UK and Europe · Public discussion

Re: The fad for Mountain Bikes

Started by MSeries · · Last activity · 4 posts · 359 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
3 September 2004
Last activity
3 September 2004
Original author
MSeries
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
359
Views / 30 days
12

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Eatmorepies said:


    I bought my first mountain bike in 1985 or so. It had friction


    indexed

    Quoted message said:

    handlebar shifters and 18 gears (I think).

    friction indexed shifters ? Were they friction or indexed ?

    I suspect they were indexed and the lever moved further and further
    rather than push (shift) and click back.

    My ATB had indexed Deore thumbshifters in 1985, it was not made from
    fat tubes though, it was Reynolds 531 road bike stock and custom made.
    BTW Land Rovers the original SUV in the UK have been around since the
    50s.

  2. MSeries said:

    BTW Land Rovers the original SUV in the UK have been around since the
    50s.

    40's

  3. Quoted message said:
    Eatmorepies said:


    I bought my first mountain bike in 1985 or so. It had friction


    indexed

    Quoted message said:

    handlebar shifters and 18 gears (I think).

    friction indexed shifters ? Were they friction or indexed ?

    I suspect they were indexed and the lever moved further and further
    rather than push (shift) and click back.

    Correct, they were single levers that clicked into place - a pal of mine
    calls them thumbies.

    John

    Quoted message said:
  4. In message <[email hidden]>, Eatmorepies
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Eatmorepies said:


    I bought my first mountain bike in 1985 or so. It had friction


    indexed

    Quoted message said:

    handlebar shifters and 18 gears (I think).

    friction indexed shifters ? Were they friction or indexed ?

    I suspect they were indexed and the lever moved further and further
    rather than push (shift) and click back.

    Correct, they were single levers that clicked into place

    That means indexed - friction means that there are no set positions for
    the lever re the gears. This is separate from the type of shifter.

    (I take it by 'friction indexed' your were differentiating them from
    modern two lever/button type shifters)

    Quoted message said:

    - a pal of mine
    calls them thumbies.

    Because they were called thumb shifters (for obvious reasons) Still a
    lot to be said for them, I have a Deore one still doing service as the
    front shifter on my utility bike.
    --
    Chris French, Leeds

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.