UK and Europe · Public discussion

Re: Tourer or Audax bike?

Started by Peter Clinch · · Last activity · 1 post · 464 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
9 May 2007
Last activity
9 May 2007
Original author
Peter Clinch
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
464
Views / 30 days
4

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. John Halliwell said:

    Poor road surfaces are a concern though, my 10 speed is on 27*1.25"
    tyres, which only just seem to cope with some road surfaces. I had
    thought about buying an Audax type bike with an additional set of
    touring wheels to swap as appropriate but I'm not sure how big an issue
    matching the chainrings/cassettes might be (I'd prefer lower gears on
    the touring wheels)?

    So I'm looking for a fastish bike I can ride all day, with drop bars and
    will take a carrier and mudguards. From a bit of research, this sounds
    like the recipe for an Audax/Sportive bike, but might a stripped tourer
    be a better (or equal) option?

    Sporting semi-low recumbent with full suspension would be my choice for
    that. Better aero than a drop bar racer, and an order of magnitude more
    comfortable. Available with racks too, and the suspension will see it
    through crappy corners at speed faster and safer than a "normal" bike.

    Something like this... http://kinetics.org.uk/html/speedmachine.shtml

    If you don't want to go recumbent then road-going suspension is still an
    option (as are racks and 'guards) on something like the Pashley TSR
    http://www.tsr.uk.com/, but personally I much prefer the Comfy Chair
    Way, with no need to lean on your arms all day.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.