Re: Suffolk - big rise in people cycling to work

David Martin

Guest
Mr R@t (2.30zi) wrote:
> In Suffolk, 50% more people now cycle to work compared to five years ago,
> according to new research. The figure now stands at 23,000 compared to
> 15,532 in 2001.

> Since 2001, the council has invested £4million on new facilities including
> cycle lanes, tracks and road crossings. This has resulted in 27 miles worth
> of new tracks.

So the cyclists must be using existing capacity. A quick calculation
makes that a new cyclist for every 6 yards of new bike path. That
really would be very crowded if it is bike paths that make the
difference.

...d

David Martin wrote:

> So the cyclists must be using existing capacity. A quick calculation
> makes that a new cyclist for every 6 yards of new bike path. That
> really would be very crowded if it is bike paths that make the
> difference.

27 miles in a county the size of Suffolk is a drop in the ocean....

Most bike paths (with the exception of the lines painted on roads) are
virtually unuseable now as the Council has put in metal posts to try and
stop the mini motos....

IMO the *real* reason why more people cycle here is simply that there is
less heavy motor traffic (I expect the bulk of it filters onto the A12/A14)
and drivers (compared even to Essex or SE England) are actually surprisingly
well behaved when you get to the out of town areas and even in town things
aren't so bad.

I've even had van drivers / slow down and let me past on junctions.... there
are the odd few idiots but noticeably less than in Reading. The country
areas and even Ipswich are surprisingly quiet if you cycle away from peak
hours.

I expect it won't last long though as the same Council is dead set on
turning Ipswich in to a "city" and "gentrifying" the place with the
inevitable increase in traffic.

Alex
--
Mr R@T / General Lighting
Ipswich, Suffolk, Untied Kingdom

rola said the following on 29/09/2006 11:26:

> I've even had van drivers / slow down and let me past on junctions.... there
> are the odd few idiots but noticeably less than in Reading.

Must be something about Reading. Last weekend I drove from the West
Country to Leatherhead along the M4/M329/M3/M25. Everything was working
nicely, even the M25, but around Reading there was suddenly an awful lot
of silliness going on!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/