Re: Still got a long way to go

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by [Not Responding], Dec 12, 2004.

  1. On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 14:22:29 GMT, "Rich"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >We may think that the principles of design for cyclists and the facts behind
    >cycle helmets are general knowledge, but they sure as hell ain't.
    >
    >Went to a meeting of cycling officers last week (I won't name it so that the
    >conspirators can't be identified) and two comments stuck in my mind:
    >
    >"I'd better wear a helmet then" (when informed that the ride would be mixing
    >with motor vehicles)

    When I come across this idea that you should wear a hat to protect you
    from cars, I always say like "wonderful, I've been waiting for a
    helmet that can do that; what make is it?"

    >and
    >
    >"I can't understand why all these cyclists insist on riding on the road when
    >there is a perfectly good shared use path"
    >
    >and these were cycling officers! No wonder it's such hard work campaigning
    >for cycling.

    Hope you did some educating.

    Not all cycling officers are alike. I'm sure that a great many have a
    great understanding of cycling but I know that some (most?) wear the
    title of "cycling officer" as a second hat along with their real work
    of highway engineer. The cycling officer in these LAs therefore is
    chosen by being least quick to step back rather than because of any
    knowledge about cycling.

    Tags:

  2. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 15:01:43 +0000 someone who may be " [Not
    Responding] " <[email protected]> wrote this:-

    >Not all cycling officers are alike. I'm sure that a great many have a
    >great understanding of cycling

    Even if they do they are often stuck amongst anti-cycling officials
    and councillors, such as those in Edinburgh behind the A90 cycle
    ban. In such circumstances they have to be very brave to speak out
    against such injustices.

    prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

  3. On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 16:32:30 +0000, David Hansen
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 15:01:43 +0000 someone who may be " [Not
    >Responding] " <[email protected]> wrote this:-
    >
    >>Not all cycling officers are alike. I'm sure that a great many have a
    >>great understanding of cycling

    >Even if they do they are often stuck amongst anti-cycling officials
    >and councillors, such as those in Edinburgh behind the A90 cycle
    >ban. In such circumstances they have to be very brave to speak out
    >against such injustices.

    And then there is democratic process to follow. I'd hope and am
    optomistic enough to expect a cycling officer or, indeed, highways
    officer to brief councillors on the downsides of such a ban. If the
    councillors then decide they still want the ban then it is the job of
    officers to get on and do it.

    I don't actually like having cycling officers when it comes to
    highways - negotiating and creating off road routes is different
    issue. If the "cycling officer" presents a case as to why a scheme is
    bad for cyclists it is easy to dismiss his brief with "well, it's his
    job to put the cyclists' view". I'd much rather work to see that
    cycling is understood as key part of the transport mix by all staff in
    the transport dept.

    Which is, in part, what I was doing last week when I was on the panel
    interviewing for a new Director of Planning and Transportation.

  4. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 16:45:04 +0000 someone who may be " [Not
    Responding] " <[email protected]> wrote this:-

    >>Even if they do they are often stuck amongst anti-cycling officials
    >>and councillors, such as those in Edinburgh behind the A90 cycle
    >>ban. In such circumstances they have to be very brave to speak out
    >>against such injustices.

    >I'd hope and am
    >optomistic enough to expect a cycling officer or, indeed, highways
    >officer to brief councillors on the downsides of such a ban.

    Your optimism is misplaced in this particular instance.

    prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

  5. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    David Hansen <[email protected]> writes:

    > Your optimism is misplaced in this particular instance.

    How constructive. You have a certain tendency to sound like our
    politicians whinging about the EU (yet vetoing on principle any
    serious attempt to improve it).

    He may be Not Responding, but at least he's doing something positive
    for cycling.

    --
    Nick Kew

  6. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 18:47:28 +0000 someone who may be
    [email protected] (Nick Kew) wrote this:-

    >> Your optimism is misplaced in this particular instance.

    >How constructive.

    It is an accurate comment regarding the particular official I was
    talking about. Huff and puff about it as much as you like, but it
    remains an accurate comment.

    >at least he's doing something positive for cycling.

    Opposing this ban and getting it reversed are an example of doing
    something for cycling.

    prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.