Re: Today's Priceless Supermarket Moment

Miche

"Default User" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ranee Mueller wrote:

> > In which case, I wonder why have the designation at all. If a
> > rule isn't going to be enforced, don't make it a rule in the first
> > place.

> Because most of the time it works. You do get people who (sometimes
> willfully) violate the rule, but most respect it.

Augh.

My dad used to be a wilful violator of that particular rule. To him,
four loaves of bread was "one item", six cans of soup was "one item",
etc.

Miche

--
WWMVD?

Miche wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Default User" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Ranee Mueller wrote:

>> > In which case, I wonder why have the designation at all. If a
>> > rule isn't going to be enforced, don't make it a rule in the first
>> > place.

>> Because most of the time it works. You do get people who (sometimes
>> willfully) violate the rule, but most respect it.

> Augh.
>
> My dad used to be a wilful violator of that particular rule. To him,
> four loaves of bread was "one item", six cans of soup was "one item",
> etc.
>
> Miche

my only frustration is that I don't like using those plastic produce bags but
if I stick all my apples or tomatoes into a bag it's one item, but loose they
are counted seperately.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com

The Bubbo wrote:
> Miche wrote:
>
>>In article <[email protected]>,

>>>Because most of the time it works. You do get people who (sometimes
>>>willfully) violate the rule, but most respect it.

>>Augh.
>>
>>My dad used to be a wilful violator of that particular rule. To him,
>>four loaves of bread was "one item", six cans of soup was "one item",
>>etc.
>>
>>Miche
>>

> my only frustration is that I don't like using those plastic produce bags but
> if I stick all my apples or tomatoes into a bag it's one item, but loose they
> are counted seperately.

I hate produce bags too! But I've seen enough people put gross things in
their cart without anything covering them that I use them. I'll use the
express lane if I have, like, 13 items and it says 12, especially if
there is no line or a short line. I wouldn't count six of one thing as
"one item" though.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

email:
anisaerah at s b c global.net

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

sarah bennett wrote:

> I hate produce bags too! But I've seen enough people put gross things in
> their cart without anything covering them that I use them. I'll use the
> express lane if I have, like, 13 items and it says 12, especially if
> there is no line or a short line. I wouldn't count six of one thing as
> "one item" though.

They're too fragile to be used again so they just get tossed, can't use them
to pick up after the dogs or anything. Just feels terribly wasteful.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

"The Bubbo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Miche wrote:
>> In article <[email protected]>,

>>> Because most of the time it works. You do get people who (sometimes
>>> willfully) violate the rule, but most respect it.

>> Augh.
>>
>> My dad used to be a wilful violator of that particular rule. To him,
>> four loaves of bread was "one item", six cans of soup was "one item",
>> etc.
>>
>> Miche
>>

> my only frustration is that I don't like using those plastic produce bags
> but
> if I stick all my apples or tomatoes into a bag it's one item, but loose
> they
> are counted seperately.
>
> --
> .:Heather:.
> www.velvet-c.com
> Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

I figure if it has to be scanned once it's one item. Apples in a bag are
scanned as one item. Six loaves of bread are scanned as 6 items. If you
just happen to buy them wrapped in one jumbo super saver deal it will scan
as one item. I've said loudly to the cashier, "Isn't this the 10 items or
less line? I'm confused the person in front of me has well over that
limit?" The cashier never does anything about it. They don't want
confrontation. I go through the self check most of the time. I've gotten
to where I'm just as fast if not faster (if no kids are with me) than the
cashiers.

Lynne

The Bubbo wrote:
> sarah bennett wrote:
>

> > I hate produce bags too! But I've seen enough people put gross things in
> > their cart without anything covering them that I use them. I'll use the
> > express lane if I have, like, 13 items and it says 12, especially if
> > there is no line or a short line. I wouldn't count six of one thing as
> > "one item" though.
> >

> They're too fragile to be used again so they just get tossed, can't use them
> to pick up after the dogs or anything. Just feels terribly wasteful.

Thank you for actually picking up after your dogs. People who ****
their dogs on walks and don't clean up after them deserve to have very
bad things happen to them.

> --
> .:Heather:.

--Bryan

The Bubbo wrote:
> sarah bennett wrote:
>

>>I hate produce bags too! But I've seen enough people put gross things in
>>their cart without anything covering them that I use them. I'll use the
>>express lane if I have, like, 13 items and it says 12, especially if
>>there is no line or a short line. I wouldn't count six of one thing as
>>"one item" though.
>>

> They're too fragile to be used again so they just get tossed, can't use them
> to pick up after the dogs or anything. Just feels terribly wasteful.

I hate aquiring stuff just to throw it out. I mean, I save those plastic
grocery bags because I have a use for them as bathroom and bedroom
garbage bags and for, well, stuff that you put in bags. When I have too
many I switch to canvas. If you store fruit in those bags, it just goes
bad more quickly (in my experience). The bags grapes sometimes come in,
with the ventilation holes and the zipper top are nice, but the only
places I've seen that accomodates bring-your-own produce bags are Whole
Foods and the other granola grocer down the street. I can't afford to
shop at either right now, heh.

--

saerah (who needs to make, like, macrame or something out of her plastic
bags because her child keeps dumping them out and insisting she should

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

email:
anisaerah at s b c global.net

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

In article <[email protected]>,
The Bubbo <[email protected]> wrote:

> sarah bennett wrote:
>

> > I hate produce bags too! But I've seen enough people put gross things in
> > their cart without anything covering them that I use them. I'll use the
> > express lane if I have, like, 13 items and it says 12, especially if
> > there is no line or a short line. I wouldn't count six of one thing as
> > "one item" though.
> >

> They're too fragile to be used again so they just get tossed, can't use them
> to pick up after the dogs or anything. Just feels terribly wasteful.

The ones we have in New Zealand are recyclable; they go in the recycling
bin with the milk cartons and glass bottles.

Miche

--
WWMVD?

In article <[email protected]>,
"King's Crown" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I go through the self check most of the time. I've gotten
> to where I'm just as fast if not faster (if no kids are with me) than the
> cashiers.

I _hate_ the self-check. The only supermarket I've visited with them
is Cub Foods and their self-checks are -- well, I guess they fit in
with the rest of the shopping experience there. But they are slow
and WAY TOO LOUD. Between not picking up items on a timely basis to
not handling any exceptions, self-check is a royal PITB to me.

I also don't like the idea of one _more_ task that we now do for
ourselves (like depositing or retrieving our money at the bank or
pumping fuel for our cars) so we don't have to pay some folks a
pittance in wages. It's not like we'll ever see a price break from
using self-check.

sd

Food Snob wrote:

> The Bubbo wrote:
>> sarah bennett wrote:
>>

>> > I hate produce bags too! But I've seen enough people put gross things in
>> > their cart without anything covering them that I use them. I'll use the
>> > express lane if I have, like, 13 items and it says 12, especially if
>> > there is no line or a short line. I wouldn't count six of one thing as
>> > "one item" though.
>> >

>> They're too fragile to be used again so they just get tossed, can't use

them
>> to pick up after the dogs or anything. Just feels terribly wasteful.

> Thank you for actually picking up after your dogs. People who ****
> their dogs on walks and don't clean up after them deserve to have very
> bad things happen to them.
>>
>> --
>> .:Heather:.

> --Bryan

i always always clean up after them when we are on walks or at the dog park.
Sometimes it's difficult to explain why I always have plastic bags in my coat
pockets.
--

sarah bennett wrote:

> I hate aquiring stuff just to throw it out. I mean, I save those plastic
> grocery bags because I have a use for them as bathroom and bedroom
> garbage bags and for, well, stuff that you put in bags. When I have too
> many I switch to canvas. If you store fruit in those bags, it just goes
> bad more quickly (in my experience). The bags grapes sometimes come in,
> with the ventilation holes and the zipper top are nice, but the only
> places I've seen that accomodates bring-your-own produce bags are Whole
> Foods and the other granola grocer down the street. I can't afford to
> shop at either right now, heh.

I need paper bags for recycling and plastic bags for dog **** so I go back and
forth, depending on what I need more. We're low on paper bags so the next time
I go shopping it will be with paper bags.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "King's Crown" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I go through the self check most of the time. I've gotten
> > to where I'm just as fast if not faster (if no kids are with me) than the
> > cashiers.

> I _hate_ the self-check. The only supermarket I've visited with them
> is Cub Foods and their self-checks are -- well, I guess they fit in
> with the rest of the shopping experience there. But they are slow
> and WAY TOO LOUD. Between not picking up items on a timely basis to
> not handling any exceptions, self-check is a royal PITB to me.
>
> I also don't like the idea of one _more_ task that we now do for
> ourselves (like depositing or retrieving our money at the bank or
> pumping fuel for our cars) so we don't have to pay some folks a
> pittance in wages. It's not like we'll ever see a price break from
> using self-check.

The beauty of self-checkout when looked at from the perspective of the
corporate management is that one cashier can now watch four to six
registers. From the customer perspective it means faster checkout in
most cases.

Used to be there were just two in the local Stop & Shop. Now there are
six. And depending on the time of day, you'll actually catch people
using them.

When I enter a supermarket I don't usually buy more than a dozen or so
items. And luckily Stop & Shop finally got real and you enter the four
digit code for produce instead of trying to find it by paging through
screen after screen. In most instances I can scan, bag and pay in about
30 seconds or so.

Same transaction would take about ten minutes in the so called
'express' lane.

The Bubbo wrote:
> Food Snob wrote:
>
>>The Bubbo wrote:

>>>They're too fragile to be used again so they just get tossed, can't use

> them
>
>>>to pick up after the dogs or anything. Just feels terribly wasteful.

>>Thank you for actually picking up after your dogs. People who ****
>>their dogs on walks and don't clean up after them deserve to have very
>>bad things happen to them.
>>
>>>--
>>>.:Heather:.

>>--Bryan
>>

> i always always clean up after them when we are on walks or at the dog park.
> Sometimes it's difficult to explain why I always have plastic bags in my coat
> pockets.

When my daughter was in diapers, I didn't like carrying around another
bag, so I'd fold a diaper, some plastic bags and a ziploc of wet wioes
into my coat pocket when we'd go out. Once I was out at a bar with some
friends from work, and I was looking for my camera and I pulled out a
diaper. :)

--

saerah wrote:

> When my daughter was in diapers, I didn't like carrying around another
> bag, so I'd fold a diaper, some plastic bags and a ziploc of wet wioes
> into my coat pocket when we'd go out. Once I was out at a bar with some
> friends from work, and I was looking for my camera and I pulled out a
> diaper. :)

Douglas Adams co-wrote a book named _The Meaning of Liff_ in which he
proposed new meanings for words which already exist but nobody uses.
(Actually, I think they're all names of places where nobody goes.) The
situation you describe is close to his definition of "Tegucigalpa." I can't
remember it verbatim (and I'm at work at the moment), but it's a social
gaffe caused by inattention. The example he gives is a woman who reaches
into her purse, pulls out what she THINKS is a box of cigarettes, offers it
around to her friends, and then notices that it's actually a box of tampons.

Bob