Re: sunrise sunset timings

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simon Mason, Feb 7, 2005.

  1. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "jas0n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > when is it we get reasonably light mornings (7am'ish) and light nights
    > to at least say (6-7pm)?

    You can download this program. Set it to your location and the
    sunrise/sunset times appear on the top right display. You can also use the
    mouse to point to anywhere on the world map and the local sr-ss times will
    be displayed.

    http://www.dxatlas.com/Download.asp
    --
    Simon M.

    Tags:

  2. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 7/2/05 11:18 am, in article [email protected], "Simon
    Mason" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "jas0n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> when is it we get reasonably light mornings (7am'ish) and light nights
    >> to at least say (6-7pm)?

    > You can download this program. Set it to your location and the
    > sunrise/sunset times appear on the top right display. You can also use the
    > mouse to point to anywhere on the world map and the local sr-ss times will
    > be displayed.
    >
    > http://www.dxatlas.com/Download.asp

    I could download it but neither my mac not my linux box will do it.

    Instead point to www.heavens-above.com or www.weatherunderground.com

    ...d

  3. David Martin wrote:
    > On 7/2/05 11:18 am, in article [email protected], "Simon
    > Mason" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>"jas0n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]
    >>
    >>>when is it we get reasonably light mornings (7am'ish) and light nights
    >>>to at least say (6-7pm)?

    >>You can download this program. Set it to your location and the
    >>sunrise/sunset times appear on the top right display. You can also use the
    >>mouse to point to anywhere on the world map and the local sr-ss times will
    >>be displayed.
    >>
    >>http://www.dxatlas.com/Download.asp

    > I could download it but neither my mac not my linux box will do it.
    >
    > Instead point to www.heavens-above.com or www.weatherunderground.com

    The pdfs at:

    http://www.nao.rl.ac.uk/nao/online/

    are useful. They show the twilight times (astronomical and nautical) in
    addition to sunrise and sunset. Unfortunately they only have the charts
    for Cambridge and Herstmonceux in the UK.

    Colin

  4. Ziggi

    Ziggi Guest

    Simon Mason said the following on 07/02/2005 11:18:
    > "jas0n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>when is it we get reasonably light mornings (7am'ish) and light nights
    >>to at least say (6-7pm)?

    > You can download this program. Set it to your location and the
    > sunrise/sunset times appear on the top right display. You can also use the
    > mouse to point to anywhere on the world map and the local sr-ss times will
    > be displayed.
    >
    > http://www.dxatlas.com/Download.asp
    > --
    > Simon M.

    For those who use Firefox, the Forecast extension has options to display sunrise and sunset for
    any location you choose. It is a great little extension. http://forecastfox.mozdev.org/

    --
    Ufuk YILDIRIM
    yoruk at hotmail dot com

  5. Ziggi wrote:

    > For those who use Firefox, the Forecast extension has options to display
    > sunrise and sunset for any location you choose. It is a great little
    > extension. http://forecastfox.mozdev.org/

    Very nice! The link on that page seems incorrect, though. The
    actual link to the extension is

    ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/extensions/forecastfox/forecastfox-0.5.9-fx.xpi

    --
    jc

    Remove the -not from email

  6. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 7/2/05 4:21 pm, in article [email protected], "Ziggi"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > For those who use Firefox, the Forecast extension has options to display
    > sunrise and sunset for
    > any location you choose. It is a great little extension.
    > http://forecastfox.mozdev.org/

    It seems to be promoting telling you what the weather is like at the moment.
    Personally I just look out of the window.

    ...d

  7. David Martin wrote:
    > On 7/2/05 4:21 pm, in article [email protected], "Ziggi"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>For those who use Firefox, the Forecast extension has options to display
    >>sunrise and sunset for
    >>any location you choose. It is a great little extension.
    >>http://forecastfox.mozdev.org/

    > It seems to be promoting telling you what the weather is like at the moment.
    > Personally I just look out of the window.

    As well as windspeed (which I can't guess from indoors), it also shows
    tonight's and tomorrow's weather, and the tooltips can be customised to
    show wind direction, sunrise, sunset, temperature, humidity, visibility,
    UV index and more.

    Handy little gadget, I reckon.

    --
    jc

    Remove the -not from email

  8. Ziggi

    Ziggi Guest

    Jeremy Collins said the following on 07/02/2005 16:29:
    > Ziggi wrote:
    >
    >> For those who use Firefox, the Forecast extension has options to
    >> display sunrise and sunset for any location you choose. It is a great
    >> little extension. http://forecastfox.mozdev.org/

    > Very nice! The link on that page seems incorrect, though. The
    > actual link to the extension is
    >
    > ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/extensions/forecastfox/forecastfox-0.5.9-fx.xpi

    Sorry, that was the homepage for the extension. I would think their link would work. But
    anyways, it works great. :)

    --
    Ufuk YILDIRIM
    yoruk at hotmail dot com

  9. Ziggi

    Ziggi Guest

    David Martin said the following on 07/02/2005 16:30:
    > On 7/2/05 4:21 pm, in article [email protected], "Ziggi"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>For those who use Firefox, the Forecast extension has options to display
    >>sunrise and sunset for
    >>any location you choose. It is a great little extension.
    >>http://forecastfox.mozdev.org/

    > It seems to be promoting telling you what the weather is like at the moment.
    > Personally I just look out of the window.
    >
    > ...d

    I am using it currently, and it works great. Not only does ýt does tell you what the whether is
    like at the moment and for the next n days (1<n<9), but also it tells you the wind condition,
    sunrise and sunset, etc. All you need to do is to customise tooltips.

    --
    Ufuk YILDIRIM
    yoruk at hotmail dot com

  10. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 7/2/05 4:35 pm, in article [email protected],
    "Jeremy Collins" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > David Martin wrote:
    >> On 7/2/05 4:21 pm, in article [email protected], "Ziggi"
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >>> For those who use Firefox, the Forecast extension has options to display
    >>> sunrise and sunset for
    >>> any location you choose. It is a great little extension.
    >>> http://forecastfox.mozdev.org/

    >> It seems to be promoting telling you what the weather is like at the moment.
    >> Personally I just look out of the window.

    > As well as windspeed (which I can't guess from indoors),

    There are trees that wave in the wind.
    > it also shows
    > tonight's and tomorrow's weather,

    Very impressive. I normally can only find predictions of varying accuracy.

    > and the tooltips can be customised to
    > show wind direction,

    99:1 it's an Againsterly.

    > sunrise, sunset, temperature, humidity, visibility,
    > UV index and more.

    OK.. might be enough to persuade me to switch to firefox, if I can persuade
    it to import my Safari bookmark list.

    ...d

  11. Ziggi

    Ziggi Guest

    David Martin said the following on 07/02/2005 17:06:
    > On 7/2/05 4:35 pm, in article [email protected],
    > "Jeremy Collins" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>David Martin wrote:

    >>>It seems to be promoting telling you what the weather is like at the moment.
    >>>Personally I just look out of the window.

    >>As well as windspeed (which I can't guess from indoors),

    > There are trees that wave in the wind.
    >
    >>it also shows
    >>tonight's and tomorrow's weather,

    > Very impressive. I normally can only find predictions of varying accuracy.
    >

    >>and the tooltips can be customised to
    >>show wind direction,

    > 99:1 it's an Againsterly.
    >

    >>sunrise, sunset, temperature, humidity, visibility,
    >>UV index and more.

    > OK.. might be enough to persuade me to switch to firefox, if I can persuade
    > it to import my Safari bookmark list.
    >
    > ...d

    There is a way to convert your safari bookmarks to html and from there you can have your
    bookmarks in firefox.
    Check this --> http://www.neuro-tech.net/safari.cgi

    --
    Ufuk YILDIRIM
    yoruk at hotmail dot com

  12. Mike Causer

    Mike Causer Guest

    On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 11:27:49 +0000, David Martin wrote:

    > I could download it but neither my mac not my linux box will do it.

    Ah, pas de probleme. For your fine Leenuks box get a copy of Xephem,
    <http://www.clearskyinstitute.com/xephem/> -- also included on many
    distro CD/DVDs.

    Add your actual Lat & Long to ~/.xephem/Xephem thusly:
    XEphem.Elevation: 15.0 m
    XEphem.Lat: 52:15:40
    XEphem.Long: -0:19:40
    XEphem.Sitename: Burwell, England
    XEphem.TZName: GMT
    (or wherever your boat floats)

    and Robert is your mother's sister's childrens' father (alleged).

    Near the bottom right of the first window click "RT Clock" which is the
    default Step, and then select "Sunrise" or "Sunset" as you wish. Then
    select calendar entries as required.

    Mike

  13. Mark McNeill

    Mark McNeill Guest

    Response to Ziggi:
    > http://forecastfox.mozdev.org/

    Many thanks for this! Very useful - I'm playi^H^H^H configuring it right
    now.

    --
    Mark, UK.

    "Prejudice is never easy unless it can pass itself off for
    reason."

  14. Ziggi

    Ziggi Guest

    Mark McNeill said the following on 08/02/2005 20:40:
    > Response to Ziggi:
    >
    >>http://forecastfox.mozdev.org/
    >>

    > Many thanks for this! Very useful - I'm playi^H^H^H configuring it right
    > now.

    Glad to be of help :) It is one of the best extensions I have seen around.

    --
    Ufuk YILDIRIM
    yoruk at hotmail dot com

    "The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same
    good things for the first time." F. Nietzsche