Re: South West Uni Meets Up-date. Events in June

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by sarah.miller, May 23, 2004.

  1. umm... not me!:p cos i live in oxford. but my gran lives in wadebridge
    and i'd like to go sometime. 29er? i'm still riding a 20" but i hope to
    change that fairly soon...

    You were the first one to reply, maybe you should organise it:D

    --
    theamazingmolio - A Unicylist, a juggler, and a prat

    Luke Duller ([email protected])
    Never trust anything you read on the internet
    [image: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albums/TheAmazingMolio/rolly.gif]
    theamazingmolio's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5931

  2. phil

    phil Guest

    I'll be there on sunday, armed with the 29er. I'm planning to start from
    the fabled free car park in Exwick, so if anyone else is starting from
    there we could meet there. (Unless you happen to be driving past Yeovil,
    keg? :))

    How far is the Turf Inn from there? I haven't been there in
    aaaaaaggggeeeessss, and it must only be a few miles down the river...

    A 29er ride in Cornwall sounds good, but Wadebridge to Padstow doesn't
    look very far for 29ers...

    Phil

    --
    phil - ex-studenty type

    "Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
    phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915

  3. sarah.miller

    sarah.miller Guest

    treepotato wrote:
    > *
    >
    > yes please! havn't done any long distance on my 29r yet and really
    > want to go on the camel trail but my parents won't take me and i can't
    > go myself it would be great idea..... who's organising it then? :) *

    Not me, I'm a tad busy this summer. BUT if you want to call it a south
    west uni meet you can!
    Speaking of which. Those who are there on sunday bring your diary and
    we can try and work out when to have another sports hall uni meet in the
    autum. Need to get a move on with that one now to get insurance cover
    sorted n time.
    Also need a few volunteers to help run such a uni meet.
    Sarah

    --
    sarah.miller - unicycist
    sarah.miller's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1694

  4. joshs

    joshs Guest

    Doesn't look like I'm going to be able to make it, as I'm doing a night
    shift that night, so I plan to sleep through the day most of Sunday :(
    It's a real shame because I've worked real hard to get good enough to
    ride with you guys, and I reckon I'm just about good enough now, static
    mounting *most* times, riding everywhere and even going over the
    speedbumps on our road :D The only vital skill I lack is the ability to
    make sharp turns, I have a turning circle of about 20 metres at the
    moment :p

    --
    joshs

    Click _here_ to make a clicking noise...
    joshs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6794

  5. phil wrote:
    > *A 29er ride in Cornwall sounds good, but Wadebridge to Padstow
    > doesn't look very far for 29ers...
    > *

    not everyone's got a 29er though...
    you could always take something smaller

    --
    theamazingmolio - A Unicylist, a juggler, and a prat

    Luke Duller ([email protected])
    Never trust anything you read on the internet
    [image: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albums/TheAmazingMolio/rolly.gif]
    theamazingmolio's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5931

  6. phil

    phil Guest

    theamazingmolio wrote:
    > *not everyone's got a 29er though... you could always take something
    > smaller *

    Umm, err. I'd got it into my head that you said 29er. I'm not obsessed,
    honest guv'nor... :rolleyes:

    Phil

    --
    phil - ex-studenty type

    "Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
    phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915

  7. sarah.miller

    sarah.miller Guest

    If any one need map help with parking places for sundays social ride.

    There is pdf map downloadable from the SW uni meets web page for this
    event. http://www.uk.unicyclist.com/swum3.html

    On the map near St Davids Stataion you will find station rd. Where the
    green lines join Stataion rd is where the little ( I think free) car
    park is.
    Just off Western Way ( on the river side of the rd is the Catherdral and
    Quay car park ( 1.40 upk for all day on a sunday).

    I'm still on for lunch at the double locks BUT I need to head off and do
    other things by about 1pm.

    Sarah

    --
    sarah.miller - unicycist
    sarah.miller's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1694

  8. phil

    phil Guest

    Another good ride!

    Five attendees were present for much big-wheel (mostly) cruisin' along
    the river; Paul, Sarah, Treepotato, Keith and myself. 29ers were very
    much in evidence, with only Sarah riding a smaller 24" wheel and Paul
    using a skinny tyre, so much whooshing along was done.

    The path went past the skatepark but there didn't seem much point in
    investigating given the trials and street abilities of 29ers. We did
    however investigate the launching capabilities of ground level
    trampolines on Sarah's 24"; that was great fun. The hard bit is
    synchronising your jumps with the bouncing of the trampoline, and it's a
    rather strange feeling to be jumping that far in the air without really
    having to put much effort in!

    An ice-cream shop proved useful for a short stop under cover as water
    started falling from the sky, but thankfully it didn't last long and we
    were on our way again. Fortunately the rain held off until we got to our
    intended target for lunch, the Double Locks pub.

    After lunch we went our separate ways; with just Keith and myself making
    the return journey back to the car park. Half way back the rain started
    again, so the last bit was done somewhat faster and colder than the rest
    of the ride. Still, at least we weren't due to play cricket that
    afternoon... :p

    Even though we got a bit wet on the way back the timing could have been
    a lot worse... fifteen minutes after departing the heavens opened
    properly, and it absolutely flung it down! We'd have been thoroughly
    drenched if we'd still been out in that. We were quite fortunate in that
    other than the occasional flurry the weather was sunny.

    I've put the photos of the ride up on my website:
    http://tinyurl.com/33ngq

    Paul/Sarah: I got the lights, thanks. I don't think any of your
    neighbours called the police after seeing a random stranger walk into
    your house and depart with some of the contents... :)

    Phil

    --
    phil - ex-studenty type

    "Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
    phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915

  9. onlyonewheel

    onlyonewheel Guest

    Will any of you UK unicyclists be available to meet up with a couple of
    USA uni-tourists this week?

    My brother and I will be in London on Tuesday the 22nd from noon 'till
    night with NOTHING to do.

    We won't have uni's with us, but we'd love to go for a ride or just chat
    or go to a pub or whatever.

    We're also into geocaching and might go looking for a couple if we can't
    find anything better to do.

    We'll be staying the night in the Strand Palace Hotel, touring the next
    day, then taking the Chunnel to Paris.

    PM or [email protected] if you'd like to see what jet lag'll
    do to two kids straight from Hollywood (no joke, we literally live
    behind the Hollywood sign).

    Thanks.

    --
    onlyonewheel - uniform--the name of the game

    --Ryan Langton

    He was just doing the "yes, I have to wave at you or you're going to
    think we unicyclists are stuck up, but I know you view me as a trained
    monkey" wave. I know the wave. I've done it myself. --paco

    "the sex appeal comes from confidence, not a funny one wheeled bike
    thingy, unicycling makes a unicyclist happy, and happy people are
    attractive people." --evilewan

    "As others have pointed out, idling on a giraffe is actually easier than
    on a regular uni. The general public doesn't know this, so this
    enhancement comes with a reduction in difficulty." --Iunicycle

    "And I thought this hobby was for minimalists." --daino149

    "On a unicycle, you are the odd one out, the unexpected, the eccentric,
    the dangerous one... the onus is on you to deal with situations. You're
    used to it."--Mikefule

    "If it ain't a big wheel, it ain't a big deal." --Lewis W. Beard

    "Learn your lesson, NEVER ride on loose or creaking cranks." -- Roger
    Davies
    onlyonewheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/381

  10. keg

    keg Guest

    Hi,

    Riding back to the car park with Phil was the first time I could reply
    'He's on it' to the standard 'where's your other wheel?' comment. Only
    waited 7 years to say that...

    Enjoyable ride with the fluke of spotting the rain shadow uni photo
    opportunity just as we were leaving (see Phil's photo gallery).

    Onlyonewheel - you might want to start a new thread if you want to meet
    people in London tomorrow, of the riders who went on this trip I live ~1
    hour from London, all the others live a few hours drive away. Also which
    part of London?

    Keith

    --
    keg
    keg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/212

  11. markw

    markw Guest

    treepotato wrote:
    > *
    >
    > yes please! havn't done any long distance on my 29r yet and really
    > want to go on the camel trail but my parents won't take me and i can't
    > go myself it would be great idea..... who's organising it then? :) *

    I'll be in sunny(?) Cornwall last week of July/first week of August and
    I'll probably ride...

    Bodmin -> Wadebridge -> Padstow -> Wadebridge -> Bodmin -> Poley's
    Bridge -> Bodmin

    ...one of the days. It's about 40 miles. If anybody's interested in
    joining me for all or part of that, let me know and I'll set something
    up.

    BTW, the Wadebridge <-> Padstow section is the most picturesque.

    I'd use a Coker if I was on my own but I could bring the 29er if it's
    more sociable.

    Regards,
    Mark.

    --
    markw - Frustrated RSU Emailer
    markw's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5704

  12. sarah.miller

    sarah.miller Guest

    If you do it on August 4th, 5th or 6th I'll come too! Before then I'm
    at Unicon:)

    Also in the summer hols TreeP and I were going to try and find a day to
    ride the Plym valley trail. ( compleate with tunnel)

    Sarah