Re-tapping left pedal crank

meb

New Member
Aug 21, 2003
1,219
Swapping out pedals recently, I’ve destroyed the pedal threads on a left crank and visibly damaged the threads half the length on another that seems to be holding fine.

I know they make LH pedal taps, but wonder if upon destroying the threads if there typically is enough METAL left to merit re-threading with a tap on aluminum cranks.

Anyone had success or failure re-tapping?

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:24:22 +1000, meb
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Swapping out pedals recently, I’ve destroyed the pedal threads on a left
>crank and visibly damaged the threads half the length on another that
>seems to be holding fine.
>
>I know they make LH pedal taps, but wonder if upon destroying the
>threads if there typically is enough thread left to merit re-threading
>with a tap on aluminum cranks.
>
>Anyone had success or failure re-tapping?

I've heard of people not even really retapping, but just threading in
a pedal from the backside just to smooth out some galling. Maybe try
that first and then see if the pedal will hold when installed
properly?

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Swapping out pedals recently, I’ve destroyed the pedal threads on a left
>crank and visibly damaged the threads half the length on another that
>seems to be holding fine.
>
>I know they make LH pedal taps, but wonder if upon destroying the
>threads if there typically is enough thread left to merit re-threading
>with a tap on aluminum cranks.
>
>Anyone had success or failure re-tapping?

I've heard of people not even really retapping, but just threading in
a pedal from the backside just to smooth out some galling. Maybe try
that first and then see if the pedal will hold when installed
properly?

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

I tried that a couple of days ago.
On the one visibly damaged yet holding it appears to have helped.

The other is now smooth bore except maybe the innermost thread turn, so there is not enough thread for the pedal to grip even when inserted from the opposite side. LH Helicoil is still an option, but this happens enough needed consider getting a LH tap.

meb wrote:

> Swapping out pedals recently, I’ve destroyed the pedal threads on a left
> crank and visibly damaged the threads half the length on another that
> seems to be holding fine.
>
> I know they make LH pedal taps, but wonder if upon destroying the
> threads if there typically is enough thread left to merit re-threading
> with a tap on aluminum cranks.

Left arms are usually replaced as they cost less than the
service in most cases.
But indeed a tap might clear slight thread damage. If the
arm must be re-used a steel insert or a helicoil may be set
in it. Find someone experienced in this work and ask
his/her advice.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:24:22 +1000, meb
><[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Swapping out pedals recently, I’ve destroyed the pedal threads on a left
>>crank and visibly damaged the threads half the length on another that
>>seems to be holding fine.
>>
>>I know they make LH pedal taps, but wonder if upon destroying the
>>threads if there typically is enough thread left to merit re-threading
>>with a tap on aluminum cranks.
>>
>>Anyone had success or failure re-tapping?

>I've heard of people not even really retapping, but just threading in
>a pedal from the backside just to smooth out some galling. Maybe try
>that first and then see if the pedal will hold when installed
>properly?

FWIW, I'd recommend just replacing the left crank - they're dirt
cheap, and the "cost" of a failure could be spectacular.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 23:19:55 -0500, A Muzi <[email protected]>
wrote:

>meb wrote:
>
>> Swapping out pedals recently, I’ve destroyed the pedal threads on a left
>> crank and visibly damaged the threads half the length on another that
>> seems to be holding fine.
>>
>> I know they make LH pedal taps, but wonder if upon destroying the
>> threads if there typically is enough thread left to merit re-threading
>> with a tap on aluminum cranks.

>Left arms are usually replaced as they cost less than the
>service in most cases.
>But indeed a tap might clear slight thread damage. If the
>arm must be re-used a steel insert or a helicoil may be set
>in it. Find someone experienced in this work and ask
>his/her advice.

9/16x20 is not a Helicoil size that is supplied as an item available
from stock Time-Sert also doesn't supply that size as a stock item.
It might be possible to get them on special order, but it would be
likely to be costly. OTOH, a threaded bushing could be made and
inserted by a number of means; one is simply to tap the hole for a
much larger thread (probably 3/4" NF or 18x1.5mm), cut off a piece of
threaded stock of that size, run it into the hole, pin it in place,
and then drill and tap it to size. This would only work on a crank
that had sufficient meat around the bore to leave it sound after the
rethreading. I've used similar tactics in machinery repairs a few
times; done well, in an appropriate situation, it's a durable and
permanent fix.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Werehatrack wrote:

> 9/16x20 is not a Helicoil size that is supplied as an item available
> from stock Time-Sert also doesn't supply that size as a stock item.
> It might be possible to get them on special order, but it would be
> likely to be costly. OTOH, a threaded bushing could be made and
> inserted by a number of means; one is simply to tap the hole for a
> much larger thread (probably 3/4" NF or 18x1.5mm), cut off a piece of
> threaded stock of that size, run it into the hole, pin it in place,
> and then drill and tap it to size. This would only work on a crank
> that had sufficient meat around the bore to leave it sound after the
> rethreading. I've used similar tactics in machinery repairs a few
> times; done well, in an appropriate situation, it's a durable and
> permanent fix.

No need to fabricate such a bushing, this is a standard repair part,
made by ELDI.

See: http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&Category=817

Although QBP's copy writer calls them "helicoils" they are not actually,
they're solid bushings.

Sheldon "Day Is Done, Gone The Sun..." Brown
| Good judgment comes from experience, |
| and experience comes from bad judgment. |
| --Fred Brook |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

On 2004-10-27, meb <[email protected]> wrote:

> Swapping out pedals recently, I’ve destroyed the pedal threads on a left
> crank and visibly damaged the threads half the length on another that
> seems to be holding fine.
>
> I know they make LH pedal taps, but wonder if upon destroying the
> threads if there typically is enough thread left to merit re-threading
> with a tap on aluminum cranks.
>
> Anyone had success or failure re-tapping?

ELDI makes a reamer/tap and bushing kit for exactly this purpose. It's
probably more than you'd want to spend for a one-off job, but chances are
your LBS has the kit and could do the work for you.

--

-John ([email protected])

Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> writes:

>Werehatrack wrote:
>>
>> 9/16x20 is not a Helicoil size that is supplied as an item available
>> from stock

>No need to fabricate such a bushing, this is a standard repair part,
>made by ELDI.

>See: http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&Category=817

>Although QBP's copy writer calls them "helicoils" they are not actually,
>they're solid bushings.

What's the deal with these QBP bushings ?? The right side is brass,
whereas the left side is steel / silver ?? Does anyone know why
different materials are used ??

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

On 27 Oct 2004 12:43:38 -0700, [email protected] (Donald Gillies)
wrote:

>Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> writes:
>
>>Werehatrack wrote:
>>>
>>> 9/16x20 is not a Helicoil size that is supplied as an item available
>>> from stock

>>No need to fabricate such a bushing, this is a standard repair part,
>>made by ELDI.

>>See: http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&Category=817

>>Although QBP's copy writer calls them "helicoils" they are not actually,
>>they're solid bushings.

>What's the deal with these QBP bushings ?? The right side is brass,
>whereas the left side is steel / silver ?? Does anyone know why
>different materials are used ??

It says brass, but the photo makes me think it's probably yellow cad
plated; that's often mistaken for brass by people who catalog stuff.
It would make sense for them to do something to differentiate the
appearance of the two, and the easiest solution is to use two
different kinds of plating.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Donald Gillies wrote:
-snip- bushings ?? The right side is brass,
> whereas the left side is steel / silver ?? Does anyone know why
> different materials are used ??

They are both steel. The plating color is different on each
side. Many small parts, such as brake springs, have
variegated plating so you don't mix the left and right ones.