Re: Supporting The Massechusetts Economy

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Dally, Sep 21, 2005.

  1. Dally

    Dally Guest

    David Cohen wrote:

    > "T" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >>David Cohen wrote:
    >>

    >>>To show there's no hard feelings, I ordered a product today from an very
    >>>old Massechusetts company.
    >>>
    >>>The Smith & Wesson Model 340, the tiny, ultralight, .357 magnum revolver
    >>>with a scandium alloy frame and titanium cylinder. Only 12 little ounces.

    >>I got the 360, myself;

    > Sweeeet :)
    >

    >>sometimes thumbing the hammer back is all you need. ;-)

    > Oh, that's ok, I'll skip that part. If I ever have to draw a firearm,
    > somebody's getting shot.

    May as well. You've gone to all that trouble.

    Dally

    Tags:

  2. David Cohen

    David Cohen Guest

    Dally wrote:
    > David Cohen wrote:

    > >>I got the 360, myself;

    > > Sweeeet :)
    > >
    > >>sometimes thumbing the hammer back is all you need. ;-)

    > > Oh, that's ok, I'll skip that part. If I ever have to draw a firearm,
    > > somebody's getting shot.

    > May as well. You've gone to all that trouble.

    I do cut you a lot of slack, as I realize your knowledge of the laws
    and tactics involving the use of deadly force is nil.

    On the street, the reason somebody's getting shot if I draw a firearm
    is that I would not draw the firearm unless and until I was legally
    justified in using it. To do so otherwise would be a violation of my
    concealed weapons permit, could be considered brandishment, which is a
    crime, and is usually a tactical error, as I don't want the bad guy(s)
    to know I'm armed until the little gun goes BANG.

    The situation in my own home is completely different. There I can
    legally assume anyone who has already committed a crime by breaking and
    entering is reasonably considered a threat of grave bodily harm or
    death.

    David

  3. Well I hope your guns give you dickless wonders a nice fat chubby.
    TBR

    White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
    H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
    "Anyone with degrees from Yale and Harvard is presumed to be intelligent,
    but George W. Bush has managed to overcome that presumption."

  4. Well I hope your guns give you dickless wonders a nice fat chubby.
    TBR

    White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
    H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
    "Anyone with degrees from Yale and Harvard is presumed to be intelligent,
    but George W. Bush has managed to overcome that presumption."

  5. Dally

    Dally Guest

    David Cohen wrote:

    > Dally wrote:
    >
    >>David Cohen wrote:

    >>>Oh, that's ok, I'll skip that part. If I ever have to draw a firearm,
    >>>somebody's getting shot.

    >>May as well. You've gone to all that trouble.

    > I do cut you a lot of slack, as I realize your knowledge of the laws
    > and tactics involving the use of deadly force is nil.

    I honestly appreciate that and read all the links you and Will send me
    to. I'm not fond of ignorance, especially in myself. It's one reason I
    like this place - I hang with people here who are somewhat (cough cough)
    different than the people I hang with in real life. So I learn different
    things.

    > On the street, the reason somebody's getting shot if I draw a firearm
    > is that I would not draw the firearm unless and until I was legally
    > justified in using it. To do so otherwise would be a violation of my
    > concealed weapons permit, could be considered brandishment, which is a
    > crime, and is usually a tactical error, as I don't want the bad guy(s)
    > to know I'm armed until the little gun goes BANG.

    That's not at all how I envisioned the scenario and it makes sense to
    me. I think I've told you about how I was offered a concealed weapons
    permit once - I was working for a detective agency out of Detroit. I
    declined it because I couldn't see a scenario where I'd use the weapon
    until they were close enough to wrench it away from me.

    But not TELLING them I had a weapon would make that scenario different.
    See, I always thought I'd TELL them first - a fair warning, a
    deterrent, my hysterical babbling... you see why.

    > The situation in my own home is completely different. There I can
    > legally assume anyone who has already committed a crime by breaking and
    > entering is reasonably considered a threat of grave bodily harm or
    > death.

    See, in my case someone breaking and entering is probably a kid sneaking
    in from a late night out or someone's boyfriend/girlfriend trying to get
    in for some nookie or maybe a teen-aged kid trying to steal a bike.
    Deadly force just isn't warranted at home.

    But maybe walking back to my car after a late night Red Sox game... or
    tomorrow's trip into The City to bring my poor sacrificial lamb of a
    husband to his lithotripsy at 5 AM... I wouldn't mind carrying in that
    situation.

    On an unrelated subject, do lithotripsies hurt for long afterwards? DH
    is chock full of kidney stones and they had to go in and grab out the
    ones in his ureter and gave him a stent for a couple of weeks - what fun
    and games - but now they're going in to blast away the ones in his other
    kidney before they start travelling. It's just one big party after
    another with those kidney stones!

    Dally

  6. Dally

    Dally Guest

    David Cohen wrote:

    > Dally wrote:
    >
    >>David Cohen wrote:

    >>>Oh, that's ok, I'll skip that part. If I ever have to draw a firearm,
    >>>somebody's getting shot.

    >>May as well. You've gone to all that trouble.

    > I do cut you a lot of slack, as I realize your knowledge of the laws
    > and tactics involving the use of deadly force is nil.

    I honestly appreciate that and read all the links you and Will send me
    to. I'm not fond of ignorance, especially in myself. It's one reason I
    like this place - I hang with people here who are somewhat (cough cough)
    different than the people I hang with in real life. So I learn different
    things.

    > On the street, the reason somebody's getting shot if I draw a firearm
    > is that I would not draw the firearm unless and until I was legally
    > justified in using it. To do so otherwise would be a violation of my
    > concealed weapons permit, could be considered brandishment, which is a
    > crime, and is usually a tactical error, as I don't want the bad guy(s)
    > to know I'm armed until the little gun goes BANG.

    That's not at all how I envisioned the scenario and it makes sense to
    me. I think I've told you about how I was offered a concealed weapons
    permit once - I was working for a detective agency out of Detroit. I
    declined it because I couldn't see a scenario where I'd use the weapon
    until they were close enough to wrench it away from me.

    But not TELLING them I had a weapon would make that scenario different.
    See, I always thought I'd TELL them first - a fair warning, a
    deterrent, my hysterical babbling... you see why.

    > The situation in my own home is completely different. There I can
    > legally assume anyone who has already committed a crime by breaking and
    > entering is reasonably considered a threat of grave bodily harm or
    > death.

    See, in my case someone breaking and entering is probably a kid sneaking
    in from a late night out or someone's boyfriend/girlfriend trying to get
    in for some nookie or maybe a teen-aged kid trying to steal a bike.
    Deadly force just isn't warranted at home.

    But maybe walking back to my car after a late night Red Sox game... or
    tomorrow's trip into The City to bring my poor sacrificial lamb of a
    husband to his lithotripsy at 5 AM... I wouldn't mind carrying in that
    situation.

    On an unrelated subject, do lithotripsies hurt for long afterwards? DH
    is chock full of kidney stones and they had to go in and grab out the
    ones in his ureter and gave him a stent for a couple of weeks - what fun
    and games - but now they're going in to blast away the ones in his other
    kidney before they start travelling. It's just one big party after
    another with those kidney stones!

    Dally

  7. Lee Michaels

    Lee Michaels Guest

    "Dally" <[email protected]> wrote

    > But not TELLING them I had a weapon would make that scenario different.
    > See, I always thought I'd TELL them first - a fair warning, a deterrent,
    > my hysterical babbling... you see why.

    A fair warning??

    Can you imagine what a good attorney can make that into??

    Much of the discussion of deadly force and what to do if involved in such an
    incident deal with the perverse imagination of district attorneys and
    aggressive trial lawyers. You don't want to give them anything that they
    can use to confuse a jury with.

    That is why shooting somebody is the absolute last resort. It had better be
    an absolute case of life or death. And even if it is totally justified, you
    may not get off legally. And that does not cover the other consequences of
    such an act.

    Believe me, any responsible and informed gumowner does NOT want to be
    involved in a shooting. Life becomes very complicated at that point.

  8. Dr_Dickie

    Dr_Dickie Guest

    "Lee Michaels" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Dally" <[email protected]> wrote
    > >
    > > But not TELLING them I had a weapon would make that scenario different.
    > > See, I always thought I'd TELL them first - a fair warning, a deterrent,
    > > my hysterical babbling... you see why.
    > >

    > A fair warning??
    >
    > Can you imagine what a good attorney can make that into??
    >
    > Much of the discussion of deadly force and what to do if involved in such

    an
    > incident deal with the perverse imagination of district attorneys and
    > aggressive trial lawyers. You don't want to give them anything that they
    > can use to confuse a jury with.
    >
    > That is why shooting somebody is the absolute last resort. It had better

    be
    > an absolute case of life or death. And even if it is totally justified,

    you
    > may not get off legally. And that does not cover the other consequences of
    > such an act.
    >
    > Believe me, any responsible and informed gumowner does NOT want to be
    > involved in a shooting. Life becomes very complicated at that point.

    I was always taught:
    1) Do not pull a gun unless you intend to use it (don't pull it just to
    scare someone off, they very well might shoot you!!-of course, that does not
    mean pull and shoot, just be PREPARED to shoot).
    2) Do not shoot unless you intend to kill (none of this wound crap, that can
    also get you killed).
    3) Better to be tried by 12, than buried by 6 (that means, do not pull a gun
    unless, in your estimation, the alternative is certain death--that is, of
    course, perceived--what else is there?)

    Having said that, I have owned firearms for over 35 years (had a CWP a
    couple of times), and have never, ever had to pull a gun on anyone. The
    first rule of gun ownership is, keep your ass out of situations that would
    require you to use a firearm (the range not withstanding).
    --
    Dr. Dickie
    Skepticult member in good standing #394-00596-438