Re: Strapping MTB in center of truck bed?

Bonehenge wrote:
> Why do folks spend 20 minutes strapping a mountain bike upright, with
> bungies and web straps in the center of a truck bed, like it's a

250cc
> motorcycle? <G> I see this as a waste of 30-40 perfectly good
> minutes every time you g o ride.
>
> I just toss my bikes in the back and drive away, and that includes
> some NICE road and mountain bikes. The bikes don't get damaged. I

do
> have a rubber bed mat to keep things in place.
>
> I'm NOT talking about folks who use rack devices like Beddy Jo,

etc...
> to carry multiple bikes without them beating each other up. I mean
> ONE bike in a pickup.
>
> To each his own, but WHY? It's not like the fuel or oil is going to
> leak out! <G>

I will say that when I used to "just toss" my bike
in the back of the K10 with faulty suspension any
pothole would launch the bike into
the air reeeeall good like. And it would tend to
come down hard. Shattered an sti lever. I'm also
a firm believer that it's bad to lay the bike on its side
and hammer the pedal repeatedly. I'm thinking
of some particularly washboardy approach roads.
I agree that keeping one bike strapped upright is
a bit much, but it's good to lay it on somethiing soft
and strap it down with bungies. If only to prevent it
from flying out in a wreck.

Roberte