils. I can eat beans and squelch those
    cravings for bread.

    Michelle T2

  7. W. Baker

    W. Baker Guest

    In alt.support.diabetes Michelle <[email protected]> wrote:

    : W. Baker wrote:
    : >
[...]

    What is the size of your serving? Are the beans or legumes the main
    course?

    Wendy

  8. Michelle

    Michelle Guest

    W. Baker wrote:

    > : It seems so many on the newsgroup have trouble with legumes, and I
    > : count myself lucky that *so far* I don't. My one hour pp BS is always
    > : <110 after beans or lentils. I can eat beans and squelch those
    > : cravings for bread.
    >
    > : Michelle T2
    >
    > What is the size of your serving? Are the beans or legumes the main
    > course?
    >
    > Wendy

    Hi Wendy,

    Usually I have about 1/2 cup of refried beans (homemade) for breakfast
    along with some form of protein--usually grilled chicken strips or half
    a turkey burger patty. That meal always gives me a reading under 110.

    For lunch today, I had 1 1/2 cups of black bean salad that had some
    corn in it. I probably overdid the amount a bit, but my 1 hour pp
    reading was still 126. That reading is higher than I like, but I do
    have a few meals that push me up that far.

    I don't eat any of the already canned beans. I buy the dried beans,
    soak them for three days changing the water out every 12 hours (to try
    to alleviate some of their more annoying side effects), then slow cook
    them in the crockpot. I can't imagine that this makes my beans any
    more carb friendly than the canned ones. I do it to eliminate the
    extra salt present in canned beans.

    Michelle T2