Re: tinned crab meat

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by serene, Mar 26, 2006.

  1. serene

    serene Guest

    On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 18:07:59 -0500, Siobhan Perricone
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I've found some crab meat at Costco that's pretty good. It's already
    >picked, and decently so. It's got a good flavour and I like eating it just
    >with some melted butter and heated, but I was wondering what other people
    >might make with it.

    I used a can of it to make a hot crab and artichoke dip. It was
    yummy. (Chopped up some canned artichoke hearts pretty finely. Added
    a can of crab, a cup each of sour cream and parmesan cheese, and a
    half cup of mayo. Baked at 400F until the whole thing looked all
    brown and bubbly. Served with crackers.)

    serene

    Tags:

  2. serene

    serene Guest

    On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 11:47:21 -0500, Siobhan Perricone
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 08:13:02 -0800, serene <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 18:07:59 -0500, Siobhan Perricone
    >><[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I've found some crab meat at Costco that's pretty good. It's already
    >>>picked, and decently so. It's got a good flavour and I like eating it just
    >>>with some melted butter and heated, but I was wondering what other people
    >>>might make with it.

    >>I used a can of it to make a hot crab and artichoke dip. It was
    >>yummy. (Chopped up some canned artichoke hearts pretty finely. Added
    >>a can of crab, a cup each of sour cream and parmesan cheese, and a
    >>half cup of mayo. Baked at 400F until the whole thing looked all
    >>brown and bubbly. Served with crackers.)

    >But for the artichoke hearts that sounds great. What would be a good
    >subtitute for those of use who are unenlightened about artichoke hearts? :)

    Leave 'em out. It works great without them.

    serene

  3. > <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>I've found some crab meat at Costco that's pretty good. It's already
    >>picked, and decently so. It's got a good flavour and I like eating it
    >>just
    >>with some melted butter and heated, but I was wondering what other people
    >>might make with it.

    Crab quiche

  4. On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 11:47:21 -0500, Siobhan Perricone
    <[email protected]> rummaged among random neurons and opined:

    >On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 08:13:02 -0800, serene <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 18:07:59 -0500, Siobhan Perricone
    >><[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I've found some crab meat at Costco that's pretty good. It's already
    >>>picked, and decently so. It's got a good flavour and I like eating it just
    >>>with some melted butter and heated, but I was wondering what other people
    >>>might make with it.

    Crab Soup, crab rangoon, crab au gratin (see recipes below), to name
    three:

    >>I used a can of it to make a hot crab and artichoke dip. It was
    >>yummy. (Chopped up some canned artichoke hearts pretty finely. Added
    >>a can of crab, a cup each of sour cream and parmesan cheese, and a
    >>half cup of mayo. Baked at 400F until the whole thing looked all
    >>brown and bubbly. Served with crackers.)

    >But for the artichoke hearts that sounds great. What would be a good
    >subtitute for those of use who are unenlightened about artichoke hearts? :)

    Siobhan, I am not an artichoke fan, but I *love* my artichoke and crab
    spread. Try it - you really don't notice the artichoke except as a
    nicely sharp veggie.

    @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

    Maryland Crab Soup

    soups and stews

    2 14.5 oz. cans diced tomatoes
    3 cups water
    1 cup lima beans
    1 cup corn kernels
    1 cup green beans (fresh); cut into 2 inch pieces
    1 cup carrots; sliced
    1 cup onion; chopped
    2 tablespoons old bay seasoning
    1/2 head cabbage; cored and chopped
    2 cups beef broth
    1 pound blue crab crabmeat

    Combine all ingredients in stock pot. Bring to boil and reduce to
    simmer. Cook 30 mins.

    Note: to keep larger crab chunks together, throw in at the last minute
    and just heat through.

    Contributor: Combination of Several Recipes

    Yield: 10 servings

    Preparation Time: 30 mi

    @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

    Crab Rangoon

    appetizers

    1 package won-ton wrappers
    1 8 oz. cream cheese
    1 ounce crabmeat
    1 teaspoon soy sauce
    1 tablespoon green onion; chopped
    oil for deep frying

    Stir cream cheese until softened. Add remaining ingredients and mix
    well. Put 1 T. of mixture in center of the won-ton wrapper and pinch 4
    corners together. Deep fry until golden over medium heat, about 1 - 2
    mins.

    Contributor: RFC (apologies to whomever I got this recipe from - I
    failed to make note)

    Yield: 12 servings

    @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

    Crab-Meat Gratin

    appetizers, fish and seafood

    2 tablespoons minced carrot
    2 tablespoons minced celery
    2 tablespoons minced red bell pepper
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    1/2 cup chicken broth
    1/4 cup dry vermouth or dry white wine
    1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon, crumbled
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    1/2 pound fresh lump crab meat, picked over (; about 1 1/2 cups)
    fresh lemon juice to taste
    1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese

    Preheat broiler. Butter 4 small ramekins and set aside.

    In a small heavy saucepan cook carrot, celery, and bell pepper in
    butter over moderate heat, stirring, 1 minute. Add broth, vermouth or
    wine, and tarragon and boil mixture until liquid is reduced to about 1
    tablespoon. Add cream and boil sauce until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes.
    Stir in crab meat, lemon juice, 1/4 C. Parmesan cheese and salt and
    pepper to taste and divide mixture between two 1-cup shallow baking
    dishes. Sprinkle remaining Parmesan over crab mixture and set ramekins
    in shallow baking pan. Broil gratin about 4 inches from heat 2
    minutes, or until bubbling and golden, and serve with toasts.

    Contributor: Gourmet

    Yield: serves 2.

    Preparation Time: 45 mi

[...]

    pepper to taste and divide mixture between four ramekins. Sprinkle
    remaining Parmesan over crab mixture and set ramekins in shallow
    baking pan. Broil gratin about 4 inches from heat 2 minutes, or until
    bubbling and golden, and serve with toasts.

    Contributor: Gourmet

    Yield: 4 small svgs.

    Preparation Time: 45 mi

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
    AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    "Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
    classed as cannybals."

    Finley Peter Dunne (1900)