Re: Today's Priceless Supermarket Moment

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Miche, Mar 17, 2006.

  1. Miche

    Miche Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Default User" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Ranee Mueller wrote:

    > > In which case, I wonder why have the designation at all. If a
    > > rule isn't going to be enforced, don't make it a rule in the first
    > > place.

    > Because most of the time it works. You do get people who (sometimes
    > willfully) violate the rule, but most respect it.

    Augh.

    My dad used to be a wilful violator of that particular rule. To him,
    four loaves of bread was "one item", six cans of soup was "one item",
    etc.

    Miche

    --
    WWMVD?

    Tags:

  2. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    Miche wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Default User" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Ranee Mueller wrote:

    >> > In which case, I wonder why have the designation at all. If a
    >> > rule isn't going to be enforced, don't make it a rule in the first
    >> > place.

    >> Because most of the time it works. You do get people who (sometimes
    >> willfully) violate the rule, but most respect it.

    > Augh.
    >
    > My dad used to be a wilful violator of that particular rule. To him,
    > four loaves of bread was "one item", six cans of soup was "one item",
    > etc.
    >
    > Miche

    my only frustration is that I don't like using those plastic produce bags but
    if I stick all my apples or tomatoes into a bag it's one item, but loose they
    are counted seperately.

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com

  3. The Bubbo wrote:
    > Miche wrote:
    >
    >>In article <[email protected]>,

    >>>Because most of the time it works. You do get people who (sometimes
    >>>willfully) violate the rule, but most respect it.

    >>Augh.
    >>
    >>My dad used to be a wilful violator of that particular rule. To him,
    >>four loaves of bread was "one item", six cans of soup was "one item",
    >>etc.
    >>
    >>Miche
    >>

    > my only frustration is that I don't like using those plastic produce bags but
    > if I stick all my apples or tomatoes into a bag it's one item, but loose they
    > are counted seperately.

    I hate produce bags too! But I've seen enough people put gross things in
    their cart without anything covering them that I use them. I'll use the
    express lane if I have, like, 13 items and it says 12, especially if
    there is no line or a short line. I wouldn't count six of one thing as
    "one item" though.

    --

    saerah

    http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

    email:
    anisaerah at s b c global.net

    -Baruch Spinoza

    -Douglas Adams

  4. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    sarah bennett wrote:

    > I hate produce bags too! But I've seen enough people put gross things in
    > their cart without anything covering them that I use them. I'll use the
    > express lane if I have, like, 13 items and it says 12, especially if
    > there is no line or a short line. I wouldn't count six of one thing as
    > "one item" though.

    They're too fragile to be used again so they just get tossed, can't use them
    to pick up after the dogs or anything. Just feels terribly wasteful.

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com
    Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

  5. King's Crown

    King's Crown Guest

    "The Bubbo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > Miche wrote:
    >> In article <[email protected]>,

    >>> Because most of the time it works. You do get people who (sometimes
    >>> willfully) violate the rule, but most respect it.

    >> Augh.
    >>
    >> My dad used to be a wilful violator of that particular rule. To him,
    >> four loaves of bread was "one item", six cans of soup was "one item",
    >> etc.
    >>
    >> Miche
    >>

    > my only frustration is that I don't like using those plastic produce bags
    > but
    > if I stick all my apples or tomatoes into a bag it's one item, but loose
    > they
    > are counted seperately.
    >
    > --
    > .:Heather:.
    > www.velvet-c.com
    > Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

    I figure if it has to be scanned once it's one item. Apples in a bag are
    scanned as one item. Six loaves of bread are scanned as 6 items. If you
    just happen to buy them wrapped in one jumbo super saver deal it will scan
    as one item. I've said loudly to the cashier, "Isn't this the 10 items or
    less line? I'm confused the person in front of me has well over that
    limit?" The cashier never does anything about it. They don't want
    confrontation. I go through the self check most of the time. I've gotten
    to where I'm just as fast if not faster (if no kids are with me) than the
    cashiers.

    Lynne

  6. Food Snob

    Food Snob Guest

    The Bubbo wrote:
    > sarah bennett wrote:
    >

    > > I hate produce bags too! But I've seen enough people put gross things in
    > > their cart without anything covering them that I use them. I'll use the
    > > express lane if I have, like, 13 items and it says 12, especially if
    > > there is no line or a short line. I wouldn't count six of one thing as
    > > "one item" though.
    > >

    > They're too fragile to be used again so they just get tossed, can't use them
    > to pick up after the dogs or anything. Just feels terribly wasteful.

    Thank you for actually picking up after your dogs. People who shit
    their dogs on walks and don't clean up after them deserve to have very
    bad things happen to them.

    > --
    > .:Heather:.

    --Bryan

  7. The Bubbo wrote:
    > sarah bennett wrote:
    >

    >>I hate produce bags too! But I've seen enough people put gross things in
    >>their cart without anything covering them that I use them. I'll use the
    >>express lane if I have, like, 13 items and it says 12, especially if
    >>there is no line or a short line. I wouldn't count six of one thing as
    >>"one item" though.
    >>

    > They're too fragile to be used again so they just get tossed, can't use them
    > to pick up after the dogs or anything. Just feels terribly wasteful.

    I hate aquiring stuff just to throw it out. I mean, I save those plastic
    grocery bags because I have a use for them as bathroom and bedroom
    garbage bags and for, well, stuff that you put in bags. When I have too
    many I switch to canvas. If you store fruit in those bags, it just goes
    bad more quickly (in my experience). The bags grapes sometimes come in,
    with the ventilation holes and the zipper top are nice, but the only
    places I've seen that accomodates bring-your-own produce bags are Whole
    Foods and the other granola grocer down the street. I can't afford to
    shop at either right now, heh.

    --

    saerah (who needs to make, like, macrame or something out of her plastic
    bags because her child keeps dumping them out and insisting she should

    http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

    email:
    anisaerah at s b c global.net

    -Baruch Spinoza

    -Douglas Adams

  8. Miche

    Miche Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    The Bubbo <[email protected]> wrote:

    > sarah bennett wrote:
    >

    > > I hate produce bags too! But I've seen enough people put gross things in
    > > their cart without anything covering them that I use them. I'll use the
    > > express lane if I have, like, 13 items and it says 12, especially if
    > > there is no line or a short line. I wouldn't count six of one thing as
    > > "one item" though.
    > >

    > They're too fragile to be used again so they just get tossed, can't use them
    > to pick up after the dogs or anything. Just feels terribly wasteful.

    The ones we have in New Zealand are recyclable; they go in the recycling
    bin with the milk cartons and glass bottles.

    Miche

    --
    WWMVD?

  9. me

    me Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "King's Crown" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I go through the self check most of the time. I've gotten
    > to where I'm just as fast if not faster (if no kids are with me) than the
    > cashiers.

    I _hate_ the self-check. The only supermarket I've visited with them
    is Cub Foods and their self-checks are -- well, I guess they fit in
    with the rest of the shopping experience there. But they are slow
    and WAY TOO LOUD. Between not picking up items on a timely basis to
    not handling any exceptions, self-check is a royal PITB to me.

    I also don't like the idea of one _more_ task that we now do for
    ourselves (like depositing or retrieving our money at the bank or
    pumping fuel for our cars) so we don't have to pay some folks a
    pittance in wages. It's not like we'll ever see a price break from
    using self-check.

    sd

  10. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    Food Snob wrote:

    > The Bubbo wrote:
    >> sarah bennett wrote:
    >>

    >> > I hate produce bags too! But I've seen enough people put gross things in
    >> > their cart without anything covering them that I use them. I'll use the
    >> > express lane if I have, like, 13 items and it says 12, especially if
    >> > there is no line or a short line. I wouldn't count six of one thing as
    >> > "one item" though.
    >> >

    >> They're too fragile to be used again so they just get tossed, can't use

    them
    >> to pick up after the dogs or anything. Just feels terribly wasteful.

    > Thank you for actually picking up after your dogs. People who shit
    > their dogs on walks and don't clean up after them deserve to have very
    > bad things happen to them.
    >>
    >> --
    >> .:Heather:.

    > --Bryan

    i always always clean up after them when we are on walks or at the dog park.
    Sometimes it's difficult to explain why I always have plastic bags in my coat
    pockets.
    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com
    Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

  11. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    sarah bennett wrote:

    > I hate aquiring stuff just to throw it out. I mean, I save those plastic
    > grocery bags because I have a use for them as bathroom and bedroom
    > garbage bags and for, well, stuff that you put in bags. When I have too
    > many I switch to canvas. If you store fruit in those bags, it just goes
    > bad more quickly (in my experience). The bags grapes sometimes come in,
    > with the ventilation holes and the zipper top are nice, but the only
    > places I've seen that accomodates bring-your-own produce bags are Whole
    > Foods and the other granola grocer down the street. I can't afford to
    > shop at either right now, heh.

    I need paper bags for recycling and plastic bags for dog poop so I go back and
    forth, depending on what I need more. We're low on paper bags so the next time
    I go shopping it will be with paper bags.

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com
    Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

  12. T

    T Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "King's Crown" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I go through the self check most of the time. I've gotten
    > > to where I'm just as fast if not faster (if no kids are with me) than the
    > > cashiers.

    > I _hate_ the self-check. The only supermarket I've visited with them
    > is Cub Foods and their self-checks are -- well, I guess they fit in
    > with the rest of the shopping experience there. But they are slow
    > and WAY TOO LOUD. Between not picking up items on a timely basis to
    > not handling any exceptions, self-check is a royal PITB to me.
    >
    > I also don't like the idea of one _more_ task that we now do for
    > ourselves (like depositing or retrieving our money at the bank or
    > pumping fuel for our cars) so we don't have to pay some folks a
    > pittance in wages. It's not like we'll ever see a price break from
    > using self-check.

    The beauty of self-checkout when looked at from the perspective of the
    corporate management is that one cashier can now watch four to six
    registers. From the customer perspective it means faster checkout in
    most cases.

    Used to be there were just two in the local Stop & Shop. Now there are
    six. And depending on the time of day, you'll actually catch people
    using them.

    When I enter a supermarket I don't usually buy more than a dozen or so
    items. And luckily Stop & Shop finally got real and you enter the four
    digit code for produce instead of trying to find it by paging through
    screen after screen. In most instances I can scan, bag and pay in about
    30 seconds or so.

    Same transaction would take about ten minutes in the so called
    'express' lane.

  13. The Bubbo wrote:
    > Food Snob wrote:
    >
    >>The Bubbo wrote:

    >>>They're too fragile to be used again so they just get tossed, can't use

    > them
    >
    >>>to pick up after the dogs or anything. Just feels terribly wasteful.

    >>Thank you for actually picking up after your dogs. People who shit
    >>their dogs on walks and don't clean up after them deserve to have very
    >>bad things happen to them.
    >>
    >>>--
    >>>.:Heather:.

    >>--Bryan
    >>

    > i always always clean up after them when we are on walks or at the dog park.
    > Sometimes it's difficult to explain why I always have plastic bags in my coat
    > pockets.

    When my daughter was in diapers, I didn't like carrying around another
    bag, so I'd fold a diaper, some plastic bags and a ziploc of wet wioes
    into my coat pocket when we'd go out. Once I was out at a bar with some
    friends from work, and I was looking for my camera and I pulled out a
    diaper. :)

    --

  14. saerah wrote:

    > When my daughter was in diapers, I didn't like carrying around another
    > bag, so I'd fold a diaper, some plastic bags and a ziploc of wet wioes
    > into my coat pocket when we'd go out. Once I was out at a bar with some
    > friends from work, and I was looking for my camera and I pulled out a
    > diaper. :)

    Douglas Adams co-wrote a book named _The Meaning of Liff_ in which he
    proposed new meanings for words which already exist but nobody uses.
    (Actually, I think they're all names of places where nobody goes.) The
    situation you describe is close to his definition of "Tegucigalpa." I can't
    remember it verbatim (and I'm at work at the moment), but it's a social
    gaffe caused by inattention. The example he gives is a woman who reaches
    into her purse, pulls out what she THINKS is a box of cigarettes, offers it
    around to her friends, and then notices that it's actually a box of tampons.

    Bob