UK and Europe · Public discussion

Re: So which 'safety' equipment do you cycle with?

Started by Andrew Chadwick · · Last activity · 1 post · 306 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
16 April 2007
Last activity
16 April 2007
Original author
Andrew Chadwick
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
306
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Paul - censored said:

    As subject line really ... Which, if any so called 'safety' equipment do you
    all cycle with?

    Working brakes, aluminium rims, BS6102/3-equivalent lamps front and
    rear, BS6102/2 rear reflector. Standlights on all dynamo lamps.

    My bikes are safety bicycles too, not ordinaries. Does that count?

    The fixie (*ahem* 's frame and headset *ahem*) was constructed in 1973,
    and doesn't need any pedal reflectors because of that. That's what I'm
    saying anyway. Frankly, I take advantage of the fact that the Cowley
    Road bike plod are going to be looking more carefully at wazzocks
    without lights[1] than me when I'm out on the tourer (fab 2004).

    Trouser clips and double-knotted shoelaces. Front mudguard breaker-
    offer. Lockrings that don't unscrew themselves over time.

    Trailer has two rear lamps of many candela, and colour-coded reflective
    tape on the boxes. I also wear high-vis more when I'm towing it, out of
    courtesy.

    Fleece gloves, hat and waterproof in inclement weather.

    So, a truly surprising amount really. I'm sure it must all have saved my
    life several times over. Some of it even has dings and notches.

    [1] Whose bikes make noises like "grakkagrakkagrakka" or "eeeekeeekeeek".
    They also don't wear helmuts much, but I suspect that's not because
    of familiarity with the literature or having carefully considered
    the pros and cons of the argument.
    --
    Andrew Chadwick

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.