Re: Stop Recommending Low-Fat Diets! By Walter C Willett, MD, DrPH

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Matti Narkia, Nov 3, 2003.

  1. Matti Narkia

    Matti Narkia Guest

    Mon, 03 Nov 2003 13:35:21 GMT in article
    <[email protected]> Matti Narkia
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Excerpts from the article
    >
    >Concepts and Controversies on Diet: Stop Recommending Low-Fat Diets!
    >By Walter C Willett, MD, DrPH
    >http://www.countcarbs.com/research/stoprecommendinglowfat.htm
    >
    >written by Walter C Willett (Professor of Epidemiology and Nutrition
    >At Harvard School of Public Health
    >(http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/facres/wlltt.html) and Professor of
    >Medicine at Harvard Medical School
    >(http://www.channing.harvard.edu/willett.htm))
    >and published in September this year:

    The following articles are also worth reading, IMHO

    The Soft Science of Dietary Fat
    Gary Taubes
    Science, Vol 291, Number 5513, Mar 30, 2001 pp. 2536-2545
    Winner of the 2001 Science in Society Journalism Award
    http://www.jacquigingras.com/pdf/The Soft Science of Dietary Fat.pdf
    http://nasw.org/mem-maint/awards/The soft science.pdf
    http://www.countcarbs.com/research/softscience_part1.htm
    http://timinvermont.com/fat.htm

    What if It's All Been a Big Fat Lie?
    By Gary Taubes
    New York Times Magazine, July 7, 2002
    http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=1726
    http://www.countcarbs.com/research/whatif.htm
    http://atkins.com/Archive/2003/1/20-542932.html
    http://www.karlloren.com/diet/p116.htm

    --
    Matti Narkia

    Tags:

  2. This confirms my personal experience - going from low fat to moderate
    fat has improved my lipid profile, and I've lost weight. It's
    important to note Dr. Willett is in favor of "good" fats - unsaturated
    - eg olive oil, corn oil, etc but not butter or fats from red meats.
    For his plan see http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/pyramids.html