Re: STP (Seattle to Portland)

Doug

Guest
"William Higley, Sr." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Well I'm less than a week away from the Seattle to Portland ride. 200 miles
> in 2 days.
>
> I look forward to the Circus-like atmosphere of the ride. I'll be out there
> with about 8,000 other crazies.
>
> I hope we don't have anyone tacking the route this year, the weather is a
> bit better, and a few of the Lance wannabe's will get a clue.
>
> Drop me a line if you will be there. I'll be riding my Vision R-50.
>
> William Higley, Sr.
> Vision R-50
> RANS Rocket

I'll be there this year with my Micro - riding the STP in one day
(starting at 4:45am). My goal is to finish in 12 hours.

"Doug" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "William Higley, Sr." <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > Well I'm less than a week away from the Seattle to Portland ride. 200

miles
> > in 2 days.
> >
> > I look forward to the Circus-like atmosphere of the ride. I'll be out

there
> > with about 8,000 other crazies.
> >
> > I hope we don't have anyone tacking the route this year, the weather is

> > bit better, and a few of the Lance wannabe's will get a clue.
> >
> > Drop me a line if you will be there. I'll be riding my Vision R-50.
> >
> > William Higley, Sr.
> > Vision R-50
> > RANS Rocket

> I'll be there this year with my Micro - riding the STP in one day
> (starting at 4:45am). My goal is to finish in 12 hours.

Let me know how you do. I am saving myself til I turn 55 or 60, until I am
ready to commit to a one day ride. (Only three to eight years away.)

Best Wishes on your endeavors.

William Higley, Sr,
Vision R-50
RANS Rocket

"William Higley, Sr." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Best Wishes on your endeavors.
>
> William Higley, Sr,
> Vision R-50
> RANS Rocket

Bill, I can't recall seeing any suspended Visions on STP. My wife and
I did it in two days (overnighted in Vader) on our black Tour Easys.
We did it at a comfortable pace- starting each day at 6AM, we arrived
in Vader at 3PM Saturday, Portland at 12 noon Sunday.

Jeff

"Jeff Wills" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "William Higley, Sr." <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > Best Wishes on your endeavors.
> >
> > William Higley, Sr,
> > Vision R-50
> > RANS Rocket

> Bill, I can't recall seeing any suspended Visions on STP. My wife and
> I did it in two days (overnighted in Vader) on our black Tour Easys.
> We did it at a comfortable pace- starting each day at 6AM, we arrived
> in Vader at 3PM Saturday, Portland at 12 noon Sunday.
>
> Jeff

I started around 7AM on Saturday and rode into Winlock around 5PM. I got
started around 8AM on Sunday and made it to Portland around 3:30PM.

It seems that I am seeing more recumbents each year. It seems to me that I
always had a recumbent in my sight somewhere.

It was fun to have the uprights draft on the downhills. I led a few of them
down some of the hills at 40+mph. I don't normally speed that much, but it
was just plain fun to open up on the downhills.

This was one of my more enjoyable rides. No mechanical problems and no rain.
A little warmer than I like, but I survived. There are still a lot of idiots
on bikes out there. That is one of my pet complaints. I was particularly
impressed by the guy on his upright that fought his way to the head of the
line in downtown Portland. He barely missed getting his head runover by me
when he fell over. I suspect the large sucking sound I heard was caused by
his ego being suddenly deflated.

My next ride will be the RSVP (Ride from Seattle to Vancouver, BC and
Party). That's just around the corner.

Take Care.

William Higley, Sr.
Vision R-50
RANS Rocket

Quoth [email protected] (Jeff Wills):
| Bill, I can't recall seeing any suspended Visions on STP. My wife and
| I did it in two days (overnighted in Vader) on our black Tour Easys.
| We did it at a comfortable pace- starting each day at 6AM, we arrived
| in Vader at 3PM Saturday, Portland at 12 noon Sunday.

We weren't in on it, but ran into it on the way down to a Lake
Washington event - and we did see a couple black Tour Easys ride
past while we were stopped at 23rd. With fairings. And several
other recumbents, I thought maybe one in every two or three dozen
riders.

Donn

"William Higley, Sr." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> My next ride will be the RSVP (Ride from Seattle to Vancouver, BC and
> Party). That's just around the corner.
>
> Take Care.
>
> William Higley, Sr.

One of these days we'll do RSVP- but not this year. We're doing
Summit to Surf (http://www.summittosurf.org), then OBR
(http://www.oregonbicycleride.org/), then the Recumbent Retreat
(http://www.recumbentretreat.org/). Ah, the life of the recumbent
rider!