Re: South West Uni Meets Up-date. Events in June

sarah.miller

Guest
The South West Uni Meet web page

http://www.uk.unicyclist.com/swum.html

Has details of 2 uni events in the south west in June . They are
- June 13th A muni ride at Haldon Forest. Meet at 2pm, lots of hills and
mud.
-June 20th A social ride along the Exe riverside cycle path, passing the
skate park and stopping to eat ice creams when ever possible. Very easy
terrain (unless you try out the skate park) from 1.5 miles upwards
depending on how far you want to go. For this one the meeting point is
St Davids Station, Exeter. At 9.45am with the ride heading off at 10am.
The timing is try and pass the skate park before it is heaving with
skaters and there no room left! There are a number of pubs along the
river for lunch after or during the ride.

Both these events are free to take part in. You are responsible for your
own saftey during these events, if you can't do massive drops don't try
them here:) . Please come along and enjoy a ride in the company of
other unicyclists.

Both these events are part of
'bike week' (http://ww.bikewek.org.uk) , They are organised by Sarah
Miller for South West uni meets.

sarah

--
sarah.miller - unicycist
sarah.miller's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1694

Just one week till the Haldon Forest Muni ride , Just two weeks till the
Ice Cream eating social ride.

For thoise who can't decide which to do or want to know more about the
terraiin read on.

Muni ride- meet at 2pm at Bullers Hill Car park Haldon Forest.
The routes both start with some down hill riding( on fire road for Route
B), followed by some swoopy single track that is mainly down hill. Then
there is a bit of a climb on fire road. Route A dives into tress for
some up and downy single track and a down hill. Route B Takes a single
track down hill to the meeting point of both routes. This is at a play
spot with steps & logs and a stream to fall into. From here Route A goes
and does some more gentle down hill followed by a challenging ride back
to the car park. Route b will amble back up the single track and then
climb on fire road to the car park.

Ice Cream Eating Social Ride.- Meet at 9.45am outside St Davids Station
(Exeter).
This ride starts with a Very short section of road ride ( you could walk
if you prefer) to get us away fromthe station and over the river. Then
its a gentle ride on cycle path to the skatepark/Millers crossing chill
zone. There are some slopes down from the path to the river and
various large concrete steps and a mill stone. There is also a skate
park, ride in there at your own risk, its not part of the ride but
we'll stop next door! After the skate park we will continue to exe
Bridges ( more ramps and BIG steps alongside the path) and regroup to
ride over cricklepit bridge and the other mill leat bridge to the Quay
for Ice creams.
If you knackered by the Quay you could stop there, there are craft shops
and pubs and the like and its only about a mile back to the station ( by
the fastest route).
OR you could continue down the river for another 2 miles to the Double
Locks Pub for lunch. They do BBQ at the weekends and the beer is rather
fine with a canal side garden ( and kids play ground). Thats where I
plan on having lunch:)

Sarah
Hope to see lots of you join us for one or other of these rides, or
both.
check
www.uk.unicyclist.com/swum.html
for all the info.

--
sarah.miller - unicycist
sarah.miller's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1694

coming to both and can't wait!
don't know which route to do though i love down and uphill but i've
never done muni before really ...

--
treepotato - No brakes, No limits.........Felix

Some unicycles can give nasty pedal bites.....i still have the scars to
prove it
treepotato's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3942

Well i thought it was this weekend but phew i did not miss it!:D
Treepotato you will be fine.Muni is amazing might need to lower your
tyre presure.Went out on the Muni 2night just down to the bus stop
nothing crazy forgot how damn fast it was!
Ben

--
thinuniking - U don't be playing me cracker!

Suck my elbow
thinuniking's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4294

treepotato wrote:
> *
> don't know which route to do though i love down and uphill but i've
> never done muni before really ... *

On the Muni ride-
I'd recomend route B for those who havn't done much muni before. It
misses out some of the more technicial step stuff but does all the best
swoopy bits( is a tad shorter too).
Sarah

--
sarah.miller - unicycist
sarah.miller's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1694

This morning I poped up to Haldon for a quick ride.
I did the B route ( with one slight change at the end that made it
harder), was riding for 1 hour and 5 min did 4.88 miles. So I recon that
with a group it wil take at least 2 hours and 8 minutes!

The good news is that the boggy bits have nearly all dried up and some
of the fire roads that were rutted have been bulldozed flat again. It
was sooo hot today that riding in the woods was a GOOD thing, just wish
the fire road up-hils had been shadier. On the whole ride I saw only two
other people, both foresty workers. I aslso saw some really small blue
butterflys and a little lizard of some kind, I heard lots of birds and I
think I heard dear but I couldn't see them. The dear at Haldon are very
dark coloured and really hard to spot amoung the trees. The foxgloves
are in full flower too and they look fantastic in the clearcut sections.

See you there on Sunday 2pm.

Sarah

--
sarah.miller - unicycist
sarah.miller's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1694

Bet the rain last night helped that dryness!Ahh well can't be as bad as
last time can it!!!I like my shoes i don't want the forest to eat
them.
Ben

--
thinuniking - U don't be playing me cracker!

I am heman with out the muscles or a cool sword
thinuniking's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4294

Parking options

Several, depending on how far you want to ride.

Expensive - parking at the station car park
Free- parking just over the river in exwick at a small car park at the
start of the riverside path/park. ride about 0.25 mile to station.
Also free- parking near the Double Locks pub on or off the end of
grace road. then ride up the river path about 3 miles to the station.
Small charge- park at Cathedral and quay multistory car park ( sign
posted as parking for catherdral and quay!) about 1 mile to station by
shortest route. This one is VERY handy for the quay if you only want to
ride that far. Not bad as a in the middle car park for those who want to
go a bit further.

On street parking in central exeter is scarce, the trafic warrdens DO
work sundays.

Hope to see you there keg. There should be a least 5 of us around.

Sarah

--
sarah.miller - unicycist
sarah.miller's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1694

treepotato and her 29r will definalty be coming! we're gonna do the
longer ride to the pub and probably come by train

--
treepotato - No brakes, No limits.........Felix

Some unicycles can give nasty pedal bites.....i still have the scars to
prove it
treepotato's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3942

just a vague idea: anyone fancy doing the wadebridge-padstow camel trail
in cornwall sometime over the summer?

more to the point, anyone fancy organising it?

--
theamazingmolio - A Unicylist, a juggler, and a prat

Luke Duller ([email protected])
Never trust anything you read on the internet
[image: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albums/TheAmazingMolio/rolly.gif]
theamazingmolio's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5931

> anyone fancy doing the wadebridge-padstow camel' trail in cornwall
> sometime over the summer?

yes please! havn't done any long distance on my 29r yet and really want
to go on the camel trail but my parents won't take me and i can't go
myself it would be great idea..... who's organising it then? :)