Re: "The Hell of the North Downs"

Iain Jones

Guest
davek <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I have to say I surprised myself with some of my descending prowess -
> interestingly, it was the first chance I had to go out on my bike since
> installing the new Gatorskins, and they seemed to make quite some
> difference (in a beneficial way) to rolling resistance compared to my
> old tyres, which surely helped.

First real fast descent on my road bike (compared to heavy mountain bike
with chunky tyres) was a steep twisty road in Lancashire somewhere. Whether
I liked it or not I reached 50mph, ooh what's that, a huge pothole, ka-
dumff. I swear I was airborne for a brief second or two, and another sharp
corner was approaching fast. I stayed upright though. Had to wait a few
minutes at the café at the bottom for my hands to stop shaking!

So I've been grabbing the brakes hard ever since ;-)

>>Never done an Audax myself but been considering them lately.

> If you like climbing, there's the Devon and Exmoor 300 next weekend - 3
> AAA (altitude) points - 5000 metres of climbing!
>
> d.

I'll excuse myself from that one thanks. It's too far away for me. That
sounds better than "It's too hard for me."

Iain Jones <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> First real fast descent on my road bike (compared to heavy mountain bike
> with chunky tyres) was a steep twisty road in Lancashire somewhere. Whether
> I liked it or not I reached 50mph, ooh what's that, a huge pothole, ka-
> dumff. I swear I was airborne for a brief second or two, and another sharp
> corner was approaching fast. I stayed upright though.

Airborne at 50 mph from a pothole there's a handy prayer you can use.
Dear God, please let my wheels still be round.

--
Dave...