Re: Starting Atkins 1-1-2005

Laureen

Guest
why are you waiting? Ya wanna stuff yourself for the holidays and have
even more to lose on 1-12005???
Laureen

Graphic Queen wrote:
> On 11 Dec 2004 08:38:55 -0800, "Laureen" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>why are you waiting? Ya wanna stuff yourself for the holidays and have
>>even more to lose on 1-12005???
>>Laureen

> What business is it of yours?

It's a reasonable question......

Graphic Queen wrote:
> Laureen wrote:
>
> > why are you waiting? Ya wanna stuff yourself for the holidays and

have
> > even more to lose on 1-12005???

> What business is it of yours?

You haven't used UseNet before, have you? Content you post on UseNet
becomes the business of anyone who choses to read it and respond to
it. By mentioning that you intended to start after the new year, you
made
it an open topic. I'm glad to read that you have already started, good
job.

If you're going to succeed, it's a good idea to find out what has
worked
and what has failed for others. That's what support groups can do.
And
you don't seem to have figured that out yet.

Consider in your other thread where someone asked by people seem
to think that everyone is alike. It completely misses the point that
support groups can tell what has worked and what has failed for others.

Support needs to start with the law of averages and then move to the
specific as folks get to know the questioner. Folks tend to recommend
for what works for most people and to recommend against what fails
for most people. If you think you aren't most people on a specific
topic, okay. If you know you aren't most people on a specific topic,
great. But the only way to tell for sure is to try it and see. At
least
if folks point out that some approach fails a lot, you know you're
trying to buck a well known trend.

Buck trends all you like, but do try to get what support newsgorups
are about. The fact that you don't know about a trend doesn't mean
it hasn't happened to others. Consider: You've barely finished the
book and you started under a week ago and you're calling BS on
folks on the plan for 5 years. Do you think there's maybe a chance
that folks with years of personal experience you've read a dozen
other books on the topic you've corresponded with hundreds of
other folks just might know more about risks you're taking than
you do?

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 16:57:13 GMT, Graphic Queen <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 14 Dec 2004 08:11:25 -0800, "Doug Freyburger" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> Graphic Queen wrote:

>> have
>>>
>>> What business is it of yours?

>> You haven't used UseNet before, have you? Content you post on UseNet
>> becomes the business of anyone who choses to read it and respond to
>> it. By mentioning that you intended to start after the new year, you
>> made
>> it an open topic. I'm glad to read that you have already started, good
>> job.

> Actually I have been using Usenet since the early '80s, much before
> there was ever any WWW and all we had was Pine for our email. And I
> really have no idea if that person was in fact posting about what I
> had posted since they didn't quote anyone and of course showed that
> they have no Usenet etiquette.
>>
>> If you're going to succeed, it's a good idea to find out what has
>> worked
>> and what has failed for others. That's what support groups can do.
>> And
>> you don't seem to have figured that out yet.

> I see that you think you know me. You do not and please don't act as
> if you do. That shows you for a fool.
>>
>> Consider in your other thread where someone asked by people seem
>> to think that everyone is alike. It completely misses the point that
>> support groups can tell what has worked and what has failed for others.

> People still need to understand that everyone is different and that
> what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another and some
> people, such as myself, do have quite the self control and willpower.
> And because some don't doesn't mean that others are the same when it
> comes to that part.
>
> Thank you for your concern though. I really do appreciate it.
>
> <snipped other condescending attitudes>

If you have self control, have willpower, and apparently know yourself
much better than we do, in what way can we help you? You appear to have
everything you need to succeed and our collective knowledge appears not to
be needed by you.

--
Bob in CT

It's not the content, it's the tone. Compare these:

My suggestion is, first, not to wait until 1/1/2005 but start on, say,
12/10/2004. -- Ignoramus20242

why are you waiting? Ya wanna stuff yourself for the holidays and have
even more to lose on 1-12005??? -- Laureen

Which would you rather have directed to you?

In news:[email protected],
Doug Freyburger <[email protected]> stated

| Consider in your other thread where someone asked by people seem
| to think that everyone is alike. It completely misses the point that
| support groups can tell what has worked and what has failed for
| others.

Graphic Queen <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:22:17 GMT, "FOB" <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>
>>It's not the content, it's the tone. Compare these:
>>
>>My suggestion is, first, not to wait until 1/1/2005 but start on, say,
>>12/10/2004. -- Ignoramus20242
>>
>>why are you waiting? Ya wanna stuff yourself for the holidays and have
>>even more to lose on 1-12005??? -- Laureen
>>
>>Which would you rather have directed to you?

>It seems that a number of people here think that no matter how it is
>said that I should apparently just get on my knees and ask for their
>permission to do anything.

I think you are readin g too much into too little and reading every
post like it would be from a meaningful and intelligent person. I sure
you know that is a ridiculous concept for usenet.

this is a new group, you'll need some time to figure out who is worth
listening to and who is noise.

And sorry I don't buy the whole self control. If we all had self
control so easily most of life's problems would vanish. Most people
who have said they can do something or are doing somethign, or it is
so easy, change their tune or avoid the conversation when later they
couldn't see things through. It's a fairly universal trait in human
beings. We tend to fail. I'm thinking the cause might be lack of
perfection...something in that area.

There is useful information in the group and Atkins books are poorly
written and he simply didn't bother updating them with newer science.
FOr instance the 1999 version of his book doesn't recognize the
existence of the Glycemic Index and doesn't mention for the first 250
pages that fiber is a carbohydrate reduction--long after he completed
explaining all the phases of the diet and he only expends a fragment
of a sentence on it. Many people learn that from the cover of Atkin
Nutrional products and not from the doctor's books. He doesn't discuss
sugar alcohols and there is a lot of controversy there. You can learn
all of this from merely lurking here and not interacting at all. There
are always new people coming in and asking the same questions, so the
material gets rehashed regularly.

>>In news:[email protected],
>>Doug Freyburger <[email protected]> stated
>>
>>| Consider in your other thread where someone asked by people seem
>>| to think that everyone is alike. It completely misses the point that
>>| support groups can tell what has worked and what has failed for
>>| others.

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)
350/267/Dec-264/225
Atkins since Jan 12, 2004
Maint. not counting (CCLL=50-60)

Graphic Queen wrote:

> It seems that a number of people here think that no matter how it is
> said that I should apparently just get on my knees and ask for their
> permission to do anything.

Oh, for Christ's sake, this is a NG. Just ignore the people you don't
like and get on with it already. Admit it, you live for your tormentors.
:>)