Re: Stripped crank arm

Dan Brussee

Guest
On Wed, 19 May 2004 21:32:07 GMT, "Steve" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Swapping out old-for-new rings last night, thought I had the Park crank
>extractor threaded on correctly to a vintage Suntour XC-Pro crank, felt the
>extractor "slip" while attempting to remove the crank.
>
>Bottom line is the crank threads are shot and while the crank isn't coming
>off right away, the bad news is the Park tool isn't getting the crank off
>right away either.
>
>So what's the accepted method for removing the crank ?. LBS "special tool",
>Sawzall the spindle ?.

One consideration and two ideas.

Basically, the crank is hosed, right? No harm in making it worse, eh?

Ive heard that people will do a bit of hard riding with a crank bolt
all but falling off. This should loosen the crank to the point it is
about to drop off too. The crank is boned now though since the flats
(assuming square tapers) are no longer...umm.. flat.

Ive taken a hacksaw and dremel to the crank near the spindle and
worked it till it popped free too. Takes a long time if you dont want
to damage the frame or spindle with the hacksaw blade. Much easier
going than trying to get through the spindle though.