Re: Soymilk

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by sd, Feb 25, 2005.

  1. sd

    sd Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Here's my question. Is soy milk mucus producing, too? And, what
    > does it have to offer to compare to milk, nutrition wise? I imagine I
    > could look that part up myself. It kinda creeps me out how far away
    > the expiration date is, but that's me. A wimp. Any insights from you
    > guys about soy milk?

    I gave up on cow's milk in my house because I never could get
    through even a quart fast enough and always ended up throwing it
    down the drain. I've become used to soy milk and find the extended
    expiration date an advantage. Now cow's milk shows up in my house
    only when company does.

    Chocolate soy milk, as other folks have pointed out, is excellent --
    you'll never miss cow's milk chocolate milk. But you probably bought
    either "original" or "vanilla" flavor soy milk for your cereal.

    I found the original or vanilla flavors too sweet for some uses (for
    example, I'll cut mashed potatoes with soy milk, but I disliked
    using the sweet stuff). Silk sells an aseptic pack (on the grocery
    shelf) labeled "Unsweetened" that is perhaps a more-acquired taste,
    but far more useful in substituting for cow's milk, IMHO.

    sd

    Tags:

  2. On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 23:31:04 -0600, sd <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Here's my question. Is soy milk mucus producing, too? And, what
    >> does it have to offer to compare to milk, nutrition wise? I imagine I
    >> could look that part up myself. It kinda creeps me out how far away
    >> the expiration date is, but that's me. A wimp. Any insights from you
    >> guys about soy milk?

    >I gave up on cow's milk in my house because I never could get
    >through even a quart fast enough and always ended up throwing it
    >down the drain. I've become used to soy milk and find the extended
    >expiration date an advantage. Now cow's milk shows up in my house
    >only when company does.

    I keep talking about ultrapasteurized dairy products here. They last
    forever. I love them. Simply Smart is one type of ultrapasteurized milk
    that's lower in fat but still tastes good. I also get ultrapasteurized
    cream and half and half. They never go bad on me, and I keep them for,
    easily, a month and a half.

    Not saying don't use soymilk, just saying it's possible to keep milk around
    for longer periods for cooking purposes (which is why we don't go through
    so much milk here).

    --
    Siobhan Perricone
    Humans wrote the bible,

  3. sd

    sd Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Siobhan Perricone <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I keep talking about ultrapasteurized dairy products here. They last
    > forever. I love them. Simply Smart is one type of ultrapasteurized milk
    > that's lower in fat but still tastes good. I also get ultrapasteurized
    > cream and half and half. They never go bad on me, and I keep them for,
    > easily, a month and a half.

    Thanks for the tip! I don't have an intolerance to lactose -- just
    an intolerance to spending good money on something I'll just have to
    throw out later.* I'll check out what is ultrapasteurized around
    here.

    sd

    * Excepting George Carlin's observation that "Flowers are the only
    thing that you buy...you bring them home...and they die...and you
    [don't] want your money back.