Re: So what's so good in a legume?

Mr. Natural-Health

Guest
David R. Throop wrote:

> Over in sci.life-extension <[email protected]>, Doug Skrecky
> <[email protected]> posts an article about how legume
> consumption is the best predictor (of the foodgroups studied) of
> survival in the elderly.
>
> >smoking. Legumes have been associated with long-lived food cultures such
> >as the Japanese (soy, tofu, natto, miso), the Swedes (brown beans, peas),
> >and the Mediterranean people (lentils, chickpeas, white beans).

As usual, the kooks in smn don't have a clue as to what they are
talking about. Nor, can you, I bet, rationalize correctly why a
Low-Carb diet is important. Hint, it is not!!!

The above quote from your above studies answers your question.
Perhaps, you could try reading once in a while?

Eating a Mediterranean style diet greatly improves longevity, according
to numerous research studies. Legumes are known as the fourth food
group in the Mediterranean diet: Fruit, Vegetables, Whole-Grains, and
Legumes.

Legumes in the Mediterranean style diet is roughly the equivalent of
soy in the Japanese or Okinawian diet.

There is no single factor in legumes that would account for all of
their health benefits. But, the Okinawian diet classifies legumes under
their Flavonoid Food Group. So, flavonoids would certainly be one
major class of nutrients that are food in legumes. Onions and green
tea, besides soy, provides a lot of flavonoids.
--
John Gohde,
Achieving good Nutrition is an Art, NOT a Science!

The nutrition of eating a healthy diet is a biological factor of the
mind-body connection. Now, weighing in at 18 web pages, the
Nutrition of a Healthy Diet is with more documentation and
sharper terminology than ever before.
http://naturalhealthperspective.com/food/

In article <[email protected]>,
Mr. Natural-Health <[email protected]> wrote:
>As usual, the kooks in smn don't have a clue as to what they are
>talking about. Nor, can you, I bet, rationalize correctly why a
>Low-Carb diet is important. Hint, it is not!!!

plonk

Mr. Natural-Health wrote:
> David R. Throop wrote:
>
> > Over in sci.life-extension <[email protected]>, Doug Skrecky
> > <[email protected]> posts an article about how legume
> > consumption is the best predictor (of the foodgroups studied) of
> > survival in the elderly.
> >
> > >smoking. Legumes have been associated with long-lived food cultures such
> > >as the Japanese (soy, tofu, natto, miso), the Swedes (brown beans, peas),
> > >and the Mediterranean people (lentils, chickpeas, white beans).

> As usual, the kooks in smn don't have a clue as to what they are
> talking about. Nor, can you, I bet, rationalize correctly why a
> Low-Carb diet is important. Hint, it is not!!!
>
> The above quote from your above studies answers your question.
> Perhaps, you could try reading once in a while?
>
> Eating a Mediterranean style diet greatly improves longevity, according
> to numerous research studies. Legumes are known as the fourth food
> group in the Mediterranean diet: Fruit, Vegetables, Whole-Grains, and
> Legumes.
>
> Legumes in the Mediterranean style diet is roughly the equivalent of
> soy in the Japanese or Okinawian diet.
>
> There is no single factor in legumes that would account for all of
> their health benefits. But, the Okinawian diet classifies legumes under
> their Flavonoid Food Group. So, flavonoids would certainly be one
> major class of nutrients that are food in legumes. Onions and green
> tea, besides soy, provides a lot of flavonoids.
> --
> John Gohde,
> Achieving good Nutrition is an Art, NOT a Science!
>
> The nutrition of eating a healthy diet is a biological factor of the
> mind-body connection. Now, weighing in at 18 web pages, the
> Nutrition of a Healthy Diet is with more documentation and
> sharper terminology than ever before.
> http://naturalhealthperspective.com/food/

We couldn't find any results containing diabetes
site:http://naturalhealthperspective.com.

A low carb diet is extremely helpful for diabetes, prediabetes, and
metabolic syndrome.
High carbs be they "simple or complexed" cause arterial damages to the
body's major organs: lungs, kidney,skin, heart. etc. I love legumes,
but I must keep them to a minimum. Legumes are healthy. The
Mediterrean countries also have many diabetes.

Kit wrote:

> We couldn't find any results containing diabetes
> site:http://naturalhealthperspective.com.
>
> A low carb diet is extremely helpful for diabetes, prediabetes, and
> metabolic syndrome.
> High carbs be they "simple or complexed" cause arterial damages to the
> body's major organs: lungs, kidney,skin, heart. etc. I love legumes,
> but I must keep them to a minimum. Legumes are healthy. The
> Mediterrean countries also have many diabetes.

Legumes are also high in fiber. Some people have been educated to deduct
more than 5 grams of dietary fiber per serving from total carbs of a
food. Last endo counselled adding legumes to the food plan. We have one
or two small servings per week, using canned beans that have been
thoroughly rinsed in cold water, several times. We use chickpeas in
salads and I'll make a side dish with tomato & black beans. It doesn't
take a lot of legumes to make one feel full. Lentils are another dish we
like. I usually use the little red ones adding onions and a little
chicken broth flavoring to the cooking water. Again, small servings.
DH's meter likes them. YMMV.

--
-----------
Janet Wilder

Kit wrote:

> A low carb diet is extremely helpful for ... prediabetes, and metabolic syndrome.

I can directly refrute that statement even though I had a thread on
that topic which is barely a month old. :(

A high-carb Mediterranean-style diet is extremely helpful for
prediabetes and metabolic syndrome.

"We should all eat like a Mediterranean
9/22/2004"
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2004-09-21-mediterranean-usat_x.htm
"In a separate study in the same journal, researchers from the Second
University of Naples in Italy found that Mediterranean-style diets
helped patients with "metabolic syndrome," which increases the risk of
heart disease and diabetes and affects 1 in 4 American adults.

People with the syndrome are fat around the middle, have high blood
pressure and cholesterol deposits in their arteries, and do not
properly process glucose. After two years, 44% of those on the
Mediterranean diet still had features of metabolic syndrome, compared
with 86% of others.

This research confirms the results of earlier studies, experts say. A
previous study of heart-attack survivors showed that the mortality rate
was 70% lower among those who followed a prescribed Mediterranean diet
compared with people on a low-fat diet.

"The Mediterranean experience makes it clear that healthy eating is
completely consistent with wonderful eating," says Walter Willett,
chairman of nutrition at the Harvard School of Public Health.

Yet getting more Americans to adopt healthy living will be a challenge,
says Dario Giugliano, an author of the metabolic syndrome study.
Experts say only 1 in 5 Americans eat the recommended five to nine
servings of fruits and vegetables a day."

Esposito K, Marfella R, Ciotola M, et al.
Effect of a Mediterranean-style diet on endothelial dysfunction and
markers of vascular inflammation in the metabolic syndrome: a
randomized trial.
JAMA. 2004;292:1440-1446.

In order to view the full text and graphics of the following research
paper online for FREE, you must be Registered as a Guest at JAMA. In
the IE web browser, Java script must be turned on, and your privacy
setting must be set to Medium High or lower. Clicking on the following
hyperlinks will automatically prompt you to register at the Register
for FREE content hyperlink. Then simply enter both your user name and
password as if your were a subscriber to JAMA at the Sign In prompt so
you can access this research paper online for FREE at JAMA.
http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/292/12/1440

Of course, if you choose to continue to hide your head in the sand ...
--
John Gohde,
Achieving good Nutrition is an Art, NOT a Science!

The nutrition of eating a healthy diet is a biological factor of the
mind-body connection. Now, weighing in at 18 web pages, the
Nutrition of a Healthy Diet is with more documentation and
sharper terminology than ever before.
http://naturalhealthperspective.com/food/

Diabetes,prediabetes, and metabolic syndrome represent varying degrees
of a carbohydrate/metabolic dysfunction. Diabetes is an ancient
disease. Fortunately, science is just now beginning to offer management
insights and medications. Pardon the trite clique "make no mistake
about it",diabetes is a deadly and highly destructive disease that
requires constant carbohydrate control. A healthy diet is a point of
reference. Does the person have renal, celiac, diabetes,food allergies
etc.etc.? Hospitals have over 40 different basic diets. A frequently
used expression is your mileage may vary, but the basics of diabetes is
only that body's limited ability to metabolize carbohydrates . My
"naturally healthy" diet is not a universal given for everyone.

> There is no single factor in legumes that would account for all of
> their health benefits. But, the Okinawian diet classifies legumes under
> their Flavonoid Food Group. So, flavonoids would certainly be one
> major class of nutrients that are food in legumes. Onions and green
> tea, besides soy, provides a lot of flavonoids.

Upon further research, flavonoids could not possibly be the major
health factor since other food items contain significantly more
flavonoids. Legumes are near the bottom of the list of flavonoid
content. The biggies are soy, flaxseed, and arrowroot (used as a
starch to thicken gravy).

There is also very little research singling out the health benefits of
just legumes. So, I would say a particular type of fiber is the major
health benefit of eating legumes.
--
John Gohde,
Achieving good Nutrition is an Art, NOT a Science!

The nutrition of eating a healthy diet is a biological factor of the
mind-body connection. Now, weighing in at 18 web pages, the
Nutrition of a Healthy Diet is with more documentation and
sharper terminology than ever before.
http://naturalhealthperspective.com/food/

"Mr. Natural-Health" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>> There is no single factor in legumes that would account for all of
>> their health benefits. But, the Okinawian diet classifies legumes under
>> their Flavonoid Food Group. So, flavonoids would certainly be one
>> major class of nutrients that are food in legumes. Onions and green
>> tea, besides soy, provides a lot of flavonoids.

> Upon further research, flavonoids could not possibly be the major
> health factor since other food items contain significantly more
> flavonoids. Legumes are near the bottom of the list of flavonoid
> content. The biggies are soy, flaxseed, and arrowroot (used as a
> starch to thicken gravy).
>
> There is also very little research singling out the health benefits of
> just legumes. So, I would say a particular type of fiber is the major
> health benefit of eating legumes.

IF you are a vegetarian, which John Gohde-Ego-Machine isn't, then
a combination of whole grains, which he espouses (sensibly) as really
good stuff, and legumes, provides a good balance of essential amino
acids. Carbs will be fine (except for morons into low carb).

Add to that the iron content (which Monsewer IronyJustice would
fart Beethoven about), which just needs some tomato to free up, and
you can live healthily on the combination. IF you add some other
veg, and a bit of dairy or egg. Med diet? Well I guess so.

N.