Re: Swap parts from GT chromoly frame to aluminum??

Chalo

Guest
SCT Technology wrote:

> I have a GT mountain bike (model: LTS 4000). It was purchased back in
> 1998 and is still in great shape. However, it's got a heavy steel
> chromoly frame and I would like to find an aluminum bike frame where I
> could swap all the parts over. Is this possible?

Switching haphazardly from steel to aluminum could trigger a thermite
reaction, causing your bike to explode and possibly melting a hole in
the road. Use great care and deliberation in executing such a
transplant. Immersing your steel bike first in a vat of concentrated
phosphoric acid for about a week would be a good idea (remember to use
gloves). That would reduce the amount of available iron (III) oxide
to support combustion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermite

If your bike lighting uses acetylene or magnesium flares or an open
carbon arc, you should not undertake the frame swap. The risk of
calamity would be too great in the presence of these excellent sources
of ignition.

YMMV,

Chalo

Chalo Colina wrote:
> SCT Technology wrote:
>> I have a GT mountain bike (model: LTS 4000). It was purchased back in
>> 1998 and is still in great shape. However, it's got a heavy steel
>> chromoly frame and I would like to find an aluminum bike frame where I
>> could swap all the parts over. Is this possible?

> Switching haphazardly from steel to aluminum could trigger a thermite
> reaction, causing your bike to explode and possibly melting a hole in
> the road. Use great care and deliberation in executing such a
> transplant. Immersing your steel bike first in a vat of concentrated
> phosphoric acid for about a week would be a good idea (remember to use
> gloves). That would reduce the amount of available iron (III) oxide
> to support combustion.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermite
>
> If your bike lighting uses acetylene or magnesium flares or an open
> carbon arc, you should not undertake the frame swap. The risk of
> calamity would be too great in the presence of these excellent sources
> of ignition.
>
> YMMV,

POTM!

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people."
- A. Derleth

Tom Sherman wrote:
> Chalo Colina wrote:
>> SCT Technology wrote:
>>> I have a GT mountain bike (model: LTS 4000). It was purchased back in
>>> 1998 and is still in great shape. However, it's got a heavy steel
>>> chromoly frame and I would like to find an aluminum bike frame where I
>>> could swap all the parts over. Is this possible?

>> Switching haphazardly from steel to aluminum could trigger a thermite
>> reaction, causing your bike to explode and possibly melting a hole in
>> the road. Use great care and deliberation in executing such a
>> transplant. Immersing your steel bike first in a vat of concentrated
>> phosphoric acid for about a week would be a good idea (remember to use
>> gloves). That would reduce the amount of available iron (III) oxide
>> to support combustion.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermite
>>
>> If your bike lighting uses acetylene or magnesium flares or an open
>> carbon arc, you should not undertake the frame swap. The risk of
>> calamity would be too great in the presence of these excellent sources
>> of ignition.
>>
>> YMMV,
>>

> POTM!

check again. thermite is to reduce iron oxide, not iron.

On Jan 26, 2:53 pm, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
> Tom Sherman wrote:
> > Chalo Colina wrote:

> >> Switching haphazardly from steel to aluminum could trigger a thermite
> >> reaction, causing your bike to explode and possibly melting a hole in
> >> the road. Use great care and deliberation in executing such a
> >> transplant. Immersing your steel bike first in a vat of concentrated
> >> phosphoric acid for about a week would be a good idea (remember to use
> >> gloves). That would reduce the amount of available iron (III) oxide
> >> to support combustion.

> >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermite

> >> If your bike lighting uses acetylene or magnesium flares or an open
> >> carbon arc, you should not undertake the frame swap. The risk of
> >> calamity would be too great in the presence of these excellent sources
> >> of ignition.

> >> YMMV,

> > POTM!

> check again. thermite is to reduce iron oxide, not iron.

Isn't that what he said? "That would reduce the amount of available
iron (III) oxide
to support combustion."

On Jan 26, 11:30 pm, Hank <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jan 26, 2:53 pm, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > Tom Sherman wrote:

> > > POTM!

> > check again.  thermite is to reduce iron oxide, not iron.

> Isn't that what he said? "That would reduce the amount of available
> iron (III) oxide
> to support combustion."- Hide quoted text -

I'm so glat y'all have time to add negative value to the thread!
Thanks everyone for the posts (minus the 4 preceeding this one)

SCT Technology wrote:
> On Jan 26, 11:30 pm, Hank <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> check again. thermite is to reduce iron oxide, not iron.

>> Isn't that what he said? "That would reduce the amount of available
>> iron (III) oxide
>> to support combustion."- Hide quoted text -

> I'm so glat y'all have time to add negative value to the thread!
> Thanks everyone for the posts (minus the 4 preceeding this one)

Why replace a perfectly good steel frame with recycled beer cans?

Tom Sherman wrote:
> SCT Technology wrote:

>>> Isn't that what he said? "That would reduce the amount of available
>>> iron (III) oxide
>>> to support combustion."- Hide quoted text -

>> I'm so glat y'all have time to add negative value to the thread!
>> Thanks everyone for the posts (minus the 4 preceeding this one)
> >

> Why replace a perfectly good steel frame with recycled beer cans?

i think you'll find that the post-consumer recycling rate for steel is
much better than that of aluminum. more likely that your steel frame is
made of old pintos, and that ain't nuthin' to be proud of.