Re: the more you look the more questions are raised

jas0n wrote:
> im after a basic strong (25stone .. last time im gonna mention it!!!)

> commuter bike with a wide range of gears ro carry my large bulk to

work
> and back and the odd long day / weekend trip ...

Looks about right for a commuter for you. Wide gear range. City tyres.
1.5 tyres on 26" rims should be strong enough. For anything other than
a short commute think about fitting a rear rack for a pannier rather
than using a rucsac. Not everyone likes gripshift gears.

> Im 6'2 and not sure how you measure these sorts of frames against
> yourself

I'm 6ft3 and find 21 or 22" mtb frames fit although the saddle is
normally almost at max height. Main problem is getting the bars at the
right height. I would recommend trying to get the bike from a local
bike shop. A LBS would also help you get a bike set up to fit you
properly which might mean changing the handlebar stem.
If you post the area you live in someboidy on the group might be
able to point you at a shop that stocks Konas.
Iain

> Looks about right for a commuter for you. Wide gear range. City tyres.
> 1.5 tyres on 26" rims should be strong enough. For anything other than
> a short commute think about fitting a rear rack for a pannier rather
> than using a rucsac. Not everyone likes gripshift gears.

For work i can leave clothes there to change into and the bike can live next
to my office too, 24/7 security right outside the door. I'll add the rack
later on when I start doing a few long day trips. Ive already got a seat
post bag I can use for small tools, couple spare tubes.

> > Im 6'2 and not sure how you measure these sorts of frames against
> > yourself

> I'm 6ft3 and find 21 or 22" mtb frames fit although the saddle is
> normally almost at max height. Main problem is getting the bars at the
> right height. I would recommend trying to get the bike from a local
> bike shop. A LBS would also help you get a bike set up to fit you
> properly which might mean changing the handlebar stem.
> If you post the area you live in someboidy on the group might be
> able to point you at a shop that stocks Konas.
> Iain

I live north birmingham - not far from Beggar's Bush 24/7 Tesco's. On a
previous mtb several years back I had some sort of weird shaped bar's, they
weren't full butterfly bars and they werent the sort that have straight end
entensions - the end sort of curled upwards and then back in on themselves -
they were very comfortable.

It was only a 5 mile each way commute then into Halesowen where I had the
joy/terror of Mucklows Hill to come down in the morning ... Its funny seeing
the face's of drivers when you pass them on the way down a steep hill .....
! .... dont think id be doing anything like that these days but back then it
was young/stupid fun.

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 00:11:08 -0000, "jas0n" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I live north birmingham - not far from Beggar's Bush 24/7 Tesco's. On a

Not too far from me ... alas there is no local bike shop. Nearest
alternative is Halfords.

--
Jesus was apparently betrayed by 8.3% of his disciples.

"Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 00:11:08 -0000, "jas0n" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I live north birmingham - not far from Beggar's Bush 24/7 Tesco's. On a

> Not too far from me ... alas there is no local bike shop. Nearest
> alternative is Halfords.

..... and they dont stock it - ive got to buy it for them to get it in for
me.

You'll know my route to work then Richard .... straight up Chester Road
through Brownhills to Cannock. Any good LBS's over that way that may stock
the Kona Smoke 2005?

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 10:15:48 -0000, "jas0n" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 00:11:08 -0000, "jas0n" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >I live north birmingham - not far from Beggar's Bush 24/7 Tesco's. On a

>> Not too far from me ... alas there is no local bike shop. Nearest
>> alternative is Halfords.

>.... and they dont stock it - ive got to buy it for them to get it in for
>me.
>
>You'll know my route to work then Richard .... straight up Chester Road
>through Brownhills to Cannock. Any good LBS's over that way that may stock
>the Kona Smoke 2005?

Not sure who will stock it but a couple of good shops are:

Sanders of High Street, Chasetown

Bridgetown Cycles on North Street, Bridgetown (run by the people that
used to run Sutton Cycles)?

--
Jesus was apparently betrayed by 8.3% of his disciples.