rec.bicycles.soc · Public discussion

Re: Take over Critical Mass?

Started by Holden Caufield · · Last activity · 5 posts · 522 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.bicycles.soc
Published
30 July 2004
Last activity
30 July 2004
Original author
Holden Caufield
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
522
Views / 30 days
5

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Critical Mass gives cycling a bad name. For that reason, I think that they
    are all freaks and social misfits.
    "s Stine" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Fran Stine" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Take over Critical Mass? by Michael Bluejay
    Jul 07, 2004 10:22 PST

    Sounds good to me. We have to show people in cars that they are wrong,


    so

    Quoted message said:

    by

    Quoted message said:

    causing traffic trouble in the streets, it gets their attention. Gandhi


    and

    Quoted message said:

    ML King showed us that Civil Disobedience always works. If we can cause
    enough traffic tie-ups, perhaps we can get to GRIDLOCK! If someone goes


    the

    Quoted message said:

    wrong way down a one-way street, just follow them. And let's just apply
    subtle peer pressure if people start going crazy. We could all start
    chanting, "Don't be a jerk! Don't be a jerk!" Okay, that's not subtle,


    but

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    it's festive, and intimidates people in cars.

    Since I work at UT, it would be convenient for me to participate, and I


    can

    Quoted message said:

    recruit other like-minded simpletons (as I did on the one CM ride I
    participated in 18 months or so ago). However, I'm only interested if


    other

    Quoted message said:

    riders carry some protection, a stick, mace a loud airhorn, etc.

    A) Follow common sense traffic laws our way

    This means detours down one way streets going the wrong way, mass


    blocking

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    of traffic signals, taking up both lanes of Lamar between 24th and 12th
    "just for the fun of it". But be careful, remember that lady that


    panicked

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    in the truck, and ran over Mary? Too bad.

    B) Try not to be complete [censored] all the time, and only to cars

    If I'm going to be an [censored], I prefer to do it in a crowd, I start to


    feel

    Quoted message said:

    like some kind of Republican itching to bomb A-rab children and having a


    big

    Quoted message said:

    frat boy party to celebrate the fact.

    Friends report that recent Critical Mass rides have had as few as 3


    people.

    Quoted message said:

    That's a far cry from the 100-200 from years past. When CM took a turn


    for

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the hostile, I didn't try to reform it, because I felt that if that's


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    sort of ride the participants wanted to have, that was their right -- I


    just

    Quoted message said:

    suggested what to do.

    But with the numbers dwindling so much, CM is now ripe for being


    reinvented.

    Quoted message said:

    With a large enough presence we can re-establish CM as it was originally
    practiced and envisioned: as a confrontational demonstration with cars.
    Hell, not just a demonstration causing traffic problems, but a cute
    CELEBRATION, with costumes, instruments, signs, banners, and dozens of
    cyclists.

    Who's with me?

    -MBJ-

    P.S. I think that if we have 12+ riders it's reasonable to take two or


    three

    Quoted message said:

    lanes on Lamar, that would be cool.

  2. Holden Caufield said:

    Critical Mass gives cycling a bad name. For that reason, I think that they
    are all freaks and social misfits.

    Davey (Critical Mass Rider) Crockett stands up and takes a Bow

  3. Quoted message said:
    Holden Caufield said:

    Critical Mass gives cycling a bad name. For that reason, I think that they
    are all freaks and social misfits.

    Davey (Critical Mass Rider) Crockett stands up and takes a Bow

    Do you mean a bow (as in bending at the waist) or a bow (as in "bow
    and arrows"😉 that could be to scare Holden off? :-)

    --
    My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB

  4. Holden Caufield said:
    Quoted message said:

    Critical Mass gives cycling a bad name. For that reason, I think that they
    are all freaks and social misfits.

    Davey_Crockett said:

    Davey (Critical Mass Rider) Crockett stands up and takes a Bow

    Well you do post to rbr so you fit the 'freak and social misfit' profile
    admirably.

  5. "Holden Caufield" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Critical Mass gives cycling a bad name. For that reason, I think that they
    are all freaks and social misfits.

    My take on Critical Mass, the trouble makers aside, are people trying
    to reclaim their right to safe passage on the city streets. I find
    driving a car in downtown San Francisco a harrowing experience. The
    few times I've spun around downtown on a bike have convinced me these
    people are not lacking in courage. They're patriots of a local
    nature.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.