Road Cycling · Public discussion

Re: "Social rider" beef

Started by Marty · · Last activity · 1 post · 455 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
30 May 2005
Last activity
30 May 2005
Original author
Marty
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
455
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. psycholist said:

    Yesterday I did about my bazillionth century ride. I'm 49 years old and
    I've done lots of centuries in my day.

    My local club put on this ride ... against my protestations because they
    scheduled it head-to-head with a very well-established century that's been
    going on not too many miles away. I thought it was rather rude to do that.

    The guy who volunteered to put on the ride had never done it before and is a
    fairly new rider. I coached him over the months leading up to the event
    about the things I've seen that make the difference between a good event and
    a bad event. He didn't listen. In fact, he committed what I told him would
    be the CARDINAL SIN. He marked the course poorly and got the riders lost.

    Well, I should qualify that. He got the fast riders lost. He personally
    rode out in front of the slow groups and stood at each turn to make sure
    those riders didn't miss anything. But I was in the front group and we'd
    blown by and missed his ridiculously inadequate markings long before he got
    out to try to direct traffic.

    So I sent him an e-mail after the fact to ask him what happened. He gave me
    the classic line that sets me off every single time ... "it was supposed to
    be a social ride, not a race ... the social riders didn't have any trouble."

    MAN that burns me up. Since when is there a speed limit on a road ride? We
    rode the first 20 miles with 25 guys at an average speed of 25 mph. It was
    no big deal. The road was flat. There was a slight tailwind. It was
    nothing. But he says he designed things with folks like him in mind ...
    folks who ride 15 mph. Well, this guys is about 6' 3" tall and is morbidly
    obese (at least by my definition)!

    So then he says, "if you'd asked at the rest stops, they'd have told you
    which way to go." So then I explained, "I don't stop at rest stops except
    maybe once in a 100 mile ride. Our entire lead group only made one stop.
    And, how do we stop at a rest stop if we're already off the course after 12
    miles?" Again, I got the, "if you weren't racing you'd have been able to
    see the marks."

    That's such [censored]. I'm so sick of "social" riders who act like you're doing
    something wrong just 'cuz you can, or you just like to, ride faster than
    they do. I never hear the fast riders complain about the "social" riders.
    But the "social" riders always feel compelled to tell the fast riders how
    they should ride.

    All you "social" riders reading this, please note the following:

    Quoted message said:

    Riding fast is not a sin. Riding fast does not mean racing. Riding fast
    is entirely relative. If there's a speed limit on a ride, post it ...
    otherwise, you ride the speed you want to and I'll ride the speed I want
    to. For me, the joy of riding an event like that is finding a good, fast
    paceline and then flying along in close formation. It's a special feeling
    that's probably the closest I'll ever come to flying with the Blue Angels.

    Quoted message said:

    Don't tell me why I should be riding. I always hear, "riding is supposed
    to be social." What makes you think the guys at the front don't
    socialize? Just 'cuz you can't imagine talking while riding at our pace,
    that doesn't mean we don't. And we're back in the parking lot hanging out
    and having a good time for a couple hours before y'all show up. AND, you
    can't imagine the bond that can form when a small group of complete
    strangers gets together on the road and forms a tight working group to
    bang out a good time for the ride. I've made many lasting friendships in
    that fellowship of effort.

    Quoted message said:

    Many of you have spouses that ride. Mine doesn't. I like to get my
    rides done and get back to do things with her.

    Quoted message said:

    Also, my life circumstances aren't the same as yours. I have a farm and
    all the chores I need to stay busy. I don't have all day to waste
    socializing on the road. If you do, that's fine. I don't. And that's
    fine, too.

    Quoted message said:

    I don't need to eat all the [censored] at all the rest stops to feel like I got
    my moneys worth on a ride. It's evident by appearances that many of you
    do. That's fine. I have peanut butter and cookies and bananas at home.
    Give me a way to fill my bottles at 80 miles and I'm good for the whole
    ride. But that's just me. But PLEASE ... recognize when the lead riders
    might reach those remote rest stops and have them up and manned when we
    arrive.

    Quoted message said:

    If you're gonna take responsibility to plan a century ride. Please
    recognize that your way of riding is not the only valid way of riding and
    that riding fast is not a sin. If you're gonna advertise a marked course,
    make sure it's well marked with large, clear markings placed well in
    advance of the turns/events they're marking.

    End of rant.

    I thought it was a reasonable rant. I have a similar problem with a guy
    that helps organise a canoe race. Well I call it a race and he calls it
    a social paddle.

    Marty

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.