Re: the more you look the more questions are raised

Pete Biggs

Guest
jas0n wrote:
> im after a basic strong (25stone .. last time im gonna mention it!!!)
> commuter bike with a wide range of gears ro carry my large bulk to
> work and back and the odd long day / weekend trip ...
>
> i keep being drawn back to the kona smoke 2005, can someone who knows
> about gearing tell me if this bike has a wide range of gears please
> as i know next to nothing about gears, the link to it is:-
>
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z1063657A

That's a wide range all right, although some people complain that a 42x11
top gear is too low -- but it shouldn't be if you can get yer legs moving!
:) More importantly, the bottom gear is a mountain biking kind of gear
so it should get you up the steep hills relatively easily.

/snip
> if buying from wiggle, can you buy a set of different tyres and have
> them fitted to the new bike as part of its setup?

Probably not from Wiggle: more of a box shipping company.

> ive read the tyres
> supplied arn't that good and with all the mentions of marathon/plus
> tyres p*ncture protection im thinking to start off with a set of
> those? or should I just see how the supplied are to start off with
> .... ?

Schwalbe City Jet is another good 26" tyre for general road riding. I
don't know what City Slickers are like.

~PB

Response to Pete Biggs:
> > if buying from wiggle, can you buy a set of different tyres and have
> > them fitted to the new bike as part of its setup?

> Probably not from Wiggle: more of a box shipping company.

The OP might have more of a chance of this from Cyclestore: the Real Life
end of the business is my LBS (when I don't mind travelling a few miles
extra for a great but not-very-LBS, IYSWIM), and I think it's more or
less the same people who run the internet end. If so, they should be
helpful.

I'd ring the shop in Congleton and ask. (Acksherly, I'd do what
Iain suggested and try to find a local LBS - for the fitting, the
personal service, and sundry advice.)

--
Mark, UK.

"A cathedral, a wave of a storm, a dancer's leap, never turn out
to be as high as we had hoped."