Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Re: Tire Pressure & relationship to punctures

Started by Mark D · · Last activity · 5 posts · 390 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
24 August 2005
Last activity
24 August 2005
Original author
Mark D
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
390
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. For awhile last year, I was doing a lot of highway shoulder riding, and
    was virtually flatting every ride. (Vittoria Open Corsa CX)

    A couple were thorns (or those goatheads as they call them) But largely,
    they were minute punctures that looked like someone poked the tube with
    a hypodermic needle.

    Mostly, I was lucky, in that I'd make it home, and then notice the flat
    the next day before a ride, but once got caught 24 miles out (according
    to my computer)

    I was told by my LBS owner, that what I am typically picking up out on
    the highways, is small minute metal wires left by Semi-truck tires. I
    don't know how accurate this is, but it sounds quite possible.

    Since I've refrained this year from riding highway shoulders in-out of
    town, I've only flatted once, and it was a thorn.

    This may be what's happening with you?
    For awhile there, I thought I was going to have to buy stock in some
    innertube company! lol
    Mark D.

  2. On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 07:46:20 -0600, [email hidden] (Mark D)

    Quoted message said:

    For awhile last year, I was doing a lot of highway shoulder riding, and
    was virtually flatting every ride. (Vittoria Open Corsa CX)

    A couple were thorns (or those goatheads as they call them) But largely,
    they were minute punctures that looked like someone poked the tube with
    a hypodermic needle.

    Mostly, I was lucky, in that I'd make it home, and then notice the flat
    the next day before a ride, but once got caught 24 miles out (according
    to my computer)

    I was told by my LBS owner, that what I am typically picking up out on
    the highways, is small minute metal wires left by Semi-truck tires. I
    don't know how accurate this is, but it sounds quite possible.

    Since I've refrained this year from riding highway shoulders in-out of
    town, I've only flatted once, and it was a thorn.

    This may be what's happening with you?
    For awhile there, I thought I was going to have to buy stock in some
    innertube company! lol
    Mark D.

    Dear Mark,

    What are known as Michelin wires can make tiny holes in
    tubes, but so can goatheads, which have three methods of
    impaling tires.

    Modest thorns prefer to give the tire a sharp jab and then
    let themselves be torn free without sticking around (sorry,
    couldn't help that). They leave no trace beyond a pinhole
    and make you feel foolish and frustrated as you run finger
    or thumb around the inside of the tire repeatedly without
    finding the culprit.

    Clumsier thorns get stuck in and then break off, leaving a
    tiny thorn that must later be found and then dug out of the
    tire--a paper-clip hung on the zipper of a bike-bag is
    useful, but the tongue of a wrist-watch buckle can be used,
    though it's really too big.

    Exhibitionist goatheads catch your eye--what's that yellow
    thing whipping around on the side of the front tire? When
    you stop, the tire may still be holding air, with not even a
    hiss as you hold your ear close to the gloating thorn.

    The filthy vines are just about ready to start dropping the
    ripe thorns now around here.

    Carl Fogel

  3. Carl Fogel said:

    Exhibitionist goatheads catch your eye--what's that yellow thing
    whipping around on the side of the front tire? When you stop, the
    tire may still be holding air, with not even a hiss as you hold your
    ear close to the gloating thorn.

    Quoted message said:

    The filthy vines are just about ready to start dropping the ripe
    thorns now around here.

    Puncture vine (aka Tribulus terrestris) produces thorns throughout its
    summer existence even a weak or so after the first blossoms appear,
    and they do that shortly after the plant produces leaves. Five segment
    seed pods of dense hard wood are produced continuously while the plant
    grows and blooms. There is no ripening part of the season. See pix:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/thorns.html

    Jobst Brandt

  4. Quoted message said:
    Carl Fogel said:

    Exhibitionist goatheads catch your eye--what's that yellow thing
    whipping around on the side of the front tire? When you stop, the
    tire may still be holding air, with not even a hiss as you hold your
    ear close to the gloating thorn.

    Quoted message said:

    The filthy vines are just about ready to start dropping the ripe
    thorns now around here.

    Puncture vine (aka Tribulus terrestris) produces thorns throughout its
    summer existence even a weak or so after the first blossoms appear,
    and they do that shortly after the plant produces leaves. Five segment
    seed pods of dense hard wood are produced continuously while the plant
    grows and blooms. There is no ripening part of the season. See pix:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/thorns.html

    Jobst Brandt

    Dear Jobst,

    The thorns start out green and soft, take a while to grow
    brown and harden, and then they fall off----it's called
    ripening and is quite noticeable.

    Since the rains typically come late in summer around Pueblo,
    the growth occurs late in the summer, giving the process a
    rather seasonal nature.

    Thorns from the last century or so are still available to
    provide punctures in the previous eleven months of the year.

    See the plants actually growing, as I do every day.

    (The ones sending a single damned tendril along the cracks
    are now about 2/3's of the way across my bicycle path, with
    happy little green thorns growing on them.)

    Carl Fogel

  5. Carl Fogel said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Exhibitionist goatheads catch your eye--what's that yellow thing
    whipping around on the side of the front tire? When you stop, the
    tire may still be holding air, with not even a hiss as you hold your
    ear close to the gloating thorn.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The filthy vines are just about ready to start dropping the ripe
    thorns now around here.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Puncture vine (aka Tribulus terrestris) produces thorns throughout
    its summer existence even a weak or so after the first blossoms
    appear, and they do that shortly after the plant produces
    leaves. Five segment seed pods of dense hard wood are produced
    continuously while the plant grows and blooms. There is no
    ripening part of the season. See pix:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/thorns.html

    Quoted message said:

    The thorns start out green and soft, take a while to grow brown and
    harden, and then they fall off----it's called ripening and is quite
    noticeable.

    I'm not convinced that the plant doesn't get started in spring with the
    first warm weather as it does in most other areas. Are you sure you
    couldn't find any in late May or June?

    Quoted message said:

    Since the rains typically come late in summer around Pueblo, the
    growth occurs late in the summer, giving the process a rather
    seasonal nature.

    Puncture vine doesn't need any rains, it producing a tap root that
    reaches more than three feet below the surface.

    Quoted message said:

    Thorns from the last century or so are still available to provide
    punctures in the previous eleven months of the year.

    This makes me think of doing an experiment. Because we have no
    puncture vine flats during the cooler, wet parts of the year here, I
    assumed they get dissolved. I'll have to look into this. As I have
    mentioned, areas where the road department did not spray herbicides,
    other roadside plants grew and there are no traces of the spiny pods,
    plants or dried up tendrils from previous infestation. That I have
    looked into at length.

    Quoted message said:

    See the plants actually growing, as I do every day.

    We have roads where there are thick mats of them. Notice how when
    transmitting sunshine the leaves are light green and in reflective
    mode are dark green. The blossoms are a cheery canary yellow all the
    time.

    Quoted message said:

    (The ones sending a single damned tendril along the cracks are now
    about 2/3's of the way across my bicycle path, with happy little
    green thorns growing on them.)

    Even green thorns are capable of causing flats if they are broken into
    single pods, as they are by people who inadvertently ride through a
    thicket.

    Jobst Brandt

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.