Re: Switching from cycling to running

Carl Brewer <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> swimmer aer far too busy perving on the girl they're
> followng to waste energy talking

Surely they're at the wrong angle for perving, unless they've got a fetish
for wrinkled feet?

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> You boys are too cynical. Next you'll be telling me that the boys who
> wheelsuck me are doing it for the views and not because I'm a faster
> cyclist.
>
> (Hehehe careful with your reply, Absent Husband, I seem to remember you
> wheelsucking!)
>
> Tam

Just because my bike speed in triathlons increases as the girl's groups
start to overtake has nothing to do with perving. It's just co-incidence
that that is where I get my second wind. (yeah right)

DaveB

On Tue, 17 May 2005, warrwych wrote:

> Tamyka Bell Wrote:
>>

>> You boys are too cynical. Next you'll be telling me that the boys who
>> wheelsuck me are doing it for the views and not because I'm a faster
>> cyclist.
>>
>> (Hehehe careful with your reply, Absent Husband, I seem to remember
>> you
>> wheelsucking!)
>>
>> Tam

> it took me a while to work out why the some of the guys I ride with
> have suggested I stand while climbing.. and why I always tow them to
> the top
> :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yeah, the tri boys encourage me to stay down on my bars...

It's pretty lame.

Tam

On 17 May 2005 04:00:47 GMT, Graeme <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Carl Brewer <[email protected]> wrote in
>news:[email protected]:
>
>> swimmer aer far too busy perving on the girl they're
>> followng to waste energy talking

>Surely they're at the wrong angle for perving, unless they've got a fetish
>for wrinkled feet?

You don't swim enough :)

Tamyka Bell said:
Yeah, the tri boys encourage me to stay down on my bars...

It's pretty lame.

Tam

it's cos their too busy riding their bikes (and swimming and running) to have a life.. hmmmm ... perhaps I shouldnt say to much!!!!
:D

Carl Brewer <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> You don't swim enough :)

No, that's true :(
But then again, I am Scottish, not Australian. Australian's seem to be
particularly good at swimming and Scots particularly **** (probably
something to do with the temperature of the water). I seriously considered
getting lessons to improve my technique when I moved out here a year or two
ago, but any spare time seems to have disappeared down the back of the
sofa.

Graeme

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> On Tue, 17 May 2005, dave wrote:
>
>> Resound wrote:
>>
>>> "Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> No, it's simple. It's a small, but profoundly important distinction.

>> Yep. Got to agree with this.
>> When you pass cyclists most smile. say hello or at least nod. MOst
>> runners either pretend you dont exist or really dont see you. Look at em
>> THey do not look like people having fun
>>
>> Dave

> Ahhhh, but as far as I am concerned, they are not RUNNERS, they are just
> TRAINING. If they were runners, they'd like doing it.

Ahhhh so I am not a runner. Or I would be nuts.... er like it :)

Me, I grin like an
> idiot and say hi to everyone, even initiating conversations with the old
> guys running home from work with backpacks on, etc (it's a good excuse
> to slow down for a bit). But I'm the same when cycling, I guess. Once I
> had a conversation with a guy in a kayak on the river.

Yeah I say g´day to everyone. If they ignore you it tells you something
about them instantly :)

> As for the cyclists smiling/saying hello/nodding... well, not in
> Brisbane. Small groups of social riders, yes. Big bunches ignore the
> people they're mowing down, commuters on mtbs are too busy trying to
> prove that they can go just as fast as road bikes (regardless of the
> conditions) with heads down, bums up and too bad if you step into their
> path, etc etc. On a few occasions my hello has startled someone so much
> they nearly stacked it.

Spatial awareness. Must be the 4wd owners.

Carl Brewer wrote:
> On 16 May 2005 18:00:48 -0700, "RobWoozle" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>Swimmers I can forgive for not talking ;-)

> swimmer aer far too busy perving on the girl they're
> followng to waste energy talking
>

>>Rob

IN my case swimming is staying alive in the water

I swim the same way helicopters fly.

so er no...

Dave

"You boys are too cynical. Next you'll be telling me that the boys who
wheelsuck me are doing it for the views and not because I'm a faster
cyclist.

(Hehehe careful with your reply, Absent Husband, I seem to remember you

wheelsucking!) "

<snip>

I, errr, but, ummm *blushes* *runs away*

AH ;) (gotta be careful - hippy could be anywhere....!!)

TimC wrote:
> On Mon, 16 May 2005 at 09:56 GMT, Marty (aka Bruce)
>
>>dave wrote:
>>
>>>Running is fun???

>>Running isn't fun, it just feels really great when you stop.

> I don't believe that. Although, it does suspiciously sound like the
> reason why I am doing my PhD. Tamyka? You with me on this one?

My comment was tounge in cheek. I'm about to set off for a 21 km
training run in a few minutes. Obviously if I didn't like it I wouldn't
do it.
What's your PhD?

Marty

Absent Husband wrote:
> SShhhhhhh - don't tell 'em that!!
>
> At Hibiscus pool (Mt Gravatt, Brisbane), most mornings during 'swim
> season' the Qld women's water polo squad would be doing their lap
> swimming sessions. And all the guys would be fighting over who would be
> swimming in the lanes next tothem.....
>
> Well, not literally. But always noticed that there'd be, like, 6
> swimmers using the lane next to them. And a max of 2 swimmers in all
> the others. I was always in one of the '2 swimmer' lanes - but that was
> mainly because I resembled an oil tanker chugging down the lane, and
> people quickly get sick of overtaking....
>
> Cheers,
> Absent Husband (who doesn't miss the icy cool water...)

Better than looking at the black line!

Marty

On Tue, 17 May 2005 at 09:41 GMT, Marty (aka Bruce)
> TimC wrote:
>> On Mon, 16 May 2005 at 09:56 GMT, Marty (aka Bruce)
>> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
>>>Running isn't fun, it just feels really great when you stop.

>> I don't believe that. Although, it does suspiciously sound like the
>> reason why I am doing my PhD. Tamyka? You with me on this one?
>>

> My comment was tounge in cheek. I'm about to set off for a 21 km
> training run in a few minutes. Obviously if I didn't like it I wouldn't
> do it.

Feh. I was forced to do it. Bloody PE teachers!

The only time I wagged school was when an all day sport fest of some
variety was on. After perving at the running girls in tight clothes.

> What's your PhD?

Something to do with astronomy. Where's suzy, anyway?

Warning: very outdated sucky link follows. Inhale at own risk:
http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/staff/tconnors/phd/

A mouse is a device used to focus xterms.

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> Carl Brewer wrote:
>
>>On 15 May 2005 17:12:10 -0700, "Absent Husband"
>><[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>Yeah - do both!!
>>>
>>>I'm sure I've read research reports (proper ones - control groups, etc,
>>>all used) - that show that runners that incorporate cycling into
>>>training are better than 'runners only'; and cyclists that incorporate
>>>a small amount of running are better cyclists.

>>I'm sure I haven't. Please cite your sources :)
>>And were the subjects of the research already well trained
>>cyclists/runners, or not? that make a *huge* difference
>>to the result of the experiment.

> Actually I'm pretty sure the studies have shown that cycling can't
> possibly help running. However, I became a better runner from cycling, I
> figure it was because I was overreaching in my running training whereas
> recovering from my cycling training, therefore it was a cardio effect.
>
> As for running helping cycling, I'm pretty sure it's all bad. The top
> triathletes are generally slower than top cyclists, and I've found that
> my cycling hasn't gotten much worse since I stopped training, and I
> cycle much stronger when I haven't been running. Probably would help
> their flexibility though. Plus running is fun, and you can do it cross
> country at night without lights.
>
> Tam

But top triathletes also run a lot faster than top cyclists :)

Joel

"Parbs" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:eek:[email protected]:

> "Graeme" wrote in message ...
>> Marty <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>>
>> > Canoeing helps my swimming

>> Yep, I used to canoe like that, then I improved my rolling technique
>> :)
>>
>> Graeme

> Post of the week!!!!!
>
> Parbs

I'll pay it.

Next time try folding kayaks on the open ocean.

Bl**dy stoopid Navy whose boats aren't always at the right place at the
correct time or appropriately costumed.

Cheers
BrettM

TimC wrote:
> On Tue, 17 May 2005 at 09:41 GMT, Marty (aka Bruce)
>
>>TimC wrote:
>>
>>>On Mon, 16 May 2005 at 09:56 GMT, Marty (aka Bruce)
>>> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

>>What's your PhD?

> Something to do with astronomy. Where's suzy, anyway?
>
> Warning: very outdated sucky link follows. Inhale at own risk:
> http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/staff/tconnors/phd/

I read your astronomy page and the whole time I could hear The Galaxy
Song (by Monty Python) going in my head.

Marty (Still looking for signs of intelligent life on earth.)

On Tue, 17 May 2005 at 12:24 GMT, Marty (aka Bruce)
> I read your astronomy page and the whole time I could hear The Galaxy
> Song (by Monty Python) going in my head.

Funny. When I saw the health minister ogling the premature babies at
the shiny new childrens hospital, on the news the other day, I was
looking at the very expensive machine that goes 'ping', in the
background.

Look - a diversion! It's shiny! -- Daniel Stone

Absent Husband wrote:

> "You boys are too cynical. Next you'll be telling me that the boys who
> wheelsuck me are doing it for the views and not because I'm a faster
> cyclist.
>
> (Hehehe careful with your reply, Absent Husband, I seem to remember you
>
> wheelsucking!) "
>
> <snip>
>
> I, errr, but, ummm *blushes* *runs away*
>
> AH ;) (gotta be careful - hippy could be anywhere....!!)

*ROFLMAO*

I saw a cyclist pulling out of Creek Rd as I approaced the red light
this morning. I was running late, passing there about 0650, but thought
it might be you, in kit that I hadn't seen you in. Then "you" opened
the gap and I thought you might have gotten a better run of lights than
me. Then I saw "you" trackstand at the lights at Marshall Rd
hahahahahaha! Guess it wasn't you after all! (Ain't that just the
perfect spot to trackstand, on the uphill bit? Wish I could...)

You said you recognise me when I'm in the sky blue squad gear - well I
think you might be onto something, because I noticed a lot more cyclists
(male, individual) saying g'day to me today than when I wear the
orange/yellow/ADF/whatever gear.

Tam