Re: Speed vs. need for helmet?

  • Thread starter Harry (Lincoln, Nebraska)
  • Start date



H

Harry (Lincoln, Nebraska)

Guest
As for me, I'll wear one. I was hit by a car in late May of this
year. I suffered no really bad injuries. ((Hurt wrist and strained
back)) Bike was a total loss though. The helmet did absolutely NO
good as I didn't hit the pavement.

Now, the DRIVERS insurance company made a HUGE deal out of what I was
wearing at the time. THEY wanted to know if I was wearing a helmet,
gloves, long pants, what kind of shoes. They basically climbed up my
butt with a microscope. Fortunately for me the Police Officer was a
FORMER bicycle cop that KNEW what would be coming from the insurance
company so he took photos and wrote down all that I had on and the
damage to the bike and myself.

Best thing that happened was the fact that the person that hit me LEFT
THE SCENE and had to be located, cited AND arrested.

That's just ONE incident where I was glad to have the "lid" on!!!!!
 
"Harry (Lincoln, Nebraska)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> As for me, I'll wear one. I was hit by a car in late May of this
> year. I suffered no really bad injuries. ((Hurt wrist and strained
> back)) Bike was a total loss though. The helmet did absolutely NO
> good as I didn't hit the pavement.
>
> Now, the DRIVERS insurance company made a HUGE deal out of what I was
> wearing at the time. THEY wanted to know if I was wearing a helmet,
> gloves, long pants, what kind of shoes.


What were they looking for in term so of long pants and shoes? If you had
been wearing shorts, would they have made an issue of that?
 
Yes, I think that they would have made an issue out of shorts.
Fortunately, I was on the way to work and was wearing long pants at
the time. As for the shoe thing I had on my high-top shoes. Maybe
they figured that was enough.

Actually I think they were just looking for any excuse to prolong
things. Took them four months to come and take photos of the damaged
bike.

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 18:49:03 -0500, "Roger Zoul"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>
>"Harry (Lincoln, Nebraska)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> As for me, I'll wear one. I was hit by a car in late May of this
>> year. I suffered no really bad injuries. ((Hurt wrist and strained
>> back)) Bike was a total loss though. The helmet did absolutely NO
>> good as I didn't hit the pavement.
>>
>> Now, the DRIVERS insurance company made a HUGE deal out of what I was
>> wearing at the time. THEY wanted to know if I was wearing a helmet,
>> gloves, long pants, what kind of shoes.

>
>What were they looking for in term so of long pants and shoes? If you had
>been wearing shorts, would they have made an issue of that?
>
 
Harry (Lincoln, Nebraska) wrote:
> Yes, I think that they would have made an issue out of shorts.
> Fortunately, I was on the way to work and was wearing long pants at
> the time. As for the shoe thing I had on my high-top shoes. Maybe
> they figured that was enough.
>
> Actually I think they were just looking for any excuse to prolong
> things. Took them four months to come and take photos of the damaged
> bike.


I think your second paragraph hits it on the nail...

In the UK it's been common for insurance companies to go for the
contributory negligence front, but that's really just a bit of delay and
bluster, both of which it makes sense for them to do. There are no
actual cases in the UK where contributory negligence has been agreed in
court, and in the UK the Cyclists' Defence Fund is well aware of that,
and works very hard to make sure it remains the case.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net [email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/
 
On Mon, 03 Dec, Harry (Lincoln, Nebraska) <> wrote:

> Now, the DRIVERS insurance company made a HUGE deal out of what I was
> wearing at the time. THEY wanted to know if I was wearing a helmet,


The use of a helmet as PPE for fending of insurance company weasel
lawyers is probably the only rational reason for wearing one for
routine road riding. I used to wear one for just that that reason,
but fortunately the UK courts do not seem to be believing the
contributory negligence line wrt helmets, so I've stopped wearing it.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
|/ \|
 
Harry (Lincoln, Nebraska) wrote:
> As for me, I'll wear one. I was hit by a car in late May of this
> year. I suffered no really bad injuries. ((Hurt wrist and strained
> back)) Bike was a total loss though. The helmet did absolutely NO
> good as I didn't hit the pavement.
>
> Now, the DRIVERS insurance company made a HUGE deal out of what I was
> wearing at the time. THEY wanted to know if I was wearing a helmet,
> gloves, long pants, what kind of shoes. They basically climbed up my
> butt with a microscope. Fortunately for me the Police Officer was a
> FORMER bicycle cop that KNEW what would be coming from the insurance
> company so he took photos and wrote down all that I had on and the
> damage to the bike and myself....


My point exactly on why one should wear a bicycle foam hat in the US -
land of uneducated and emotional jurors (a reflection of the general
population).

--
Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter
 
In message <[email protected]>
"Harry (Lincoln, Nebraska)" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> But here in Nebraska a bicycle has
> the right of way in almost EVERY situation. Exceptions being when you
> are riding in traffic lans. There you must obey the same laws that a
> car has to.


wow!

Thanks for lettind us know; pity Bush doesn't lead with this in his
Bali talks.

Must make Nebraska a boom cycling town and vacation attraction.



--
Charles
Brompton P6R-Plus; CarryFreedom -YL, in Motspur Park
LCC; CTC.
 
Harry (Lincoln, Nebraska) wrote:

> any impact at a higher speed and I am sure that injuries sustained
> would have been much greater. THAT'S why I CHOOSE to wear a helmet.


Though rates of serious head injury don't go down as helmet wearing
rates go up. You may be sure, but the Real World isn't. I used to wear
one for the same reasons you give above, but not since I read up on what
actually happens, as opposed to what I was sure /ought/ to.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net [email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/
 
Yeah right...>>SARCASM<< From here, if you drive for 2 hours....you
STILL have 2 hours to go before you get anywhere decent enough to be
called a vacation. And I am sure there are those that disagree.

But we DO have an amazing bicycle path system in this town.


On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 07:22:57 GMT, [email protected]m wrote:

>In message <[email protected]>
> "Harry (Lincoln, Nebraska)" <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>
>> But here in Nebraska a bicycle has
>> the right of way in almost EVERY situation. Exceptions being when you
>> are riding in traffic lans. There you must obey the same laws that a
>> car has to.

>
> wow!
>
>Thanks for lettind us know; pity Bush doesn't lead with this in his
>Bali talks.
>
>Must make Nebraska a boom cycling town and vacation attraction.
 
Peter Clinch, Medical Physics IT Officer, wrote:
> Harry (Lincoln, Nebraska) wrote:
>
>> any impact at a higher speed and I am sure that injuries sustained
>> would have been much greater. THAT'S why I CHOOSE to wear a helmet.

>
> Though rates of serious head injury don't go down as helmet wearing
> rates go up. You may be sure, but the Real World isn't. I used to wear
> one for the same reasons you give above, but not since I read up on what
> actually happens, as opposed to what I was sure /ought/ to.


Damn it Pete, stop confusing the faith based community with fact based
reality!!! Sheesh!!!

--
Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter