Re: South West Uni Meets Up-date. Events in June

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by sarah.miller, May 23, 2004.

  1. sarah.miller

    sarah.miller Guest

    The South West Uni Meet web page

    http://www.uk.unicyclist.com/swum.html

    Has details of 2 uni events in the south west in June . They are
    - June 13th A muni ride at Haldon Forest. Meet at 2pm, lots of hills and
    mud.
    -June 20th A social ride along the Exe riverside cycle path, passing the
    skate park and stopping to eat ice creams when ever possible. Very easy
    terrain (unless you try out the skate park) from 1.5 miles upwards
    depending on how far you want to go. For this one the meeting point is
    St Davids Station, Exeter. At 9.45am with the ride heading off at 10am.
    The timing is try and pass the skate park before it is heaving with
    skaters and there no room left! There are a number of pubs along the
    river for lunch after or during the ride.

    Both these events are free to take part in. You are responsible for your
    own saftey during these events, if you can't do massive drops don't try
    them here:) . Please come along and enjoy a ride in the company of
    other unicyclists.

    Both these events are part of
    'bike week' (http://ww.bikewek.org.uk) , They are organised by Sarah
    Miller for South West uni meets.

    sarah

    --
    sarah.miller - unicycist
    sarah.miller's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1694

  2. sarah.miller

    sarah.miller Guest

  3. sarah.miller

    sarah.miller Guest

    Just one week till the Haldon Forest Muni ride , Just two weeks till the
    Ice Cream eating social ride.

    For thoise who can't decide which to do or want to know more about the
    terraiin read on.

    Muni ride- meet at 2pm at Bullers Hill Car park Haldon Forest.
    The routes both start with some down hill riding( on fire road for Route
    B), followed by some swoopy single track that is mainly down hill. Then
    there is a bit of a climb on fire road. Route A dives into tress for
    some up and downy single track and a down hill. Route B Takes a single
    track down hill to the meeting point of both routes. This is at a play
    spot with steps & logs and a stream to fall into. From here Route A goes
    and does some more gentle down hill followed by a challenging ride back
    to the car park. Route b will amble back up the single track and then
    climb on fire road to the car park.

    Ice Cream Eating Social Ride.- Meet at 9.45am outside St Davids Station
    (Exeter).
    This ride starts with a Very short section of road ride ( you could walk
    if you prefer) to get us away fromthe station and over the river. Then
    its a gentle ride on cycle path to the skatepark/Millers crossing chill
    zone. There are some slopes down from the path to the river and
    various large concrete steps and a mill stone. There is also a skate
    park, ride in there at your own risk, its not part of the ride but
    we'll stop next door! After the skate park we will continue to exe
    Bridges ( more ramps and BIG steps alongside the path) and regroup to
    ride over cricklepit bridge and the other mill leat bridge to the Quay
    for Ice creams.
    If you knackered by the Quay you could stop there, there are craft shops
    and pubs and the like and its only about a mile back to the station ( by
    the fastest route).
    OR you could continue down the river for another 2 miles to the Double
    Locks Pub for lunch. They do BBQ at the weekends and the beer is rather
    fine with a canal side garden ( and kids play ground). Thats where I
    plan on having lunch:)

    Sarah
    Hope to see lots of you join us for one or other of these rides, or
    both.
    check
    www.uk.unicyclist.com/swum.html
    for all the info.

    --
    sarah.miller - unicycist
    sarah.miller's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1694

  4. unicus

    unicus Guest

  5. treepotato

    treepotato Guest

    coming to both and can't wait!
    don't know which route to do though i love down and uphill but i've
    never done muni before really ...

    --
    treepotato - No brakes, No limits.........Felix

    Some unicycles can give nasty pedal bites.....i still have the scars to
    prove it
    treepotato's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3942

  6. thinuniking

    thinuniking Guest

    Well i thought it was this weekend but phew i did not miss it!:D
    Treepotato you will be fine.Muni is amazing might need to lower your
    tyre presure.Went out on the Muni 2night just down to the bus stop
    nothing crazy forgot how damn fast it was!
    Ben

    --
    thinuniking - U don't be playing me cracker!

    Suck my elbow
    thinuniking's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4294

  7. phil

    phil Guest

    W00t w00t, looking forward to both.

    If anyone wants to borrow a muni for the Haldon ride I have a spare
    which I can bring...

    Phil

    --
    phil - ex-studenty type

    "Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
    phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915

  8. thinuniking

    thinuniking Guest

  9. sarah.miller

    sarah.miller Guest

    treepotato wrote:
    > *
    > don't know which route to do though i love down and uphill but i've
    > never done muni before really ... *

    On the Muni ride-
    I'd recomend route B for those who havn't done much muni before. It
    misses out some of the more technicial step stuff but does all the best
    swoopy bits( is a tad shorter too).
    Sarah

    --
    sarah.miller - unicycist
    sarah.miller's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1694

  10. thinuniking

    thinuniking Guest

  11. thinuniking

    thinuniking Guest

  12. sarah.miller

    sarah.miller Guest

    This morning I poped up to Haldon for a quick ride.
    I did the B route ( with one slight change at the end that made it
    harder), was riding for 1 hour and 5 min did 4.88 miles. So I recon that
    with a group it wil take at least 2 hours and 8 minutes!

    The good news is that the boggy bits have nearly all dried up and some
    of the fire roads that were rutted have been bulldozed flat again. It
    was sooo hot today that riding in the woods was a GOOD thing, just wish
    the fire road up-hils had been shadier. On the whole ride I saw only two
    other people, both foresty workers. I aslso saw some really small blue
    butterflys and a little lizard of some kind, I heard lots of birds and I
    think I heard dear but I couldn't see them. The dear at Haldon are very
    dark coloured and really hard to spot amoung the trees. The foxgloves
    are in full flower too and they look fantastic in the clearcut sections.

    See you there on Sunday 2pm.

    Sarah

    --
    sarah.miller - unicycist
    sarah.miller's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1694

  13. thinuniking

    thinuniking Guest

    Bet the rain last night helped that dryness!Ahh well can't be as bad as
    last time can it!!!I like my shoes i don't want the forest to eat
    them.
    Ben

    --
    thinuniking - U don't be playing me cracker!

    I am heman with out the muscles or a cool sword
    thinuniking's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4294

  14. sarah.miller

    sarah.miller Guest

    There was nothiong left even remotly appproching the boggyness of the
    boggy boggy bit that ate your shoes. The stream still had water in, so
    you could still get wet if you tried.

    Sarah

    --
    sarah.miller - unicycist
    sarah.miller's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1694

  15. sarah.miller

    sarah.miller Guest

  16. keg

    keg Guest

    Sarah,

    I am considering popping down Sunday, as I'll only be 75 miles away the
    night before.

    What is the parking like? If I turn up I'll bring the 29", how many
    others are coming?

    Keith

    --
    keg
    keg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/212

  17. sarah.miller

    sarah.miller Guest

    Parking options

    Several, depending on how far you want to ride.

    Expensive - parking at the station car park
    Free- parking just over the river in exwick at a small car park at the
    start of the riverside path/park. ride about 0.25 mile to station.
    Also free- parking near the Double Locks pub on or off the end of
    grace road. then ride up the river path about 3 miles to the station.
    Small charge- park at Cathedral and quay multistory car park ( sign
    posted as parking for catherdral and quay!) about 1 mile to station by
    shortest route. This one is VERY handy for the quay if you only want to
    ride that far. Not bad as a in the middle car park for those who want to
    go a bit further.

    On street parking in central exeter is scarce, the trafic warrdens DO
    work sundays.

    Hope to see you there keg. There should be a least 5 of us around.

    Sarah

    --
    sarah.miller - unicycist
    sarah.miller's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1694

  18. treepotato

    treepotato Guest

    treepotato and her 29r will definalty be coming! we're gonna do the
    longer ride to the pub and probably come by train

    --
    treepotato - No brakes, No limits.........Felix

    Some unicycles can give nasty pedal bites.....i still have the scars to
    prove it
    treepotato's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3942

  19. just a vague idea: anyone fancy doing the wadebridge-padstow camel trail
    in cornwall sometime over the summer?

    more to the point, anyone fancy organising it?

    --
    theamazingmolio - A Unicylist, a juggler, and a prat

    Luke Duller ([email protected])
    Never trust anything you read on the internet
    [image: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albums/TheAmazingMolio/rolly.gif]
    theamazingmolio's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5931

  20. treepotato

    treepotato Guest

    > anyone fancy doing the wadebridge-padstow camel' trail in cornwall
    > sometime over the summer?

    yes please! havn't done any long distance on my 29r yet and really want
    to go on the camel trail but my parents won't take me and i can't go
    myself it would be great idea..... who's organising it then? :)