Re: Stripped crank arm

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Pete Grey, May 20, 2004.

  1. Pete Grey

    Pete Grey Guest

    If you have *any* threads at all left, there's a pretty good solution.
    Your LBS will have a little tool, that has pilot that threads into the BB
    threads themselvles. Then, there's a piced that guides down into the
    threads, over the pilot, and allows you to easily remove the crank.
    With this tool, it's shocking how little threds you need to pull the crank.
    I got mine long ago, I think it's a QBP part, but I'm not sure. It's saved
    me several times, great investment, and I've seen them on the wall at most
    LBS'.

    -pete

    "Steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Swapping out old-for-new rings last night, thought I had the Park crank
    > extractor threaded on correctly to a vintage Suntour XC-Pro crank, felt

    the
    > extractor "slip" while attempting to remove the crank.
    >
    > Bottom line is the crank threads are shot and while the crank isn't coming
    > off right away, the bad news is the Park tool isn't getting the crank off
    > right away either.
    >
    > So what's the accepted method for removing the crank ?. LBS "special

    tool",