Not a bad write up by the tabloid's resident petrol head, certainly better than that Emma Parker Bowles who thinks that the roads are her own personal race track:
"21 gears...special shock absorber suspensions (sic) and a luxurious gel seat" Ugh.
But he wasn't put off the whole idea of cycling despite the ghastliness of the bike. A point us bike snobs should remember next time we discuss the merits of some newbie buying a £149 full sus halfords special.
"21 gears...special shock absorber suspensions (sic) and a luxurious gel seat" Ugh.
Quoted message said:
But he wasn't put off the whole idea of cycling despite the ghastliness of the bike. A point us bike snobs should remember next time we discuss the merits of some newbie buying a £149 full sus halfords special.
The article wasn't explicity or even intentionally anti-cycling, but I think it did more good for Halfords than for cycling. He gave the impression that it's necessarily hard work and impractical for covering serious distances, which I suppose it is if you're completely out of shape and on a bike with knobbly tyres that won't exceed 20mph even down a steep hill. It looks as though he went to Halfords who provided everything from the inappropriate bikes to the clothing to the misleading helmet advice in return for a puff in the article.
: The article wasn't explicity or even intentionally anti-cycling, but I : think it did more good for Halfords than for cycling. He gave the
I didn't read it that way at all. You and I might thing the bikes were in-apporiate, but he obviously thought they were much better than the ones he'd used in the past (and indeed, probably are).
You can't expect someone to go from no cycling at all to junking the car and cycling big miles. I think the article was as positive as could be hoped for really.
Arthur
-- Arthur Clune PGP/GPG Key: http://www.clune.org/pubkey.txt Don't get me wrong, perl is an OK operating system, but it lacks a lightweight scripting language -- Walter Dnes
You can't expect someone to go from no cycling at all to junking the car and cycling big miles. I think the article was as positive as could be hoped for really.
OTOH one might hope for a conclusion along the lines of: "It was hard going for us, but with more fitness and better equipment this cycling lark could have real possibilites."